Workaround 4.0.4 auto bluetooth pair problem

DJ41

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I have figured out a work-around for the auto pairing failure. I will give a step by step workaround how I did it. In my situation, I have a Mazda CX-5 and a Samsung Galaxy S3. But I am confident, that it will work with all Android 4.0.4 versions and other carkits, because the problem is most likely the same issue.

The reason why the phone won't auto pair, is because the phone does not give your carkit permission to download call history and other data. Even if you granted the phone this permission with the initial pairing.

If you have a carkit that supports multiple bluetooth profiles (multiple phones), like my Mazda CX-5 does, then you can also have your phonebook downloaded to your car. If your carkit supports multiple profiles, start with step 1. If yours doesn't, start with step 7. This guide is specifically for the Mazda CX-5, so some steps may be (slightly) different for your car model or make.

Here is the step by step guide:

1. Make sure you have no existing bluetooth pairs. Clear all pairs in your carkit and your phone.

2. Pair the phone with your carkit. You can see the randomly generated code on your phone and on the car display. Press ok to pair. (other carkits may need you to input "0000" of "1234", or maybe you have to input a code yourself)

3. Your phone will ask 2 questions about permissions. Check the box and allow. The phone will start to sync.

4. You carkit is done with syncing and it will ask you if you want to download your phonebook. Do this.

5. When its done copying, clear the Bluetooth pair on your phone (not on the Carkit!)

6. Give your phone a different Bluetooth name

7. In your carkit choose to pair a new phone (with the new name you just entered).

8. When the phone asks for permission for the carkit, check the box and choose cancel. Do this for both questions.

You don't have to copy your phonebook again (you can't anyway because you denied permission), but the phonebook that was downloaded earlier will still be available. Now the phone will pair automatically! With this trick you have your phonebook and automatic pairing.

I haven't seen what this does for media-audio streaming. I don't use that, but I can image that it doesn't work, because of the denied permissions.

There is another downside to this though (there always is, isn't it?). You cannot update your phonebook easily. If you want to update your phonebook, repeat the whole procedure.

I hope this will work for other people with different phones and cars too. At least this is a workaround until Google/Samsung comes with a fix. Please let us know if this works in your situation. To keep things structured, please use this format:

Car: Mazda CX-5
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3
Works: Yes

Belleta

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi..... So I have a cx5 and my phone (galaxy nexus) pairs with no problems.... However, the phonebook (people app) will not download. only my own number downloads. any ideas on that one?

Last edited:

sable2759

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
hi there have the problem that my in built car system wont connect to my samsung 2 address book i have version 4.0.4 andriod i can get the bluetooth to work and get up to step 4 but then my phone has a message on it which saids the bluetooth has stopped sharing i have to click ok then i try and connect to the phone book on the car but it comes up with phone book error
hope u can help me my car is a 2010 holden ssv oh my phone worked fine in the car till my son updated my samsung i think the version i had on was 4.0.0 not quite sure of that though

kvkeerthi

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
how do you switch the bluetooth between headset to car inbuilt bluetooth automatically.

Scenario:

Phone already paired to Nokia headset and also Car inbuilt bluetooth.

Phone is connected to Nokia now. When I move in to the car it won't switch/connect to the car inbuilt bluetooth with out manually selecting it. Why android can't do this?

MPStryker

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
The Bluetooth issue with the Android 4.0.4 update for my AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-I777) was its failure to pair with my car's audio system. This failure seems to be caused the the loss of the ability to enter 6-digit pairing codes using Android 4.0.4. After the upgrade I could not pair the phone with my 2010 Ford SYNC system, which generates a 6-digit random pairing code. Previous versions of Android distributed by AT&T for this phone did accept the 6-digit codes. A Ford posting gave a method for solving the problem using "reverse-pairing", outlined here:

SYNC & SYNC with MyFord | How to Reverse Pair your SYNC & Phone | Ford.com .

In reverse pairing, the SYNC system generates a plain 0000 pairing code, which is accepted by the phone. After the reverse-pairing, everything worked fine, including the phonebook download, music streaming and all SYNC functions I have tried.

I have pasted in the Ford employee's posting in green below. I first removed all Bluetooth devices from the phone by unpairing them and powering the phone off and then on, and I then deleted all devices from the SYNC system. I did NOT do the Master Reset of the SYNC system that was suggested, though I suppose it would have done no harm.

Many Android users have experienced concerns after the recent 4.0 (Ice Cream sandwich) update.

Any time an update is made to your phone or SYNC, we recommend resetting the system and pairing your phone again. Below are instructions for how to perform a Master Reset as well as Reverse Pair your phone. Certain phones hold the best connection when paired this way so I highly suggest giving it a try. Instead of the usual process where your phone finds SYNC, SYNC will find your phone:
MyFord Touch | How to Perform a Master Reset | Ford.com
MyFord Touch | About Reverse Phone Pairing with SYNC | Ford.com

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.

Jaclyn
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

KIN9

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Car: Renault Koleos
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Duos S
Works: Yes
Android: 4.0.4
The phone was pairing without a problem, but when connected, radio audio was muted for 3 seconds every 20 seconds.
Using most of your procedure seems to have solved the problem.
I'm not too sure how the phonebook in the car has worked out, but that isn't a problem for me.
Thank you for your efforts.
The Renault dealer and Samsung were of no help at all.
Ian

Robert Brooks3

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Workaround for the HTC One and the TPK_Music handsfree kit

I've had a problem similar to this with my HTC One and the TPK_Music handsfree kit in my VW Golf (the kit is made by Bury but sold by VW),

Since the upgrade in October 2013 (the phone is on the Vodafone network and the upgrade came through on the 18th of October and the phone is now on Android 4.2.2 software nr 2.24.401.8) the handsfree kit lost the plot with the phone and simply cycled round and round, repeatedly crashing out and then reconnecting. I tried everything to stop it including a factory reset for the handsfree kit and pairing, unpairing and deleting the phone from the handsfree kit. Nothing worked until I tried a modified version of the suggestion here

I solved the problem like this:

Delete the phone from the kit and then unpair the kit on the phone - these things will clean the system up

Then pair the kit and the phone

Accept the request to synchronise sent to the phone from the kit

Let them synchronise

Leave the kit on to test that the phone book is OK ? it won?t crash until you turn the engine off and back on as the system only tries to synchronise on startup

When you turn the engine back on, after a minute or two, the phone kit will crash ? that?s because it?s trying to pair with the phone again and once you?ve allowed them to synchronise once subsequent attempts cause the crash (I don't know why but empirically this would seem to be the problem)

While the kit is crashed Unpair the two of them on the PHONE - do NOT delete the phone on the kit

Then go into Bluetooth settings on the phone and rename the phone to something else (NB this will muck up all your other pairings with other devices but they are easily remade)

Then pair again ? the security code is 0000 for the Bury kit

And then do NOT allow them to pair ever again, however much the kit pleads and begs (in fact it only asks once in every connected period)

At the end of this you should be still able to see the phone book that got synchronised under the old name (possibly because it?s linked to the device identity rather than the device name) because you never deleted the device from the phone and thus never deleted the phone book. However the system should be stable because the kit isn?t being allowed to synchronise any more.

I hope that helps for you, it certainly did for me :)

Acapo

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

I am having a similar problem. My Mazda6 will not download the contacts off my Note 2. The phone pairs up with the car but the phonebook doesn't. Anyone else have this problem or have a solution? Thanks

aarlee

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site

I am having a similar problem. My Mazda6 will not download the contacts off my Note 2. The phone pairs up with the car but the phonebook doesn't. Anyone else have this problem or have a solution? Thanks

I've been struggling to figure this out for my Mazda CX-5 for a long time. The phonebook would only partially download with no explicable pattern as to what contacts would and would not be downloaded. I finally found the solution a couple of days ago: get the "Bluetooth Phonebook" app from Google Play.

It costs $1.95 but well worth it. The developer also has a test app that you can try first (it changes a digit on the phone numbers).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta