play store doesn't always give you true results

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully this is where a play store question belongs.

I've run into this quite a bit recently. Take an app I found on some tech site recommending the app "super download" It is an app that lets you download over 4g and wifi at the same time.

If you go to the play store website and search "super download," you get no results. its as if the app dont exist.

But heres a link to the app on google play: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=it.opbyte.superdownload&hl=en&token=I-v4Pzj6

My device is compatible with it, its not that.

I've seen this happen with the adobe flash program and a few others.

any idea whats going on?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Not really sure. Maybe all the other apps that have the word super or download in them are more popular and it's ranked some silly way like that. If I throw super download in quotes and search, it shows up as the first result, but no quotes, and it wasn't anywhere near the beginning of the list and I gave up looking for it.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
yeah, searching for Super Download (without quotes) yields the same result on the Play store as on my device.

It's typical Google searching. If you want to find an exact phrase, use quotes. It's not like the search only searches the titles (it's searching the description, and I wouldn't be surprised it's searching reviews and the "what's new" comments as well).

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's just the nature of most search engines. Super download means "search for super or download". If you want Super Download you have to use quotes - "super download". That means "search for the exact phrase 'super download'". Google's search engine works the same way (so do most search engines).

chakdev

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
There are multiple reasons why searching for "Super Download" doesn't show the app that you're expecting. Chief of which is also like what Rukbat said, the search term is broken down into smaller pieces automatically by the search engine.

The reason for this is the search engine doesn't only search the App name, it also looks at the promotional text and description, and (probably) a bunch of other things like how popular is the app, how's the ratings. does it have a required featured graphics and stuff like that.

All this are meant to produced a search result that the consumer really wants. Imagine if I create a dummy app which really does nothing and call it Money. I will put nothing in the description with no graphics. And really nobody is downloading it. You probably don't want that app to show up first place in the search result when you type in "Money" :p