Media servers keep disconnecting

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
With 3 different devices, an lg thrill, a nexus 7, and a Samsung infuse, over 2 different routers, a netgear and a Linksys with dd-wrt
And using 3 different apps, twonkyserver mobile, Imediashare, and playto. Using any combination of above, why why why do the servers keep disconnecting after 45 minutes or so?

Somebody must have an answer. I have searched here and the rest of the WWW and cant find a solution. I've tried the keep WiFi alive apps and they dont solve the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried using one of the devices for 45 minutes, just to keep the device active, and, then see if it still disconnects? If so, and, it's exactly 45 minutes, it's probably some sort of time out setting in one of the apps. Did you look for something like that?

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Well 45 minutes is an average I would say. Sometimes it will go for 30 minutes, sometimes an hour. This morning it did stop while I had the phone turned on in my hand. For me it is not possible to stream over dlna to my tv reliably with my android devices.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
When it stopped, did you have any other issues with your WiFi? Or was it working fine, you are just getting disconnected from your media servers?

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
nope no wifi problems. This is why I tried a different router, and come think of it I've changed my ISP from DSL to cable a few months back and I have had the problem on both. And it stops when connected to my phones hotspot and running twonkyserver mobile and connecting wit avia media server, so that's not even connected to my home network.

All I can think is the phone/tablet killing the app process? App crashes? Sometmes I've noticed when the Imediashare app stops working the apps interface is blank and I have to restart it, but it didn't really crash and stop running, if that makes sense.

I have used apple airplay from a PC to an appletv on my home network and it played the whole 2 hour movie, and also from samsungs all share software on the PC straight to the tv worked fine if I remember correctly.

So from the PC it works but not from my phone/tablet.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha. I just find it strange that three different devices, three different apps, and they are all experiencing the same issue. That makes me think that it's either some setting you set on each device, a setting you set in each app for each device, or, a some setting you are setting on the routers you tried. If one device wasn't working, but the others weren't I could see that, but all three seems strange.

Maybe you should get someone else to try on your Wi-Fi or try your devices on someone elses' Wi-Fi to see if you have any success.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes I agree. I will keep trying. This weekend I'll set up the ps3 and stream to that to rule out the TV. For now I'm just using HDMI out on the phone.

Thanks!
Paul

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good. Keep me posted after you test that out and we'll see what else we can come up with if need be. Good luck!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
just an update to this.

the ps3had the problem also.

i picked up an lg sp520 streaming media player from frys today and it has no problems playing my dlna without dropping out. so apparently the problem was with the TV & ps3 dlna or the fact they were wired. I'm running the lg wireless.

happy to have it working :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the problem comes back, I have seen a fair number of complaints about how this sort of thing happens with Netgear routers. In that case, try using the Linksys one only.

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
If the problem comes back, I have seen a fair number of complaints about how this sort of thing happens with Netgear routers. In that case, try using the Linksys one only.

thanks for that info. i have been using a Linksys router with dd-wrt installed on it and I've had the problem while using it.

the lg box has worked good today except for a major bug with hulu plus (show restarts after every commercial) that i have seen documented on the web about this player. so hopefully that will get worked out.

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Since my original post I have added a Sony googletv. I just played an hour video from imediashare on my nexus 7 to the airtight app on googletv with no problems. So that's my current setup and it works good. Didn't really get the hardware in the earlier posts working good enough. I did find for me that the bubbleupnp app worked the best for sending video from my nexus 7 over dlna/upnp, but that won't help with imediashare I am using a netgear router right now but the Linksys with dd-wrt also worked fine with the nexus7/googletv setup so I don't think the problem was with the routers in the pre-googletv setup.

Are you sending imedisshare directly to the TV or using another device?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

11pts

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ah OK.

Yeah I'm sending it directly to my Samsung TV. I've been using skifta lately because I don't have the same problem, but it's a bit annoying because I always have to manually connect it to the TV and it doesn't have a progress bar when watching movies so the only way to fast forward is pressing the forward button which only moves at like 30sec per hit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Ah OK.

Yeah I'm sending it directly to my Samsung TV. I've been using skifta lately because I don't have the same problem, but it's a bit annoying because I always have to manually connect it to the TV and it doesn't have a progress bar when watching movies so the only way to fast forward is pressing the forward button which only moves at like 30sec per hit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I've tried skifta but it was crashing my nexus last time I tried it. Definitely try bubbleUPNP as I have found it to be the best for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD