Did I BRICK my phone in one day??? Stuck on Samsung Screen

boswbr25

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I think I may have just bricked my phone after one day. Can anyone help let me know if I should toss this thing in the garbage or if there is another way to get it to boot that I am not finding.

Some background info... I rooted the Samsung Infuse that I just had bought used and I was trying to follow these instructions (http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-samsung-infuse/115831-rom-manager-backup-stock-rom.html) to get Clockworkmod to backup my old rom because it would not work by default:

Unzip it
copy unzipped file contents. Should be just "Recovery"
Browse to /system/bin/
Enable read write access if need be
find "Recovery" and rename it (Recovery.bak)
paste downloaded Recovery file
Reboot
Install update.zip from recovery (might have to try 3 times)

I got to the final step and in a moment of stupidity (I'm thinking it must have been now) I clicked the Install button from Rom Manager and chose the Update.zip file. My phone then went to reboot and got stuck on the Samsung screen. I swear I have tried every combination of the power, volume and home buttons being held down to get into recovery mode but have not been able to. I guess looking back I should have used a lot more caution but it just seemed from everything I read that everyone could always get into the recovery screen if nothing else. I guess I have got to use to messing around on Linux where I can always use a live CD and chroot in if I do something stupid.

Let me know if there is any more information I can provide that would help someone understand my problem. I am comfortable with command line if there is any way to get it off this screen. I am just under the assumption that I am screwed because it won't go into recovery mode now. Sucks because now my girlfriend will never let me root again since she was already saying I was stupid this time.

Any suggestions are welcome. It will becoming a coaster otherwise and I will be stuck going back to my iPhone 3gs.

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry too much, it's not totally bricked. It can be flashed with Odin to restore a stock rom but all data except the external sd card will be wiped. But at least it'll be working :)

I was looking on XDA and found a one click program that flashes a stock rooted rom with Odin automatically. It should get your phone up and running a little easier. The link is below. Let us know if you get it working or need some help.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1524081

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

boswbr25

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I haven't gotten it to work yet because it isn't recognizing my device is plugged in for some reason. I know I have the drivers installed so I'm not sure why but I'm going to keep messing with it.

It was just good to see my phone go to something other than the Samsung screen when I got it into "Download Mode". That at least gives me hope that there is a chance it could be fixed.

boswbr25

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Thans Ronnie2. I will give that a try too. My problem now is that my only Windows computer is a work laptop that I cannot run in Administrator mode. My personal PC is an old computer that I have linux on. I tried the link SellinCLT85 provided bc it works on Linux but I can't get the computer to recognize the device. This tends to happen on that computer a lot bc it has USB 1.1 and has trouble recognizing new devices.

I'm going to keep messing around for awhile but might just have to go to a friend's house where I can run their PC as an administrator.

boswbr25

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
So I think the situation might be worse than I was assuming after reading both your posts. After like 2 hours of trying I was finally able to get the Heimdall One-click in Ronnie2's link to read my phone. But when I tried to download it to my phone, it seemed to be working right at first but then I got a FACTORYFS upload failed message. It then said "Ending session...", "ERROR: Failed to send end session packet!" and lastly "Re-attaching kernel driver...".

After sitting on this screen with no progress for around an hour, I decided to give up and start over (which was probably another mistake, but there seemed to be nothing happening after an hour of waiting). When I tried to get the phone back into Download Mode, it now says "Fireware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again.". I then tried to use a .tar.gz file for the Samsung Infuse with the Heimdall frontend. It started uploading the files to the phone again and then got the same error and has currently been sitting there for about 20 minutes.

Is this a lost cause or does anyone have any other ideas?

Edit: Ok, I guess I am overreacting after reading a couple xda forums. They all seem to say that it is really hard to brick a device to the point that it cannot be fixed. I just can't seem to get it to work yet. I cannot get any of the methods on Windows to detect my phone. Heimdall will detect it every time but it just doesn't seem to want to install FACTORYFS.

Last edited:

boswbr25

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Got it working!!! I think the problem must have been a faulty USB port bc I decided to switch to a different port and ran the Heimdall One-click again and it made it all the way through.

I am having a couple issues that I think are related to the fact that it is on Gingerbread instead of Froyo now. I kept getting errors asking me to Force Close. I'm going through and installing all the apps and then I'm going to try to reinstall. Hopefully that will help since they will now be installed while the phone is on Gingerbread.

Thanks for the help! I thought this thing was done for last night. Now I know not to overreact if something goes wrong. Also, I probably will be a little more careful after I root the phone again.

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply, I work weird hours on weekends. I'm glad you got your phone working again. I wouldn't worry too much...everyone bootloops a phone every once in a while. Feel free to hit me up if you have a question. While I don't have the same phone, all these Samsung phones are very similar in how to restore, root, ect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae