Options for syncing to PC

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've just started evaluating MPE V1.8.4 with my Windows 7 PC running Outlook 2010. The problem that has surfaced so far is that calendar reminder values are not coming across. For example, an event might have a 3 day reminder in Outlook, but it says Other in MPE following the sync. Has anyone observed this issue and if so, is there a fix?
Pete

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Nexus arrived yesterday. I started out by evaluating MPE primarily since the reviews are good and it's FREE. I noticed that the Outlook calendar reminders show up on phone as 'Other' rather than a specific time such as 1 hour or 1 week. I don't know the significance of 'Other'. I'm assuming it means that the reminder value was not transferred to phone. This kills the app for me, if true. Also I had trouble loading the USB driver so my testing was done on WiFi only.

I then uninstalled MPE and installed Android-Sync. I purchased it knowing that there was a no questions asked, 60 day money back guarantee. Boy, is this software slick; it's simple, intuitive and does just what is claimed. There were no problems with USB driver; it found it and installed without my involvement. Calendar reminders are correctly transferred. I've been running it on both of our laptops so now everything is in sync. This is probably one of the most elegant pieces of software I've seen. It doesn't do everything that MPE claims to do, but it does do what I need.
Pete

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I've just started evaluating MPE V1.8.4 with my Windows 7 PC running Outlook 2010. The problem that has surfaced so far is that calendar reminder values are not coming across. For example, an event might have a 3 day reminder in Outlook, but it says Other in MPE following the sync. Has anyone observed this issue and if so, is there a fix?
Pete

Not sure if I understand this. I created a test reminder in Outlook and synced. It showed up on my phone as expected and notified me. I didn't look at MPE after the sync, but I'm not clear on why it would matter if it's listed as Other or not. I'll have to check it out again.

I use WiFi only, so I don't have to fool with USB drivers (I had a hell of a time with HTC Sync because of this) which is why I switched to MPE.

Anyway glad you got it sorted. It's all about what works for you. BTW, what's the cost of Android-Sync?

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if I understand this. I created a test reminder in Outlook and synced. It showed up on my phone as expected and notified me. I didn't look at MPE after the sync, but I'm not clear on why it would matter if it's listed as Other or not. I'll have to check it out again.

I use WiFi only, so I don't have to fool with USB drivers (I had a hell of a time with HTC Sync because of this) which is why I switched to MPE.

Anyway glad you got it sorted. It's all about what works for you. BTW, what's the cost of Android-Sync?
When I have time I'll go back to MPE and investigate the significance of 'Other'. In the meantime, I did post the question on the MPE forum. The cost of Android-Sync is $29.95 which includes a license for two PCs and multiple devices.
Pete

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering the purchase of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus after my iPhone 4 took a swim in the ocean. With the iPhone, I kept contacts and calendar in MS Outlook and used iTunes to sync them to phone. What are my options for syncing the Galaxy Nexus to my PC? Must I use gmail? I prefer to keep contacts and calendar on PC so that I can access them at all times even when I don't have an internet connection. Thanks
Pete

Those of us using Outlook are a dying breed....

I use an app called gSyncit that syncs my Outlook store with Google hosted applications on my domain. Took a few days to get the kinks worked out. If you don't have hosted apps perhaps just sync/combine with your Gmail account?

Nice thing about gSyncit... it syncs Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Tasks. Notes and Tasks, it syncs with several services. Worth the bucks imho.

I hate hate hate the other "solutions" that require you to use their own calendar app. $LAME

// AndroidCentral app on Nexus 7 //

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
@flroots and ChromeJob:

Thank you both for the app names. I have no current need for Outlook sync, as I use Thunderbird, but I've saved both links for future reference. With as many clients as I have, who knows when I may need to sync to Outlook? (Or should I have said "with my terrible luck, who knows ..."?)

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I dug a little deeper and the Other is not an issue since it correctly calculates the time that the reminder will be issued.

With respect to Android-Sync, I added a contact and it refuses to transfer to phone? The developer has described the Contact app on the phone, but it doesn't resemble the native Contact app on my Galaxy Nexus.

I did reinstall MPE and it seems to do better with regards to updating the phone's Contact app when changes are made to contacts in Outlook. However, when a minor edit is made to a contact in Outlook, it doesn't recognize the change and update the phone? I'm not sure how it determines that a contact has been changed? This all seems so elementary I'm wondering if it's OE (operator error!)
Pete

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been alternating between Android-Sync and MPE. At the moment, I'm leaning towards Android-Sync. Android-Sync seems to be the simple, well documented app with great support while MPE seems to have lots more bells & whistles with little to no documentation and limited support. I've spent a lot of time dealing with the issue of my sub-folders within Outlook Contacts. It seems that Android doesn't support them in the native Contacts so I'll probably have to combine all contacts into a single folder within Outlook. This seems like such an elementary and useful capability, that I wonder why it's not available in Android V4.1
Pete

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I dug a little deeper and the Other is not an issue since it correctly calculates the time that the reminder will be issued.

With respect to Android-Sync, I added a contact and it refuses to transfer to phone? The developer has described the Contact app on the phone, but it doesn't resemble the native Contact app on my Galaxy Nexus.

I did reinstall MPE and it seems to do better with regards to updating the phone's Contact app when changes are made to contacts in Outlook. However, when a minor edit is made to a contact in Outlook, it doesn't recognize the change and update the phone? I'm not sure how it determines that a contact has been changed? This all seems so elementary I'm wondering if it's OE (operator error!)
Pete

What kind of changes aren't getting recognized? If anything, I find that MPE can be too exacting. For example, the format of phone numbers: (xxx) xxx-xxxx will be seen as different than xxx-xxx-xxxx. I don't use folders in Outlook so I can't comment on that.

BTW, I don't let MPE sync automatically. I manually choose each change.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
What kind of changes aren't getting recognized? If anything, I find that MPE can be too exacting. For example, the format of phone numbers: (xxx) xxx-xxxx will be seen as different than xxx-xxx-xxxx. I don't use folders in Outlook so I can't comment on that.

BTW, I don't let MPE sync automatically. I manually choose each change.
Thanks. Actually, it seems to be any changes. As you know, MPE has its own PC-resident Calendar (Organizer) and the changes are made to it. Also, the confirmation screens suggest that it plans to make the changes to phone. I think what's happening for some unknown reasons is that the changes are not going through even though MPE invokes the changes. Perhaps it's a phone configuration issue. I do have USB debugging enabled. Of course, sometimes it works since I do get the contacts, calendar, notes, and tasks shown on phone.
Pete

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I connect only via WiFi and haven't noticed any changes that aren't applied to my phone (HTC. Vivid). I wonder if that's the difference.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I found that MPE merged two unrelated contacts so I immediately disqualified it and switched back to Android-Sync. So far, Android-Sync has worked flawlessly. It doesn't have all the bells & whistles, but it does what I require.
Pete

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if I understand this. I created a test reminder in Outlook and synced. It showed up on my phone as expected and notified me. I didn't look at MPE after the sync, but I'm not clear on why it would matter if it's listed as Other or not.
He says that he set a reminder for 3 days before the event. Does it show in the phone as 3 days? If it does, there's no real issue, it's just a problem with the label. If it doesn't, there's a problem if he wants to be reminded 3 days before.

I don't use Outlook unless I'm forced to, so I can't check that out. MPE works with Thunderbird, as long as you aren't trying to merge duplicate contacts in TB, the phone and Google Contacts. That gives you a real mess that you have to clean by hand.

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
He says that he set a reminder for 3 days before the event. Does it show in the phone as 3 days? If it does, there's no real issue, it's just a problem with the label. If it doesn't, there's a problem if he wants to be reminded 3 days before.

I got what he was trying to do. I just didn't get why what it was labeled in MPE mattered. My scheduled reminder worked, albeit it was for 10 min on, rather than 3 days.

Nikki-TheRescueDog

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I tried using Deja Office to sync Outlook 2010 (Vista) on my laptop with my Droid X. Finally had to delete it because it caused duplicate contacts and the sync would freeze occasionally. It was an expensive app to buy (don't remember but $39 strikes a bell) :'(

Now I'm still looking to sync Outlook 2010 (Vista) on my laptop with my Galaxy Nexus (jelly bean). Any suggestions?

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I tried using Deja Office to sync Outlook 2010 (Vista) on my laptop with my Droid X. Finally had to delete it because it caused duplicate contacts and the sync would freeze occasionally. It was an expensive app to buy (don't remember but $39 strikes a bell) :'(

Now I'm still looking to sync Outlook 2010 (Vista) on my laptop with my Galaxy Nexus (jelly bean). Any suggestions?
As mentioned above, I highly recommend Android-Sync:

I sync my Windows 7 PC running Outlook 2010 to my Galaxy Nexus (gsm).
Pete

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I finally gave up on Deja Office too. I've been using google calendar sync to handle the calendar portion and go contact sync for the contacts. Both are free and do a good enough job. I haven't had any issues with the calendar sync at all. The contact sync doesn't work well on an auto schedule. You have to click on sync, and then allow access to your outlook info on your desktop in the box that pops up there. I haven't had any duplicate contacts using go contact sycn. I have discovered that if you use go contacts as your contact manager, and you add a contact in that app, your phone will no longer sync with your google contacts. It causes some sort of error. Add a contact in the stock messaging app, or in outlook, and sync works flawlessly.

joyandme

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I, too, am looking for usb or wifi sync from Android HTC Vivid to pc. I purchased Android sync and it worked once and haven't been able to sync calendar since. Last time it wiped out all my data on pc calendar. I tried to email support numerous times and get no response. Then I accidentzlly deleted the whole calendar on my cell phone and lost everything in my calendar. Not good. Can't figure out a way of backing up everything rather than syncing WITHOUT using Google or the cloud.

I am using the Fliq calendar now but that only syncs with moffice which didn't sync right for me either. I can't find the stock default calendar in my phone to see if that would sync, but even so, I like the Fliq calendar because it has more options.

I have spent so much time on this that it's ridiculous! I want to get this resolved and do something else.

FxEpic

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I too am seeking to sync with Outlook 2007 (Win 7 64bit). I need Contacts and Calendar at the very least. I absolutely don't understand why Google has made this soooo difficult! I previously had an iPhone 4 and I absolutely love the Note 2. I think it blows the iPhone 5 away (my daughter has one). However, Apple syncs with Outlook better than Microsoft lol. This omission by Google HAS to be some kind of corporate political thing. It cannot be a for lack of knowledge or ability. Come on Google, give us a break! We did, after all, BUY an Android phone. I have close to 1000 contacts in Outlook. Now let us move our Sacred info to your platform EASILY! Please?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How necessary is Outlook to you? Personally, I consider it way too bloated and convoluted to use. If it isn't crucial for you, consider exporting all of your contacts as a .csv file, then importing that file into Google Contacts. All of your contacts will then sync with your phone, and you can continue maintaining your contacts on Google rather than Outlook.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae