Can't update my galaxy nexus :(

shahrezsyed

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I'm a new android user. Bought a Samsung Galaxy nexus. I tried to install the OTA 4.0.4 update and this image came up. I had to remove the battery to exit. Since then, whenever I try to update, the same thing comes up and it doesn't update. Ultimately, I want to upgrade to Jelly bean please tell me what to do...

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
That looks like the stock recovery screen. My solution would involve unlocking the bootloader and flashing a custom recovery...but my guess is you don't want to do that. (If you do, more power to ya!)

Otherwise, so long as you haven't done anything to compromise your phone or warranty, I'd suggest calling the Nexus support line at 1-855-83-NEXUS.

There may very well be a simpler solution that I'm not considering...but I'm afraid I haven't taken an official OTA upgrade in years so I won't be of much help there:(

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I can go for.the custom recovery. Instructions???

Well that's sort of...a lot to explain. I'd suggest heading over to the XDA GNex dev forum. Here's the link.

I didn't know anything about this stuff until I decided to unlock/root my GNex back in December, so I know it's doable! I have to confess, I didn't use the AC forums, but I'm sure there's great resources there too.

Basically, what you'll need to do is:

1. Download/install the Android SDK to your PC
2. Download/install ADB/Fastboot drivers for your device.
3. Unlock your bootloader
4. Flash a custom recovery (I suggest Clockworkmod recovery)

Then, optionally:

5. Download a ROM of your choice, place the .zip file on your "SD" partition, flash it via CWM (Clockworkmod)
6. Download/flash Google apps, aka "gapps" (if your ROM requires it and you want them)
7. Download/flash a superuser or superSU .zip (if your custom ROM isn't already rooted)

If all this seems like a foreign language at the moment, I understand. But once you study up a bit, it will all make sense soon enough. Good luck and happy flashing!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
if you know the basic command prompt stuffs you can do it easily.

1. Install sdk from here http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and you need jdk from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1637583.html
use x86 or 64 depending on your PC. First install JDK

2. run installed SDK from step 1 and install USB drivers and platform tools from within SDK..
uncheck all others if not mentioned.(make sure you keep a note of the path you installed sdk)
step 1 and 2 above are explained here
Updated with Jelly! [GUIDE]Factory Images (JB-ICS-GB) [i9020T][i9023][i9020a][m200] - xda-developers
you have to follow part 1 and part 2 in the link to do step 1 and 2 above
In the link part 1- step 2,3 and 6 might not be applicable.. it differ depending on what you download for sdk. exe install or zip install. I recommend exe setup.

3. download factory image from this link https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
4.1.1 is jelly bean. and look for your device galaxy nexus.

4. Now follow this link Updated with Jelly! [GUIDE]Factory Images (JB-ICS-GB) [i9020T][i9023][i9020a][m200] - xda-developers
in this link "how to install" is what you finished above.

start from "On windows:"

step 1 is talking about downloaded factory image file in step 3(https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images)

copy the ecxtracted files (two times with 7zip) on android-sdk/platform-tools/ (this is important, if you dont unzip it, dont complain about "radio couldnt be loaded")

do till 4A and you are done. Reboot your phone and disconnect the USB.

report back how it went.

NOTE: the link i gave is for Nexus S but the steps are the same. do 4A carefully because the name will change.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674