GS3 vs HTC One X vs Galaxy Nexus

3ibs

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Which should I get and why? I owned. Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks and enjoyed it. I'm worried about having a phone with a skin (TouchWiz or Sense).

Guy4Tech

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. I've had many phones in the past, including all iPhones, the OG Droid, HTC phones and so forth. I went with a Nexus because its a pure Google experience and I'm not worried that the manufacturer will drop support in less than a year. Plus if your into hacking your phone or having hacked apps like live wallpapers from the S3, the GNexus will be the best to run those since you don't have any other UI on top of it

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

3ibs

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. I've had many phones in the past, including all iPhones, the OG Droid, HTC phones and so forth. I went with a Nexus because its a pure Google experience and I'm not worried that the manufacturer will drop support in less than a year. Plus if your into hacking your phone or having hacked apps like live wallpapers from the S3, the GNexus will be the best to run those since you don't have any other UI on top of it

Mike @ guy4tech.com

I currently own an iPhone 4S but I'm a bit bored with it even while it's jailbroken. Can I not root the other 2 phones and customise them to my liking and update the software without having to wait for the manufacturers?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I currently own an iPhone 4S but I'm a bit bored with it even while it's jailbroken. Can I not root the other 2 phones and customise them to my liking and update the software without having to wait for the manufacturers?

Yes. It's just a little more involved than a Nexus would be that would get updates without having to flash ROMs and stuff (or wait months for the carrier to release the update). Not that flashing is overly hard or anything, but it's more technical than just having Google push an update to the phone.

You don't really even have to root to customize your phone and get rid of the skins (just install different launchers). It's when you would want to flash a new ROM or something that it starts getting more technical.

I personally am getting a GSIII. I'll probably use it stock (with Touchwiz) for 3-4 months, then get bored and flash a different ROM, like CM10 or something.

chris mart

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It depends on your requirements. If you need to taste new Android ROM/firmware select Nexus.
if you need best performance buy Galaxy S3 or HTC one X.

I think nexus has more support, but its not sure.

3ibs

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
It depends on your requirements. If you need to taste new Android ROM/firmware select Nexus.
if you need best performance buy Galaxy S3 or HTC one X.

I think nexus has more support, but its not sure.

So there aren't many ROM's for the GS3? And when can I install Jelly Bean myself (not wait for carrier).

3ibs

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes. It's just a little more involved than a Nexus would be that would get updates without having to flash ROMs and stuff (or wait months for the carrier to release the update). Not that flashing is overly hard or anything, but it's more technical than just having Google push an update to the phone.

You don't really even have to root to customize your phone and get rid of the skins (just install different launchers). It's when you would want to flash a new ROM or something that it starts getting more technical.

I personally am getting a GSIII. I'll probably use it stock (with Touchwiz) for 3-4 months, then get bored and flash a different ROM, like CM10 or something.

I'm not an expert but I know how to root and flash ROMs. I had AOKP on my GNex and loved it

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So there aren't many ROM's for the GS3? And when can I install Jelly Bean myself (not wait for carrier).

There will be. The phone is proving to be insanely popular so there will be tons of stuff out for it, but it is also relatively new at this time.

Not sure about Jellybean though. I would imagine Samsung is very busy at getting the update together, but who knows how long it will be before the carriers let us have it. But we'll be able to flash it long before then. CyanogenMod 10 will be Jellybean based, so at the very least, we'll have that before long.

3ibs

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
There will be. The phone is proving to be insanely popular so there will be tons of stuff out for it, but it is also relatively new at this time.

Not sure about Jellybean though. I would imagine Samsung is very busy at getting the update together, but who knows how long it will be before the carriers let us have it. But we'll be able to flash it long before then. CyanogenMod 10 will be Jellybean based, so at the very least, we'll have that before long.

Looks like I'll be getting the GS3. I'm gonna go check out how much I can get it for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21