Please help me to decide what phone to buy!

inicophone

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I am looking to switch over from my BlackBerry to Android. I am in need of some advice on what is the most sensible thing to do - I'm not very familiar with what is currently the best in Android!

I have at the moment my Vodafone contract, I have 11 months left on this (I can use the SIM in a Android phone. I get data included, and of course my minutes and text allowances) I have the following ideas of what to do:

1. Buy either a Samsung Galaxy S3 (most expensive at ?450), LG Optimus 4X (?390), or Samsung Galaxy Nexus (?300) to use outright with my SIM and wait for my contract to expire before upgrading. I think if I were to do this, maybe the Nexus would work out cheapest and best value? I could always get a Galaxy S3 in 11 months time and sell the Nexus. My contract is paid by my employer as long as it is ?26 a month.

2. Take out another contract and use both (That would be ?26 a month, for 24 months... I'm not sure this makes much sense as then I'm paying for a phone which I wouldn't really need but it's maybe the cheapest way of owning a Galaxy S3 but then I have to pay for 24 months)

3. Any suggestions? I'm on a tight budget and I just don't see my Bold 9000 lasting another 11 months. It is too slow now and I think it is has served me well but time for another.

Thank you!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend getting a nexus but if you like S3 i also recommend that too!!! my first choice would be Nexus!
getting a 2 year contract in UK is cheaper than in the US.
with $26 per month i believe you get S3 for free right? or is like 99??

The best method to analysis this is to get what plan makes it cheaper at the end of 2 years from now.

imagine you bought S3/Nexus upright

so s3/Nexus full phone cost + 24 months cost for plan

or if you bought a phone by contract

S3/nexus cost on contract + 11 months current plan +24 months new contract..

add it up and see what suites for you.

NOTE: I will be doing your suggestion 1 when the new nexus comes out!! i will still have 8 months left on my contract.

inicophone

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

I love the S3 but it is the most expensive phone to buy outright, and to get a contract for 24 months when I have mine all paid for is really not worth it. I can always get that in August 2013 as an upgrade! Maybe the S4 will be out then.

I think I might buy the Galaxy Nexus for ?300. It would do me well I think for 11 months. The one thing I am not sure about is the 16GB storage. Is that enough for apps? I don't keep photos or music on my smartphone.

And yes, in the UK, often the phone is free or for a very small cost. I think it is very different in other parts of the world.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

I love the S3 but it is the most expensive phone to buy outright, and to get a contract for 24 months when I have mine all paid for is really not worth it. I can always get that in August 2013 as an upgrade! Maybe the S4 will be out then.

I think I might buy the Galaxy Nexus for ?300. It would do me well I think for 11 months. The one thing I am not sure about is the 16GB storage. Is that enough for apps? I don't keep photos or music on my smartphone.

And yes, in the UK, often the phone is free or for a very small cost. I think it is very different in other parts of the world.
I never liked LG. Its my feeling that they dont make good quality phones.

and about 16 Gb storage. I still have 10 GB left on my phone with about 92 apps installed.

Its more than enough at least for me. I pin my music from google music what ever i need. all pics synced to my phone from google+

inicophone

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I did have an LG Optimus 3D. It was nice, but a big software problem put me off them. I think I might go for the Nexus as it is cheaper and for 11 months worth of usage, it can't be a bad choice! And I can use the money I save for something else. :)

Oh 92 apps installed and 10GB left! That's good!