How to update a new Android OS

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Someone should really put down some instructions on how to update to a new OS since Google can seem to get it right (unless someone already has) . I've had two phones on two different carriers turn to crap after updating. When I updated to Gingerbread on my droid incredible, my bluetooth went to hell. When I updated my Epic 4G touch on sprint, my bluetooth, battery and bother things went to hell. All I did on both was click update. Maybe next time I should do a factory reset first? The crazy thing is that I even rolled back to gingerbread on my Epic 4G touch but my bluetooth never really recovered. Should I also remove all my pairings first? I'm not a complete noob but when jelly bean rolls around for my Gs3 I'm going to be a little hesitant.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
When I updated my X2 the last time, my battery life got worse. But, I think that's just Moto's fault.

Try clearing cache, data, etc. on your Bluetooth and anything else that is having problems.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
the problem with GB-->ICS update is that it has ton of changes and there is a possibility that it might break a few things.. thats why i start off fresh even with my JB update on my Nexus..
I got ICS 4 months ago i still started frsh with JB update..

due to the no of devices out there it hard to have a single instruction for all device...
but if you look at the right place you will get what to do... start fresh and you will have the least problems.

Reactions: Murphy5111

lethalgorman

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by "fresh" exactly? A factory reset or a wipe or what, I'm just trying to learn, thanks. Also, do you know what A "Darkside" wipe is?

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Starting fresh is a factory reset. Start from scratch and go from there. Be sure to backup anything important (text messages, email, photos, sd card, etc.) before reseting.

Sprint has issued a follow-up update to the original ICS update. The current build is FH13 -- go into menu > settings > about phone and you'll see which build number you are on. If it says "FF18" then you are still on the original ICS update. Try forcing the phone to update or take it into a Sprint store to update for you. Otherwise you can take matters into your own hands and root / install a ROM (assuming you are not rooted). Good luck, hope you have better results.