How-To Unlock Bootloader/Factory Restore/Root any NEXUS device

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried making this guide as generic as possible so that any future Nexus devices can be Unlocked/Factory Restored/Rooted/Locked. Detailed guide.

Nexus S,Galaxy Nexus,Nexus 7 ALL Variant
If you have any issues or find any issue in the guide let me know.

Here are the list of things you can do from this Nexus guide.

0. Setting up Your PC
1. Unlock Bootloader Note: Will wipe all data
2. Factory restore Android
3. Flash Custom Recovery
4. Root
5. Lock Bootloader Note: Will wipe all data

Warning:
I take no responsponsibilty blah blah blah
unlocking bootloader and factory restore will wipe all data SO TAKE BACKUP OF ALL DATA

0. Setting up your PC:
a) Prerequisite:

Install Java Platform, Standard Edition-
JDK Download here : Latest version 7 x86 or x64 based on your OS Java SE Downloads
Java runtime Download here:Download Free Java Software

Android SDK -
Download here Android SDK | Android Developers

Java is needed to install Android SDK.

attachment.php

Remember the destination folder: "C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk"
Run Android SDK Manager after install
Check Android SDK tools, Android SDK platform-tools and Google USB Driver as below image
Uncheck any other checked packages
click Install
Accept both license agreement. Install
attachment.php
b) Install USB Drivers in PC:

You need to properly install the USB drivers so that your PC can talk to your Nexus device.
b.1) Power off your Nexus device
b.2) Connect Your Nexus with Computer using USB cable.
b.3) Boot into fastboot mode by holding down both Volume Up and Power buttons together.
Nexus_S-bootloader.jpg

b.4) Open Device Manager and you might see some thing like this
attachment.php

Right Click and click "Update device Software"
Click "Browse your Computer for driver Software"
Click "Let me Pick from a list of device drivers on my Computer"
Click Next, for the device list shown.
Click "Have a Disk" button
Go to "C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver"
select "android_winusb" and click OK
Select "Android ADB Interface" and click Next. It will give you a warning. click OK and Install.

If you dont see the warning like before in device manager your PC is setup

Before we go to next step. Lets open CMD we will be using command prompt for the rest of the steps.
Open CMD and type
cd C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
Enter​

1. Unlock Bootloader: Warning: will wipe all data

a) To Unlock BootLoader Type this in cmd promt above with out quotes
"fastboot oem unlock"​
b) Hit the Volume Up button once(Will select "YES") and then the Power button(To CONFIRM) to unlock your Nexus Devices.

Feeling geek?? You are now a Geek!!! DONOT Close the Command Promt Just yet.

2. Factory Restore Android:
Download Nexus Factory image from Google https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Download the latest for your Nexus Device/Android OS. I recommend the latest factory Image for your device.

a) Once downloaded. Right click the file and extract the tgz file using winrar or winzip.

b) In the extracted file you will see many file Move all of the extracted files to platform-tools folder("C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools ") except these two files flash-all.sh and flash-base.sh

c) Now open flash-all.sh file in word document. Notepad seem to display it weird.

you will see some comments and at the end you will see something like below.
The below is for Galaxy Nexus GSM. It will be different for other devices. Check the file.
Remove Sleep 5 from those codes. we dont need it.

ONLY FOR Galaxy Nexus GSM. See the downloaded file for your device
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primelc03.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader

fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxlf1.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader

fastboot -w update image-yakju-jro03c.zip

Copy each line one by one in the order given in file and run in the Command prompt we opened previously.

DONE!! We just Factory restored the Nexus.​

3. Flash Custom Recovery: (If you dont need to Root Skip step 3 and 4)

a) Download clockwork recovery from here. Search for your device and download recovery ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries

b) Place the recovery file in SDK folder.

c) Run this to flash recovery
fastboot flash recovery [clockwork recovery filename].img

4. Root: You need to do step 3 to root
a) Download root from official superuser website here Superuser ARM devices (2.0 ? 4.1) or any future devices current version is 3.1.3.

b) Place the superuser zip file in your devices SD card by booting up ur device. Enable USB when it popsup.

c) Shut down Nexus and Boot into fastboot mode by holding down both Volume Up and Power buttons together.

d) select recovery by using Voulme Up/Down button in your device and click Power button to select recovery.

e) In ClockWorkMod recovery select
Install zip from sdcard-->choose zip from sdcard-->[navigate to the superuser zip file]-->Click Power button. and then select Yes and Power button when prompted.

DONE! You are rooted.​

5. Lock Bootloader
If you skipped step 3 and 4 and wanted to have a pure stock just like you bought from the store. do this.

run this command in command prompt.
fastboot oem lock​
DONE!​

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: How-To Unlock Bootloader/Factory Restore/Root any NEXUS devic

3. Flash Custom Recovery: (If you dont need to Root Skip step 3 and 4)
To Install TWRP recovery

a) Download TWRP recovery from here. Search for your device in the top right and download.
TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.2 | TeamWin

b) Place the recovery file in SDK folder.

c) Run this to flash recovery
fastboot flash recovery [clockwork recovery filename].img

birdbird

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver

I'm running Win XP so this doesn't actually exist for me ...

I do have C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf.
Is this correct?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver

I'm running Win XP so this doesn't actually exist for me ...

I do have C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf.
Is this correct?
thats correct. its the actual sdk install folder. so it depends on where it is installed.

so through out the guide make this path instead of the path i mentioned.

detartrated

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Wow! :D this is a great thread! Im definitely gonna bookmark this! Thanks!

Just a couple of quick questions though:
1. What if I want to root but I cant find my device/brand in the ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries site? Mine is this an Iview CyberPad iView-792TPC (shown here: amazon dot com//dp/B00A35WHT4?tag=thebeny-20 when I check its build info it just says: Bootloader: "unknown" | Brand/Manufacturer: alps | Device: yecon75_tb_ics | Display: ALPS.ICS.MP.V2.2 and its current OS is: ICS 4.04

2. Also, in relation to the above....how do I know which factory image I should download and install in the Nexus Factory image site?
Would any do? Im hoping I wont mess this up too much :-[ ..i most likely will...but just in case...

Thanks in advance! :-*

sauvignonblanc0

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

Thank you very much for your clear and to the point instructions. A rooting technique was recommended to me which completely messed up my device.

With your aide, I restored everything. Definitely one for the book marks. ;)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Wow! :D this is a great thread! Im definitely gonna bookmark this! Thanks!

Just a couple of quick questions though:
1. What if I want to root but I cant find my device/brand in the ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries site? Mine is this an Iview CyberPad iView-792TPC (shown here: amazon dot com//dp/B00A35WHT4?tag=thebeny-20 when I check its build info it just says: Bootloader: "unknown" | Brand/Manufacturer: alps | Device: yecon75_tb_ics | Display: ALPS.ICS.MP.V2.2 and its current OS is: ICS 4.04

2. Also, in relation to the above....how do I know which factory image I should download and install in the Nexus Factory image site?
Would any do? Im hoping I wont mess this up too much :-[ ..i most likely will...but just in case...

Thanks in advance! :-*
since your tablet is not a popular device clockworkmod or other teams wont make a recovery for your device.
its unfortunate and a sad truth. you might want to search google to find if any other recovery exist for your tablet. it always dont have to be clockworkmod. there is also twrp recoveries.

Thank you very much for your clear and to the point instructions. A rooting technique was recommended to me which completely messed up my device.

With your aide, I restored everything. Definitely one for the book marks. ;)

Thanks.

bayarbileg batbileg

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

i tried to do the last code "fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxlf1.img" and it said error cannot load fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxlf1.img what sould i do now ??

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

i tried to do the last code "fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxlf1.img" and it said error cannot load fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxlf1.img what sould i do now ??

that code is for Galaxy nexus GSM. what phone are you using? you have to download the appropriate factory image from here https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Edgraham75

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

OK you directed me here from another thread, but i am having an issue. When I try to go into the bootloader all I get is one option. It is the screen that says "DOWNLOADING... Do not turn off target!!"

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

OK you directed me here from another thread, but i am having an issue. When I try to go into the bootloader all I get is one option. It is the screen that says "DOWNLOADING... Do not turn off target!!"

I think you went to fail safe recovery mode. reboot device and try again. what step are you at?

Edgraham75

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I think you went to fail safe recovery mode. reboot device and try again. what step are you at?

0 B Trying to get PC to recognize Tablet... it works fine for my Nexus 4 but 10 wont recognize. When i try to boot regular i just hang at the google screen. Tried the Power and Vol Up like 3 times and just get downloding screen

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

0 B Trying to get PC to recognize Tablet... it works fine for my Nexus 4 but 10 wont recognize. When i try to boot regular i just hang at the google screen. Tried the Power and Vol Up like 3 times and just get downloding screen

install the drivers again while nexus 10 is connected in fastboot mode. which is step 0)b)

drivers previously installed was for Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 use a different drivers. do the driver installation and it will update for Nexus 10.

after unlocking the bootloader, if you are stuck at Nexus 10 logo. do a factory reset. thats a known issue with nexus 10

Edgraham75

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

install the drivers again while nexus 10 is connected in fastboot mode. which is step 0)b)

drivers previously installed was for Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 use a different drivers. do the driver installation and it will update for Nexus 10.

after unlocking the bootloader, if you are stuck at Nexus 10 logo. do a factory reset. thats a known issue with nexus 10

at this point I cant even get it into fastboot mode cant get 0)b)

IT SHOWS SAMSUNG DEVICE IN DEVICE MANAGER BUT THATS IT

Edgraham75

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

thank you so much.... appears to be working now.
loading from command prompt as we speak:)

tqless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Before this happened I had tried to unlock the device and found it to be already unlocked. So at that time I got the error:

FAILED ,remote: Already Unlocked.
finished. total time: 0.023s

I figured I was at least where the directions wanted me and continued to the next step. I then get this error message.

error: cannot load 'fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-crespo4g-d720sprke1.img': Unknown error

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Before this happened I had tried to unlock the device and found it to be already unlocked. So at that time I got the error:

FAILED ,remote: Already Unlocked.
finished. total time: 0.023s

I figured I was at least where the directions wanted me and continued to the next step. I then get this error message.

error: cannot load 'fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-crespo4g-d720sprke1.img': Unknown error

are you using the right factory image?
are you on fastboot sdk folder?
try updating fastboot files

tqless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

are you using the right factory image?
are you on fastboot sdk folder?
try updating fastboot files
My phone is a Nexus S 4G. I'm using "Factory Images "sojus" for Nexus S 4G (d720)" version "2.3.7 (GWK74)". My phone was rooted when it was new and has never updated to 4.0.4 because of it being rooted. I also am not the person who rooted it, and now I'm needing to figure this out for myself. I'm into cars, not phones! :(

I'm using Fastboot sdk. I can try updating it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith