How do I sync contacts from People to GMail contacts?

KyleG25

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been using my Evo since launch day and I got all my contacts transferred over from my old Centro at the sprint store. I've recently been going through to clean them up, link them to facebook etc., but what I really would like to do is have them show up in my GMail contacts so I can use my computer and full keyboard to edit them.

My Gmail account has been syncing just fine as far as mail and calender goes, but my contacts don't show up. What do I need to do to get this working?

KyleG25

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if I have to take the same steps as someone from WinMo would, if I have to download Google Sync, or if this is something that should just happen automatically like the calender and mail do.

broli

May 29, 2010
Visit site
contacts should sync automaticly

go to the contacs, click menu, accounts, and enable "backgroud data" and "autosync", go into the gmail account, and enable contacs

KyleG25

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Checked those settings and they were already enabled. I'm new to using Gmail and Google contacts, so there could be something else blatantly obvious that I'm missing. Either that or maybe my phone is just being glitchy. I'll take it into a Sprint store and see if I can get some hands on help.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
it seems to be an issue with how they were transferred to your phone. i could be wrong i really cant see any other reason. i forget how i got my contacts on my device but they load up in my account without a problem when i restore it after loading a new rom.

you might have to delete them and then manually enter them back in

kcchiefmatt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed on my EVO if I add any new contacts and set the contact type to Phone it will not sync that contact up to my google contacts. I have to create the new contact under Google contact type in order for it to sync. Make sure when adding new ones they are set to Google

KyleG25

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking that's probably what it is, the contacts were probably imported as phone contacts not Google Contacts.

My plan of attack is going to be to manually sync them to outlook, then delete all my contacts off my phone, then import the outlook contacts to Google contacts, and finally watch my contacts magically appear back in my phone.

That being said, I don't have much experience with outlook or Google contacts and I really don't want to lose all my contacts. In theory it seems like that should work, but I don't want to be banging my head against a wall and starting from scratch because I screwed up somewhere down the line. Any advice?

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i would say just export them to your comp using bluetooth so you dont have to enter stuff by hand. and if you are worried about losing them, you can always put your phone in airplane mode while you sync from outlook -> google. no data connection = no syncing =]