1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Default Turn off all data EXCEPT GV

Hi everyone,

I got an Android phone today (Samsung Transform Ultra) and I would like to use Google Voice for texting. I only have 100 MBs of data, however, so I would like to make sure that no other applications are using any data. How do I disable all data except for the data going to my Google Voice app?

Thanks!

Default Re: Turn off all data EXCEPT GV

You can't set data so that only "one thing" uses it... just make sure you don't download apps that use background data basically.
    Thanked by:
    ryura 
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

droidmyme is correct, as far as I know.

There are some Data Management options in Settings, if you haven't checked that out, do so.

Additionally, whatever apps you have installed that do any sort of Syncing, or, automatically update, disable that or set it to the maximum time limit.

Lastly, keep an eye on your data usage. Throw a widget on your desktop that lets you know how much data you have used this cycle. I keep the one from Verizon on mine. And, if you are just about to hit that 100 MB mark, turn off data and wait patiently for your cycle to reset.
    Thanked by:
    ryura 

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Make sure all syncing is off and that any apps that use data are set for manual updating, or wifi only. That should take care of most of it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Thanks guys. I guess I was hoping there was some app that would let me look at the background data preferences for all my other apps. I'm using 3G watchdog to see if anything is using data and disabling it when it is.

Also, how can I remove the built-in Sprint apps on my phone?
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button if someone helped you.

Quote Originally Posted by ryura View Post

Also, how can I remove the built-in Sprint apps on my phone?
    As far as I know, not much bloatware can be removed without rooting. I am not rooted and was able to remove maybe 5% of the bloatware from my X2.
    Thanked by:
    ryura