Moving pictures to my SD Card?

kninessss

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I assumed pictures would automatically be saved on my SD Card but they haven't. I get the "phone storage is full" message all the time and the only thing I can think is that I have many pictures in gallery. How can I move the pictures to the SD card, that nothing is going to???

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Mine is saved to sd card by default unless there's no sd card. You can manually move the pictures i guess by using a file manager.

kninessss

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine is saved to sd card by default unless there's no sd card. You can manually move the pictures i guess by using a file manager.
A file manager??? Is that on my phone, if so how do I get to it? If its an app or software, how do I get it and once I have it, how do I use it? Can anyone give me some simple, easy to follow steps of how to move my pictures to my SD card, please? Would be greatly appreciated, I am super basic on technology. Came on here to get some answers with instructions.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
File managers by default do not come on the phones.
Look at Astro, Root Explorer (I use this one) etc.
What phone do you have?
It may be as simple as connecting to your computer and dragging them from the dcim/ folder to a folder on your sd card.

BTW welcome to the forums!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
You may also want to check the settings in your camera app to see if you can set where pictures are saved, and if you can set it to save to the SD. If the default app doesn't give you that option, you might try a 3rd party camera app that does. That would be easier than constantly having to manually move pix to the SD.

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
it would help if you stated what phone you have. the built in camera app on some phones have a setting which allows photos to be stored on sd.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Samsung and Motorola phones tend to come with Stock File Managers (it's part of their customizations (Moto Platform and TouchWiz)). HTC Sense devices I've never seen come with a stock file manager, at least not those that I've used.

Dragging them to the SD Card while in USB Mass Storage mode on a computer will also work :p.

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
how would i go about this usb mass storage, moving? lol i'm so confused with all of this. I have about 500 photos and videos on my phone from vacations and i can't seem to move them to my sd card. I just got an sd card reader and nothing is working. Please help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.

2. Make sure you have USB Mass Storage selected as the connection option on your phone. If it doesn't prompt you, you can also swipe down the notifications, tap Connection, then select the proper option.

3. Wait for the phone's storage areas to pop up on your PC as drives. If you have an external SD card installed, two drives should appear (one for the phone memory, one for the external SD card). The letter of the drives will vary depending on your computer, so make a note of what those letters are.

4. Exit out of the popup windows, open Windows File Explorer, and you can now drag and drop your files. The directory for the camera photos should be [drive letter:]/dcim/camera/.

If you're using file explorer app on your phone, then the directory for the photos in the phone memory is /mnt/sdcard/dcim/camera, while that for the external SD card is /mnt/sdcard-ext/dcim/camera.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Make sure your card is formatted in your phone. You can't just stick a memory card in a device and it work out of the box.
It has to be formatted. Once that is done as mentioned above you should see two drives in your computer.

If you already tried copying them over and now don't see them in the card that is another issue entirely.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Audrey Swinden

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Stellar and I bought an 8 GB memory card and for some reason, all of my items won't automatically go onto the card so I always get this "Not enough space. Please delete unnecessary items such as documents, pictures, videos, etc." But I don't even have that much stuff on here and I don't know how to transfer stuff onto the card. Can someone help me out?:'(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What exactly are you trying to move to the SD card? Apps, music, photos, videos? Keep in mind that the option of moving an app to SD card doesn't actually mean the external SD card--it refers to the internal phone memory, which the system considers a kind of permanent SD card. Most lower end phones don't have much internal phone memory, so it can fill up quickly, making it difficult to move any more apps or other files there.

If you're trying to move discrete files like music files, photos, or videos, then install a file manager app like ES File Explorer and use it to explore the external SD card. The directory of the external SD card depends on what version of Android you have--for earlier versions (i.e., before Jellybean), it's usually /mnt/sdcard-ext. For Jellybean, it's /storage/sdcard1.

AndroidUser126

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I want to move important things like photos, apps and music, etc. to my SD Card And reset my phone. Can someone take me through the process on how to do so? Iv'e tried moving things to my SD Card but when i check the Card it says nothing is on it. Also, I want to move my music from PvStar+ playlist to my SD Card. Can someone provide information on useful backups that can backup EVERYTHING i need and restore it after resetting my phone? Im using a Motorola Droid RAZR.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I want to move important things like photos, apps and music, etc. to my SD Card And reset my phone. Can someone take me through the process on how to do so? Iv'e tried moving things to my SD Card but when i check the Card it says nothing is on it. Also, I want to move my music from PvStar+ playlist to my SD Card. Can someone provide information on useful backups that can backup EVERYTHING i need and restore it after resetting my phone? Im using a Motorola Droid RAZR.

Welcome to Android Central! First of all, you can't move apps to the external SD card unless you're rooted. If you've installed your apps from Google Play or Amazon Appstore, you will be able to download and reinstall them again once you've reset your phone.

Moving your photos, music, and video files should be fairly straightforward. Which file manager app are you using? The stock Files app on the Razr is ok, but moving many files might be tedious. I suggest installing a good 3rd party app like Total Commander or ES File Explorer. However, this might still be tedious on the phone, so you could also consider moving the files by connecting to your computer via USB, and using Windows Explorer to drag and drop files.

Another option is to use AirDroid to allow your computer to access your phone's files over wifi. You can then move files within the phone using a desktop interface.

lorapedersen

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I assumed pictures would automatically be saved on my SD Card but they haven't. I get the "phone storage is full" message all the time and the only thing I can think is that I have many pictures in gallery. How can I move the pictures to the SD card, that nothing is going to???