Toshiba Excite 7.7 $300 vs Nexus 7 250$

CPmillenia94

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I am selling my ipad because I prefer android and love my galaxy nexus. I like my ipad, but My phone has nearly replaced my Ipad simply because of the convenience of a smaller device. I have narrowed down my search to two options, the AT275-T16 sold on BrandsMart USA for a incredible $300 price (not sure if this is too good to be true)- Toshiba AT275-T16 7.7" Excite 16GB Tablet . Or a nexus 7. Im really torn, and I would love some input!

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
First thosiba is ICS and there is no sign of Jelly bean yet!!! do you really want to be frustrated later when next version of Android get released with new features and u r still on ICS?? that do happen with lot of people. Nexus 7 is Jelly bean and will get next version before any tablet.

the Nexus 7 price is less than thosiba. Also with Nexus you get $25 credit and some free movies and magazine.

totally worth it!

CPmillenia94

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Well I kind of have the whole Jellybean experience on my GNexus already, and I feel like I need a slightly larger form factor, because otherwise a nexus 7 is just a larger version of my phone with a smaller and worse display. Im leaning more towards the excite at this point also because of the haptic feedback and the micro sd, let alone that beautiful amoled.

epakai

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I had this same dilemma. All the reviews I read pretty much told me the Excite 7.7 was on another level in the hardware/screen/build quality. The biggest downsides to me are that I don't count on it getting Jelly Bean, and it has a stupid large dock connector for charging.
On the up side it has potential for a dock with hdmi out, but toshiba just took it down from their store and the only current source I found is ebay at $130 usd. Video out for the nexus 7 is never an option.
As far as battery life the N7 actually holds up to it's claims of 10 hours while the Excite I've seen users getting only 6 or so, but some claiming the full 10.
Root and rom is not likely to ever be an option for the Excite either.

Anyway I ended up purchasing the Excite. I'm expecting JB on my Nexus S 4G sometime soon as well so I don't think I'll miss out on too much.

- - - Updated - - -

I had this same dilemma. All the reviews I read pretty much told me the Excite 7.7 was on another level in the hardware/screen/build quality. The biggest downsides to me are that I don't count on it getting Jelly Bean, and it has a stupid large dock connector for charging.
On the up side it has potential for a dock with hdmi out, but toshiba just took it down from their store and the only current source I found is ebay at $130 usd. Video out for the nexus 7 is never an option.
As far as battery life the N7 actually holds up to it's claims of 10 hours while the Excite I've seen users getting only 6 or so, but some claiming the full 10.
Root and rom is not likely to ever be an option for the Excite either.

Anyway I ended up purchasing the Excite. I'm expecting JB on my Nexus S 4G sometime soon as well so I don't think I'll miss out on too much.

CPmillenia94

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Have you gotten it yet? And toshiba anounced they would be updating their excite tablets to JB before the end of the year Im pretty sure (i hope), but honestly there isnt much of a difference.

Another dilemma I am having is how easy typing is on the Excite. It seems to have quite a bezel but so does the Ipad and i am very good at the split keyboard on that. On that note, how are people experiences with productivity on 7.7 inch tablets? I never use my Ipad because it is simply too intrusive to use for any sort of note taking, and too large to read on for long periods of time. Is the text clear and size convenient for reading?

CJREX

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Thread comes back from the dead...

I recently purchased an Excite 7.7 and I can say the display and build quality is on a completely different level than my N7. MicroSD is a big plus too.

The AMOLED display has to be seen to do it justice.

Here is a crappy cellphone pic of it beside my N7 with the same background. You can sort of see the difference in color and clarity.

In person it blows the N7 away and rivals the retina display on my iPad 3 (iPad 3 has better resolution, excite has equal or slightly better color).

NexuvsExcite.jpg

I am also surprised at just how much difference that extra .7 of screen makes.

The Autobrite issue you mentioned is something that varies depending on page content. I have had my excite for about a week and have not noticed it at all.

Is the Excite 7.7 a better tablet than a Nexus 7?

Absolutely.

Is it worth more than double the price?

Not a chance.

I have been watching prices on these for a while now and got mine on clearance for $200. At that price it is an absolute steal.

Even though it is still on ICS (JB rumored January/February), it is a very snappy performer and actually benchmarks slightly better than my N7.

The lack of Root or custom ROMs is a non-issue for my use, as I mainly used to do that to overclock for better performance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon