How to "Hide" folders!!!

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I know that I have seen this asked and was wondering how to do it myself.

Let's say you have some media on your device that you don't want prying eyes to stumble across in your Gallery. As it is right now Android does a stellar job finding your media and adding it to your gallery. I found this video showing how to hide a folder by renaming the folder using Astro and adding a "." to the beginning of the folder name.

YouTube - Android: Hide Folders From Gallery App

I apologize if this is common knowledge but I hadn't found the answer prior to this.

And what do you know, 5 threads down is this very topic! Please feel free to delete this one for redundancy. My apologies.

Last edited:

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Nice tip. Yeah, makes sense as in linux a folder with a period at the beginning of the name makes it hidden. Same should be true for files as well.

drawkward

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Great tip. I was just looking for this...I figured there had to be a way. Thanks! Now if there was only a way to lock folder with a password I'd be even happier :cool:

quadri.owais07

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have galaxy SII Skyrocket. I would like to know how to hide folders outside gallery?
HomeScreen --> Applications. At this place I want to create a folder n hide it...!

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Even better, any folder you don't want to show up in Gallery, you just need to put an empty file in said folder called .nomedia yes with a dot at the beginning. That way you don't need to rename the folder, something that may break some apps if they store images on these folders...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz