Best Used Android Available - ICS/DualCore/GSM

Zeppelin89

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I've been looking into getting a used Android Phone, looking to spend as little as possible. Here is what I am looking for:

Price: $200
Location: Canada - Rogers Wireless (so needs to be GSM, and have compatible freq )
Specs: ICS compatible, MAYBE Jelly Bean compatible, Dual Core,

My candidates according to research:
LG Optimus 2x
LG Optmius 3D
Motorola Atrix 4G
Samsung Galaxy S2

I'm really leaning towards the Optimus 2X as it's the cheapest and I really like the build quality but I worry about the 512 mb of ram.

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated :)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
S II was my dream phone back when I got my X2. But, it never came to Verizon, hence the X2. If those other three phones were out at the same time, then, I "chose" the S II over them. That was a year ago so I don't remember what specific phones I looked at.

Zeppelin89

May 14, 2012
Visit site
S II was my dream phone back when I got my X2. But, it never came to Verizon, hence the X2. If those other three phones were out at the same time, then, I "chose" the S II over them. That was a year ago so I don't remember what specific phones I looked at.

From what I read and from trying out the S2 LTE, it seems a bit plasticky, whereas the LG phones have a more sturdier build to them (Im a bberry convert :D)

Do you still have the 2x? do you think once it has ICS (Which I hope I am right about it getting the update to it) it can handle most newest apps?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Never held an S II, but, all the research I did online made me want one. I understand the build quality issue though. It was between an X2 and a Charge for me, but, one of the reasons I went with the X2 was that the Charge was plasticy and felt like a kids toy. While the X2 is solid and felt like a grown up... well, toy. :p

Yes, sadly. About to cash in on my warranty a second time. Buttons keep breaking. And, it's been getting slower and slower. Once I cash in this time I'm going to have to put a custom ROM on it and hope it fixes it. X2 wont get ICS. I had hope long ago, but, no more.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The amount of RAM you need depends on how you use the phone. There will probably never be a phone with "enough" ram, but a fast SD card and a ROM that can use it as RAM can solve that problem. I'd go more by the other properties - CPU speed and number of cores, glass, external video connection if you need it, screen size, weight, that sort of thing - than by absolute RAM size.

It's really a personal matter - what's most important to you?

As far as "latest" apps - new apps will outpace any phone in months, but it seems that the vast majority of apps still run fine on Froyo or, at most, Gingerbread, and that will probably still be the case in a year or two. (By which time you'll want a more current phone.)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The amount of RAM you need depends on how you use the phone. There will probably never be a phone with "enough" ram, but a fast SD card and a ROM that can use it as RAM can solve that problem. I'd go more by the other properties - CPU speed and number of cores, glass, external video connection if you need it, screen size, weight, that sort of thing - than by absolute RAM size.

Yea, RAM is really only one factor in a a whole laundry list of factors. Many of these factors were more important for me than RAM.

As far as "latest" apps - new apps will outpace any phone in months, but it seems that the vast majority of apps still run fine on Froyo or, at most, Gingerbread, and that will probably still be the case in a year or two. (By which time you'll want a more current phone.)

At least for now. Modern PC hardware hasn't been outpaced by modern games. I rock any brand new game on my PC on max settings and my box will continue to perform that way for years to come. Eventually the hardware in phones will get to this point.

Zeppelin89

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I'm definitely leaning towards the LG Optimus 2x - its got the sturdy hefty feel that I'm used to. I just worry the 512 MB of ram will be an issue with ICS.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, you can always go with the S II then and get a GB of RAM. Like I said, before I got my X2, that was my dream phone, but, it never went to Verizon, so, ended up with an X2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49