whata so confusing about android?

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My first smart phone was the dinc. And it took me 25minutes to get the hang of it. So I don't understand why people say its confusing. All the simple things are in front of you. The phone,phone,book ,text and ,internet is there. I'm just so amazed that when I let my friends see my gnex they look shocked. Like a deer in hi beam lights. Also I was with a friend and her iPhone kept vib and I turned the volume all the way down trying to put it on silent. She said... you have to go in the settings to turn it off. now to me that's complicated.

So if you find android confusing please let me know what you find confusing.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think android is confusing, but you have to see that it's more involved that iOS, which is basically just an app drawer with a single button to get you back to the app drawer from where ever you are. I think anybody who's relatively tech savy can easily figure out Android, but if I'd was recommeding a smartphone to my mom or grandmother, I'd recommend iOS.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Most people who say Android Confusing are Apple fans and Microsoft fans.
Or like my future mother-in-law and can't comprehend anything more advanced than a rotary dial phone. She isn't elderly, but she just can't get the hang of a basic Android, even after we set it up easy for her.

Now that I think about it, they do make rotary dial apps. Hmmm....

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
a few days ago i was in a bank, and there was this guy whose phone began to ring. it was an android phone. he spent so much time trying to figure out how to answer, and in the end i told him what to do, but the other party had already hung up. So apparently it is confusing for some people. I think this guy would have had problems even with iOS, because he simply didn't have the idea of touch operation.

oldracer

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
hi everybody
new to the android world, sort of

my daughter gave me a used superpad3 and i really liked the way it works,
so my wife gave me a flytouch8 superpad8 for fathers day.

now on the new machine i have a problem with mounting a usb keyboard and a usb stick

enable media scanning on sd + usb is ticked

in this new one only 1 will work at a time,
even though there are 2 usb ports, as well as a micro sd

how do i mount usb keyboard and usb data stick at the same time?
in the old flytouch3 there are no problems with this
they happily work together.
i prefer to keep my data on the usb stick sdo that i can access it when at home on the desktop pc with ease

my device is a 10.2" multi function tablet

tablet pc

allwinner A10 1.5ghz A10 mali 400 cpu

model number: BC1003
android version: 4.0.4
baseband version: 1.5rc4
kernel version: 3.0.8

jackie@ubuntu#2
mon aug 6 cst 2012

built number
crane_bc1003-eng 4.0.4 IMM76D

thank you for your time
ron

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Most people who say Android Confusing are Apple fans and Microsoft fans.
And a handful of webOS fans, myself included. My gf has had an Incredible since last year, and I never really got the hang of it, mind you, it was her phone, so I didn't really dig around too deep with anyway. Going on Day 4 now with my SGS3, and it's not that bad as I used to think. It's just like anything new, you're not going to "get it", until you actually start "doing it". I'm already starting to get pretty quick in finding my way around, and even task switching is becoming easier. Just have to reprogram my brain as to where the screen power button is (right side instead of top right), and remember there's no "up-gesture" to minimize apps :D

AlexanderE

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I am a very seasoned software developer and UI/UX architect, and an iPhone/iPad user (yes, that goes along very nicely). And I can tell you that even I find Android terribly confusing. An example:

I wanted to join a Wifi network that has no DHCP server. Manually configuring the IP addresses proved next to impossible and took about 10 minutes using 4.0.4. First, I had no idea that I had to long-touch the network name to access advanced settings (in a previous Android version, it was the (invisible) menu button beneith the display). Then, I had no idea how to actually enter the IP address into the text field. It looked greyed out, but I still tried. It said "192.168.1.128" or so, and I tried to position the cursor at the end in order to replace the last two octets. However, all I could do was position it at the beginning as the "cursor arrow" was unmovable and 'stuck' right there.

It only came to me because of years of experience with computers that the text field was maybe not disabled nor was there a bug in the cursor positioning code, BUT that the 192.168.1.128 might be a PLACEHOLDER value.

So, I just started typing away, and tadaaaa - the placeholder disappeared and the field was not "greyed out" anymore. What added to the confusion was that the placeholder did NOT disappear as soon as the text field had focus.

THAT'S an example of CONFUSING. OK?

Andrew Herbst

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I turned 56 today. Why I am telling you this? Because perhaps we older users are at a profound disadvantage when it comes to understanding this technology. When I began to work at age 21, there were no computers of any kind in the office in which I worked and I believe I was about 30 when I acquired my first personal computer. So, yes, I spent the first three decades of my life dealing with rotary phones and being otherwise illiterate about the technology many of you younger people were born into. There may well be many people my age and older who have no difficulty mastering cell phone technology. Good for them. However, I am no ***** and I expect I am not alone among those 50+ who experience significant frustration with complex cell phone technology.

Far and away my biggest complaint is documentation, including interface design. Let me illustrate with an example that has nothing to do with Android per se, but makes the relevant point.

When I turn on my Mac, I am sometimes presented with a dialog box that asserts:

Updates Ready to Install: Do you want to install these updates now or try tonight?

....and here are my choices:

Restart
Later

Do I need to explain the problem? I suspect that "Restart" really means "Restart in order to install the update right now".

But simply offering "Restart" is ambiguous - why should one infer that this will result in update installation? Why not offer "Install Now" followed by a statement that this will involve a restart and offer the choice to proceed or not?

Another example that indeed is relevant to Android. Whether you realize it or not, for those of my vintage, the word "synchronize" never meant what it means now. The term used to simply denote the activity whereby multiple time-keeping devices were set to a common time (as in "lets synchronize our watches"). The term now has an entirely different meaning, at least when used in relation to cell phones and computers. So I need to "unlearn" a number of things that many of you do not have to.

In summary: I suggest that people under, say, 30 years of age have a number of advantages with respect to dealing with modern technology:

1. Their brains are more "plastic" and can learn new things with less effort;

2. They do not have to "unlearn" a lot of things (like what "sync" means);

3. They have developed the ability to ignore the instructions and figure things out by tinkering. I politely suggest that we older users grew up in a world where people read more and were therefore better communicators. So we older people are habituated to consulting the documentation rather than tinkering. And because the quality of the documentation (including the intelligibility of instructions presented 'on the screen') is so dubious, we are frequently stymied in our efforts to understand how to use this technology.

So, yes, I am having great difficulty understanding my new Moto G, not least why connecting my cell phone to my Mac causes my Mac keyboard to freeze. How in the world am I supposed to figure that out?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
To someone who's familiar with iOS, Android is complicated. What you know how to do is easy, what you don't know how to do, and have no plans to learn, is complicated.

When my wife still had her EnV and tried to make a call on my Precedent, she almost threw it against the wall in frustration. Now that she's been using her Note 3 for a year, she thinks about what she wants to do, not about how to do it. She knows all the apps, where they are on which homepage, how to switch internet connections (weird wifi situation here). And when I tried to use my daughter's friend's iPhone, I spent almost all my time trying to figure out HOW, not WHAT. (Considering that they had to drag me from DOS to Windows - that was Windows 386 - with a team of horses, you can tell that I'm not an early adapter, or someone who likes change. Took a couple of years to drag me from CP/M 86 to DOS, too.)

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Being in IT (Information Technology) the last 17+ years, I think Android is just much more intuitive and logical to us IT types. Whereas IOS seems to be easier for the general consumer (non-IT types). Because personally, I've never had an issue understanding any of my Android devices. Whereas, my girl's iDevices I feel a bit lost and often struggle to understand where things are located and why they're setup that way (they're often setup in a very illogical way, at least to my highly logical mind. :)). On the other hand, my girl (a non-IT type) feels the exact opposite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol