T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 ($300) vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus ($350)

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm looking into upgrading my phone. Currently on T-Mobile's $30/month 100min/5gb 4G data plan, recently learned about the [price drop on the Galaxy S2, now available for $330 at Walmart.](T-Mobile Pre-Paid Samsung Galaxy S II w/ $30 Airtime Card: Cell Phones : Walmart.com). The price includes a $30 topup card I plan to use anyway.

Seeing how the Galaxy Nexus (HSPA+) is available at $349, I'm wondering what you guys would recommend between the two. Some points to consider:

-The S2 has HSPA+ 42mbps. Obviously not too many people are going to hit max speeds, but from what I've seen in reviews, it's a world of a difference over HSPA+ 21mbpsin areas where it's available. It's available in my area.

-I hear the battery life on the HSPA+ Nexus is better than the Verizon version's. Would someone be able to tell me how it compares to T-Mobile's S2 which we know uses a different processor?

-Are the Nexus' pixels really worth it?

-I'm kind of a fan of the SAMOLED+ display's colors, might be a strong factor favoring the S2.

-I'm told the S2 has a better camera. Picture quality seems decent.

-I'm not too worried about getting the latest updates. I plan to root/flash.

-Are there any "issues" I should be worried about? My LG G2x is infamous for random shutdowns and restarts.

For now, I'm slightly favoring the S2. But I was hoping I could get some input on why the Nexus might be preferred.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 ($300) vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus ($3

It looks like you are going to be purchasing off contract? I'd go Nexus and stay current with Google OS upgrades...at least for another upgrade or two. Other than that, it's really up to you and what you prefer between the two.

If you are purchasing with a new contract then search for deals. You'll be able to get the S2 cheaper (probably even the Nexus) by going Best Buy or elsewhere.

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

It looks like you are going to be purchasing off contract? I'd go Nexus and stay current with Google OS upgrades...at least for another upgrade or two. Other than that, it's really up to you and what you prefer between the two.

If you are purchasing with a new contract then search for deals. You'll be able to get the S2 cheaper (probably even the Nexus) by going Best Buy or elsewhere.

Nope, off contract.

Are there any reasons to go Nexus beyond the reasons I've mentioned thus far?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd go with the Galaxy Nexus at $350. If the S II was $250, it might be a different story.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

For what reason?

have you not heard of the Quote "when you go black you dont go back" ??

Reason jelly bean and faster updates. and no manufacturer skins.

when i looked to purchase an android phone i looked at many phones but finally bought a nexus but now i can never go back buying a non nexus phone.

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

have you not heard of the Quote "when you go black you dont go back" ??

Reason jelly bean and faster updates. and no manufacturer skins.

when i looked to purchase an android phone i looked at many phones but finally bought a nexus but now i can never go back buying a non nexus phone.

That sounds nice and all, but I plan to flash roms, which erodes the advantage of timely updates. I may have to wait for a submission on XDA, but I'm a patient guy.

I guess my REAL question concerns the hardware. Which one might be preferable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton