Navigation Question

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Exactly when does Google Navigation use cellular data? Is it only when "loading" the route or does it use it throughout, while driving? I know "offline" mapping relies soley on GPS to get you around.
Hypothetically, if I were able to load directions using wifi before getting in the car, and would I use any data?
Just curious about how this works :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I believe it pulls all the info for the route when you first start navigating, for the route and a short distance off the route.

So I believe you wouldn't use data, assuming you don't make a wrong turn and end up far enough off of the route where it needs to reroute. Also, you would want to avoid pulling traffic info or anything like that.

But don't take my theory as gospel.

Reactions: tcm1969

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why it would use data. My Prime has GPS, but, no ability to access any carrier's networks. It can't use data. :p

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I did a little experiment. I drove from A to B using off line navigation with Google maps. I downloaded the St Paul / Minneapolis area and got around just as I would if I were "online". I purposely went off course and it rerouted me perfectly.
Then I did the same thing online but once I got my route I went into settings and turned all of my connections off. As I started to go it said "network connection lost" but kept guiding me. It even rerouted when I went off course. The only thing it didn't do was tell me street names. Instead of saying "turn right on Forest Street" it would just say "turn right".
I still don't understand why...

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums