1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 ($300) vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus ($350)

Hey guys,

I'm looking into upgrading my phone. Currently on T-Mobile's $30/month 100min/5gb 4G data plan, recently learned about the [price drop on the Galaxy S2, now available for $330 at Walmart.](). The price includes a $30 topup card I plan to use anyway.

Seeing how the Galaxy Nexus (HSPA+) is available at $349, I'm wondering what you guys would recommend between the two. Some points to consider:

-The S2 has HSPA+ 42mbps. Obviously not too many people are going to hit max speeds, but from what I've seen in reviews, it's a world of a difference over HSPA+ 21mbpsin areas where it's available. It's available in my area.

-I hear the battery life on the HSPA+ Nexus is better than the Verizon version's. Would someone be able to tell me how it compares to T-Mobile's S2 which we know uses a different processor?

-Are the Nexus' pixels really worth it?

-I'm kind of a fan of the SAMOLED+ display's colors, might be a strong factor favoring the S2.

-I'm told the S2 has a better camera. Picture quality seems decent.

-I'm not too worried about getting the latest updates. I plan to root/flash.

-Are there any "issues" I should be worried about? My LG G2x is infamous for random shutdowns and restarts.

For now, I'm slightly favoring the S2. But I was hoping I could get some input on why the Nexus might be preferred.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 ($300) vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus ($3

It looks like you are going to be purchasing off contract? I'd go Nexus and stay current with Google OS upgrades...at least for another upgrade or two. Other than that, it's really up to you and what you prefer between the two.

If you are purchasing with a new contract then search for deals. You'll be able to get the S2 cheaper (probably even the Nexus) by going Best Buy or elsewhere.

nexus!!! when you go Nexus you don't go back!!! lol
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    It looks like you are going to be purchasing off contract? I'd go Nexus and stay current with Google OS upgrades...at least for another upgrade or two. Other than that, it's really up to you and what you prefer between the two.

If you are purchasing with a new contract then search for deals. You'll be able to get the S2 cheaper (probably even the Nexus) by going Best Buy or elsewhere.

Nope, off contract.

Are there any reasons to go Nexus beyond the reasons I've mentioned thus far?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    nexus!!! when you go Nexus you don't go back!!! lol

For what reason?
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

I'd go with the Galaxy Nexus at $350. If the S II was $250, it might be a different story.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
    For what reason?
    have you not heard of the Quote "when you go black you dont go back" ??

Reason jelly bean and faster updates. and no manufacturer skins.

when i looked to purchase an android phone i looked at many phones but finally bought a nexus but now i can never go back buying a non nexus phone.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    have you not heard of the Quote "when you go black you dont go back" ??

Reason jelly bean and faster updates. and no manufacturer skins.

when i looked to purchase an android phone i looked at many phones but finally bought a nexus but now i can never go back buying a non nexus phone.

That sounds nice and all, but I plan to flash roms, which erodes the advantage of timely updates. I may have to wait for a submission on XDA, but I'm a patient guy.

I guess my REAL question concerns the hardware. Which one might be preferable.