Which phone should I go with on sprint?

Tonio21

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is in the right place or not but here it goes. I currently have a Epic 4G touch and sprint. I have one more annual upgrade in september before I am out of the program on Sprint. I have from september to december of this year for my last 1 year upgrade.
What I am wondering is, which phone should I go with ? We have the HTC Evo LTE and the GSIII. Also I have the option of going with the Galaxy Nexus which I don't really want because of the lack of micro SD slot. Also there is still the rumor of more than one version of Nexus phone's being released this year.

The HTC evo has the multitasking "issue" going on as well as other quirks. The GSIII has it's own little quirks and issues as well. Also, I read a couple of articles saying that sprint has scrapped the ICS update for the GSII to make people get the GSIII. No idea if that is true but something else I am thinking about. In terms of if they did scrap the update for the GSII this year what stops them from doing it next year and etc ?

Anyway, which phone would you folks out there go with ??

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Sprint won't leave the E4GT on Gingerbread. There has been a lot of development already put into ICS for the device.

If you are on a budget get the E4GT since its still a great device. Otherwise, the two you mentioned will be the heavy hitters through the summer. Regardless of the quirks each one has, it will ultimately be up to you to decide on which meets your needs and if you can live with the problems.

Personally, I'd go with the SIII. That's just base on my experiences with the device in the short time I have used it.

Reactions: justdlb and Tonio21

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a similar position. I'm about to get a new phone on Sprint, and I'm leaning towards the EVO LTE, but I haven't taken the plunge just yet because of the Galaxy S III. If your upgrade was tomorrow, you should probably pick one of these two phones. If you absolutely must have a removable battery, a capacitive menu button, and some of the nice software features Samsung added (Smart Stay, etc.), go with the S III. If that deprecated menu button annoys you to no end, you want arguably the best screen ever slapped on a phone, and a kickstand and Beats Audio attracts you, go with the EVO. But a list of features does not an experience make. If you listen to what the AC writers are saying, Touchwiz makes them want to install 3rd-party launchers and custom ROM's. Sense does not. If you know you're gonna go the custom ROM route anyway, the 2GB of RAM on the S III is attractive. If your not into that, you may be more satisfied with the EVO. To fix the Sense multitasking issue, you can root and slightly tweak some things like this guy did, while still keeping the Sense experience.

It'll be hard to go wrong with either phone, though. Both have ICS, large screens, and great cameras. Both are big releases for 2012 and will receive great support from devs.

But your upgrade isn't tomorrow, and maybe that's a blessing in disguise. With your Epic 4G Touch, you still get 4G WiMAX, which is certainly better than Sprint's crappy 3G speeds. If you live in a big city, you may want to wait as long as you can (as long as December) before upgrading to keep your 4G. By that time, you may have Sprint LTE if you live in a big city, and if you don't, you still minimize your time without 4G. The Epic 4G Touch is still a great phone. Of course, if your in one of the first cities to get LTE, you'll probably want to upgrade ASAP.

Sorry that was so long, but at least we have to choose between awesome phones, not crappy phones.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Go to a Sprint store and play with the phones you're thinking about. No matter what anyone says here, your eyes and your hands will make the ultimate decision. Use what you read here to eliminate choices, not to make them.

Reactions: Tonio21

justdlb

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to know which phone is best on Sprint too. I've been using my daughters Samsung Galaxy 2 smartphone and I need a phone for myself I'd like to use Sprint, I was thinking of the Samaung Galaxy 3 of the Droid Maxx. Any input on which would be best is welcome. Thanks.

Tonio21

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply so far. I may just wait until december and then take the plunge for a new phone. I am into rooting and ROMming so either phone would work really. I have a E4GT now, I do like it a lot. It will carry me into December as long as I manage my apps and everything right. Before I got the E4GT last year, I had an epic 4G. I was transitioning from blackberry to android and the keyboard helped a lot. Only thing was the bulk of the phone. I have used sense and don't really have a problem with it but I would most likely get bored with the manufacturer's skin on the phone. So basically I have about 6 months for new phones and whatever else to come out before I HAVE to make a decision. Again, thanks for the help to everyone who has replied so far.

justdlb

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for answers, Sprint has excellent coverage in our area. AT&T service was a horror here. I suppose I could try Verizon. Daughter kindly lent me her Galaxy 2 I had to give my phone to my husband, job loss company closing so he lost his clown phone that they provided, although it was free. I've been on oxygen since I was 30 so I shop online.I'll check into the E4GT also Thank You very much, greatly appreciated.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOSHE TVITO