How to do a complete backup of Android

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've recently switched from an iPhone 4 to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Can anyone point me to software that does a complete backup of phone to my PC similar to what iTunes does for the iPhone? Note: I would prefer not to root the brand-new phone since I understand that voids the warranty. Also, a backup to SD card is not possible since the phone does not include one. Thanks
Pete

Last edited:

SquareWide

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
You would need to be rooted as far as I know.
Then you can perform a backup easily.

I don't know any way to do a full device backup without root.

Don't be afraid to ROOT. Especially on Samsung it's a breeze.

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
There are apps with backup features like. Lookout Mobile Security. you can sync your contacts to your gmail and when you access your Google Play from a computer it keeps track of every app you ever downloaded. I home that helps a bit

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Android Central Forums

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've used Wug's NRT v1.5.3 to unlock and root my Galaxy Nexus. I'm now making Nandroid backups. It's great. I've also purchased Titanium Backup Pro and using it to backup apps and their associated data.. Basically, the former program will be used to recover from catastrophic event and the latter to re-install apps and data. Thanks for all the feedback.
Pete

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
It depends on how you define a "complete backup"

Your contacts automatically sync to your Google account unless you select to save them on the phone with certain manufacturer
All of your app downloads and purchases are saved in the Play Store (or the Amazon App Store) Same with any music, books, or videos you purchase through Google.
All of your email is stored in the cloud (unless you setup an account as a POP account)
If you sign up with either Picasa or Google+ (both google services) you can automatically have your pictures and videos uploaded and synced. You can also manually copy to a computer.
If you use Chrome (a Google app) then your bookmarks are sync'd

Ok, so what isn't sync'd...
Call log (don't think iTunes syncs this either)
SMS/MMS messages (don't think iTunes syncs this either)
Local files you stored on your phones like downloads and anything you put on there manually, but you can manually copy these files to a computer (same applies to iTunes, right)
Bookmarks if you're not using or can't use chrome, but you might be able to export them
App data! This is the big one because you can't save your progress in games, app settings, or anything stored within the apps (I'm pretty sure the iPhone has this same problem.)
Phone settings / Home screen setup ... can be a pain to have to re-setup everything (does the iPhone even have settings :) )

As you can see, most of the important stuff is backed up and automatically sync'd. I'm pretty sure Andoid's backup is almost as robust as the iPhone's, but it's not quite as elegent because it's in a lot of different apps.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how you define a "complete backup"

Your contacts automatically sync to your Google account unless you select to save them on the phone with certain manufacturer
All of your app downloads and purchases are saved in the Play Store (or the Amazon App Store) Same with any music, books, or videos you purchase through Google.
All of your email is stored in the cloud (unless you setup an account as a POP account)
If you sign up with either Picasa or Google+ (both google services) you can automatically have your pictures and videos uploaded and synced. You can also manually copy to a computer.
If you use Chrome (a Google app) then your bookmarks are sync'd

Ok, so what isn't sync'd...
Call log (don't think iTunes syncs this either)
SMS/MMS messages (don't think iTunes syncs this either)
Local files you stored on your phones like downloads and anything you put on there manually, but you can manually copy these files to a computer (same applies to iTunes, right)
Bookmarks if you're not using or can't use chrome, but you might be able to export them
App data! This is the big one because you can't save your progress in games, app settings, or anything stored within the apps (I'm pretty sure the iPhone has this same problem.)
Phone settings / Home screen setup ... can be a pain to have to re-setup everything (does the iPhone even have settings :) )

As you can see, most of the important stuff is backed up and automatically sync'd. I'm pretty sure Andoid's backup is almost as robust as the iPhone's, but it's not quite as elegent because it's in a lot of different apps.
Thanks. Sounds like you're taking full advantage of the cloud. Personally, I like to have personal custody of my backups so I'm very satisfied with Titanium Backup for backing up all apps and their associated data and NRT v1.5.3 for making a complete image of phone in case of catastrophic event. I will also need to copy things like pics, videos, and music to/from the phone.
Pete

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Sounds like you're taking full advantage of the cloud. Personally, I like to have personal custody of my backups so I'm very satisfied with Titanium Backup for backing up all apps and their associated data and NRT v1.5.3 for making a complete image of phone in case of catastrophic event. I will also need to copy things like pics, videos, and music to/from the phone.
Pete

OK. I though you were looking for non-root solutions. Yeah I use TiBu also and TWRP to make complete nandroid backups, but that's because I'm flashing ROMs. I was just saying for the average non-rooted user, most of the important stuff is already backed up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Pete
Thanks. Yes, I started out hoping not to have to root phone, but quickly convinced myself that it would be worthwhile. I just learned that with Cerebus I can access additional features and disguise it as a system app because I'm rooted.
Pete

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie