Virus Protection

Joe H.

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I was just wondering what the general consensus was on using virus protection apps on android phones and tablets? If they're really needed at all?

I had been using the Norton app on my Motorola Atrix for a quite a while, but recently I opened up the app and looked through the entire log for if it's found any malware, or virus, or whatnot. And I didn't find a one, over 6 months of use. So I uninstalled the app.

The reason I was even thinking about this was because I got my girlfriend a new transformer tf300 for her birthday, she had never owned a tablet before (currently an iphone user, that I'm trying to convert), and naturally she asked me if I thought she should put a virus protection app on. I told her not to worry about it, but showed her how to keep an eye on the permissions the apps she downloads ask for.

Just wondering if I'm way off base here? Thanks

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that can really harm your phone is malware, and you don't get that unless you install shady apps from questionable websites. You're fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I personally like Lookout. As an administrator of 40 Android tablets it gives me a little peace of mind that if the techs install questionable apps, Lookout will catch it. Also, I can locate, lock and remote wipe if needed.

On my personal phone I'm also using the premium service.

adamMST

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that can really harm your phone is malware, and you don't get that unless you install shady apps from questionable websites. You're fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

This might be a stupid question but when you say apps obtained from questionable websites, does google-play store, or the amazon app store pretty well stay on top of that kind of stuff? I dont get apps from anywhere else but i feel like a couple that i have might be messing my phone up. Things are running just a little weird since i installed some random stuff from the play store. Thanks for any help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow