Lookout/Find My Droid type apps

scottfromga

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys, Looking for a little help on a situation that happened to me yesterday, my house was broken into and the scum stole my tv, some of my wife's jewelry and my Kindle Fire. My Fire is rooted and running the Jellybean Rom, so of course it's not stock at all. Question I have is this, since Android Market is running on it, can I download an app like "Lookout" or "Find My Droid" remotely, say through the Google Play website from my laptop, and install it, thus maybe finding it if the assheads who took my stuff decide to charge it and start playing with it? OR if the Pawn Shop they dump it at charges it and decides to play with it?

If anyone has any tips or advice to offer on maybe helping me find my Fire...and who knows what else, I'd certainly appreciate it.

(sorry that I basically double posted this, I put this in the Fire thread as well but I'm just hoping for results that can settle my mind...being broken into is something I've been afraid of my whole life and now its reality.)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I know you can push apps to devices if you go to market through a computer, but, I'm not sure if you have to do some setup on the app on the actual device in order to track it. If you have another android device, you could try testing this theory by acting like it's stolen, and, try and get this whole scheme to work.

Whatever the other device is, go into Play from a computer, then, push the app to the device and try and get tracking with it setup.

If they have any brains at all though they will have wiped it before pawning it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Most of these apps require that you enter the password you set on the app's site into the app running in the phone. Check the authors' sites for an app that sets itself up once pushed, or if you can't find one, contact some of the authors and ask if they can modify the app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon