1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how do you guys switch up phones so much?

alot of you guys make it seem like you get a new phone a few times a year.
    well, i am going to start my own plan in a few months, teach me the tricks so i can get a new phone every year or so.
    i've always upgraded every 2 years (or like 18 months) on my parents plan. went from like
    moto krazr>bb storm>droid x> ??

Its a headache but Craigslist is really helpful. When you get into 4G territory it is easier, but personally for me, its not worth the risk.

- Sent from DiNc2

I either trade with/without cash or save up cash to get it and look for the best deals.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Craigslist, people use their upgrades and sell brand new phones for like $400. Cheaper when slightly used

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Default Re: how do you guys switch up phones so much?

I'm an indie developer and sometimes I need to buy the latest phones for testing devices. Usually I'll try to get them cheap on local "used" sites or ebay, and if needed, I'll sell my older devices to help soften the blow.

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Check with the carriers you plan on going with. Some may offer frequent upgrades (yearly) versus the typical 2-year upgrade. Also, going to Craigslist, Ebay, etc is a good way to get discounted phones. Keep in mind that by going this route you'll likely find deals with older devices, which is no problem at all unless if you want the latest and greatest.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

At the end of the day changing phones like shirts is a $ losing proposition. When you get a new subsidized device you would have to then buy an off contract device and hope to sell the "old" device for a decent sum. Since it's only 6 months old you most likely can, depending on where you live.

So you pay $299 or $399 for an On Contract phone. Off Contract price likely between $500 and $600. You use it for 6 months and sell it for $400 - $450 - then you plop down another $500 - $600 for an off contract phone. You lose $100 - $200 each time.

The people who do this are either wealthy tech junkies who have to have the latest and greatest, or people who have to maintain the latest and greatest for their job.

You are better off getting a good high-end device that has a strong developer following and then root and ROM the sucker. You will get updates faster then the Stock ROM will and the ability to switch between ROMs is like getting a new phone every time you do it.

With that said - something like the Galaxy Nexus in the Play Store for $399 unlocked and off contract. You can put any GSM SIM you want in it and it will always have a big developer community plus the fastest updates.

Hope this helps.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Stig, you posted my thoughts. A big +1. Maybe not on the Nexus, though. "No one will ever need more than 640k of RAM", remember? I like having the option of sticking a larger SD card into the beast. And with my eyes I really need a screen larger than that. The Note is barely large enough for me to not need my reading glasses. (But getting old is still the better alternative to staring up at grass roots.)

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

LOL - You might want to look into to the Accessibility options!

As Jimmy Buffet said - "I'm growing older but not up, my metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck, may the winds of time blow over my head, I'd rather die while i'm living then live while i'm dead."

Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.