Noob WiFi question

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I've never owned a WiFi capable phone before and never had a wireless computer network set up at home (I have a cable modem and use a desktop PC instead of a laptop so a wireless network isn't necessary for me). I plan on buying the Moto Droid X in a couple weeks and have heard that WiFi speeds are generally faster than 3G speeds so I'd like to take advantage of them.

I'd like to keep my current cable connection that I'm using now for my computing needs. I know I'd need a wireless router if I want to use WiFi at home with the new phone. However, is there a router out there or some other type of device that would let me maintain my cable modem for my desktop PC usage but allow me to connect via WiFi only on my phone? I doubt such a thing exists but wanted to throw it out there anyway. Is my only option to set up a wireless network at home that my desktop PC must use?

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Most routers these days have four or more wired ports that you'd connect your desktop to, in addition to the wireless interface for laptops, phones, etc. About the WiFi speeds being much faster than 3G, well... that all depends on how fast your cable connection is, really. I'm paying for 8 Mbps in my house currently, but I only get 6.5-7 (distance to DSL station being the main reason), so the 6-7 Mbps I get on my phone from 3G is actually better.

In any case, more or less any modern router will have 4 wired ports and wireless. Connect your cable modem to the router, as well as your desktop (via an Ethernet cable into one of the router's four ports) and then connect your phone to the router's WiFi. :)

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info SeeK. Is there a particular router manufacturer that you would recommend? I don't want to spend a lot and have been reading various mixed reviews online from Linksys, NetGear, D-Link, Belkin, etc. I live in a small condo (about 1,000 square feet all on the same level) so I'd like to think that I would get sufficient range from virtually any router I may choose to buy since the furthest point in my condo from the router location would be only about 50 feet or so.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Most routers these days have four or more wired ports that you'd connect your desktop to, in addition to the wireless interface for laptops, phones, etc. About the WiFi speeds being much faster than 3G, well... that all depends on how fast your cable connection is, really. I'm paying for 8 Mbps in my house currently, but I only get 6.5-7 (distance to DSL station being the main reason), so the 6-7 Mbps I get on my phone from 3G is actually better.

In any case, more or less any modern router will have 4 wired ports and wireless. Connect your cable modem to the router, as well as your desktop (via an Ethernet cable into one of the router's four ports) and then connect your phone to the router's WiFi. :)

o_O

6-7 mbits via 3G?!? Where the hell do you live, and are there any places for rent?

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
He is, apparently, in Stockholm.

Is there a particular router manufacturer that you would recommend? I don't want to spend a lot and have been reading various mixed reviews online from Linksys, NetGear, D-Link, Belkin, etc.
FWIW, I've always has good luck with Linksys. Though I'm sure others would say the same of other brands as well.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I am indeed on a HSPA network, I'm on the Swedish Three grid. I can get 10 Mbps, but then I'll have to pay another $7 a month. xD

And yes, I agree that Linksys is quite good. Some of their newer routers have really nice specs. The one my dad's got in his store works quite well, I believe it's the WRT160N. You probably won't need Wireless N though, so something more basic is likely to suffice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol