GSM vs CDMA

pro1st

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey there,

I am rather new to this forum. It's time for me to get a new phone... yea its about that time of the year again :) However up until now I only had WinMo devices (Last the ATT Fuze) and I must say I am quite fed up -lol big surprise right? Anyway, I love what Google did with the Android OS but here is my question.

Are there more "flagship" Android devices running on CDMA than on GSM networks? I personally feel the more powerful models are all released as CDMA models (just recently the line-up improved even more --> HTC Evo, Droid, Droid Incredible, HTC Hero etc.) What do GSM networks hold against that? The Motorola Cliq, myTouches and the Nexus One? Don't get me wrong, I believe the Nexus One def. holds strongly against the CDMA phones. But either the recent blogging about Droid X, EVO vs iPhone 4 blinded me, but if you agree with this CDMA dominance, why do you think that is? Is it maybe network politics? AT&T banked on its iPhone monopoly and t-mobile never had the most up-to-date phones (HD2 left aside right now, but after all its WinMo 6.5/somehow they have to maintain their lower prices). Therefore the only major networks ran on CDMA technology.

Me being a European living in the US, I'd love to see GSM versions of phones like the Droids or Evos (even without the 4Gs ;P). What is up for GSM users on the horizon? The only one I can think of right now is the Samsung Galaxy S which will come in a bunch of variations to different networks, but Samsung never convinced me entirely (no flash for a 5MP cam, seriously?) So I am eager to hear what you guys think, is there a discrepancy between GSM and CDMA android-powered devices?

Pro1st

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
You'd have to ask the GSM carriers why they don't have as many of the top end Android devices. I doubt there's a one-size-fits-all answer as your post indicates. TMO has had up-to-date devices. They may not have as many as other carriers though.

Me being a European living in the US, I'd love to see GSM versions of phones like the Droids or Evos (even without the 4Gs ;P).
For the Droid you can always look into getting a Milestone. I don't understand those the prefer GSM yet are unwilling to look into getting unlocked devices from sources other than the carrier. When I was on GSM, being able to use any compatible device was a selling point for me.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey