applications question (not about the apps themselves)

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
this may be a dumb, android 101 question, but here goes..

on my xoom, whenever i flash a new rom, it downloads all apps I've ever used, even ones I uninstall come back. I'm assuming it's tied to my account, but where can i tell it to stop doing that? If I uninstall something, I don't want it back..

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When you install a new ROM, factory-installed apps are part of the ROM, so they get installed too. You can learn how to be a ROM developer and, before you flash a new ROM, remove all the apps you don't want. Or you can just uninstall them from the phone after you flash it. You're never going to get a custom ROM - one without the apps you don't want - from the vendor.

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
You misunderstand, I'm still on the stock ROM.
I'm talking about market apps that I install, uninstall, then return in thier own..

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"whenever i flash a new rom" means that you're not still on the original ROM that was flashed at the factory. Even if you reflash exactly the same ROM, it comes with those apps that you uninstall, so every time you flash it you get it with those apps. You'd have to rewrite the ROM to delete those apps in the file you use to flash the ROM.

It's like filling a jar with water that has poison in it. You change the poison to something else, empty the jar and refill it from the same source. The jar now has poison in it again. The poison comes from where you're filling the jar. The apps come from the file you're flashing the ROM with.

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
ok, let me try this again, I may have been unclear..

my inc2 was stock, I just dropped CM9 on it.
I did a full wipe, factory reset, cleared cache and dalvic, even formatted the SD card.

when it booted for the first time (after my account was entered) it began downloading and installing all of the apps I used to have on the phone. (no settings, only the base apps)

at no point had I done any kind of backup (titanium or otherwise) so I have to assume this is a google thing "we know you had these, since it's the same device, let's help by adding them back"

here are my questions;

1 - am I correct to assume it's a google feature doing the re-install (how else would it know what to add?)

2 - is there a way to modify the list (as I am not using all of these apps anymore)

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
here are my questions;

1 - am I correct to assume it's a google feature doing the re-install (how else would it know what to add?)
Never seen that happen (and I've flashed CM ROMs.)

2 - is there a way to modify the list (as I am not using all of these apps anymore)
There's no list of old apps in CM9 and I don't think it's a Google thing.

However - if they're system apps, they may also be in the CM9 ROM. Whether you use them or not, most ROMs come with a whole load of system apps.

Is there any way of removing them from the ROM? Sure. Just open it up, remove the apps and remake it. There are a few intermediate steps - like months of learning how to do it.

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
the apps were not pre-installed. I understand the concept of apps coming with roms, I rom my xoom all the time.

after the device is booted and linked to my account, the play store starts pulling down these apps itself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca