Is This G1 Unlocked?
So I was cruising along on eBay the other day and found a good deal of a T-Mobile G1/HTC Dream. Obviously this is ancient hardware and software but on a whim I picked it up mostly for bragging rights :"Hey I have the ORIGINAL Android phone" that kinda thing.
Anyway I fully expected the phone to be locked and was considering getting an unlock code from one of the various sights out there so it would work with an AT&T SIM card (and if not I could mess with it on WiFi). I am well aware that this would be an EDGE ONLY situation because of the frequency differences.
Anyway I put the SIM card into it, powered it on and expected to get a a prompt for an unlock code or subsidy code or at least something that says unrecognized SIM. All of my experience with unlicked phones has been on Blackberry..
- The phone does not say anything about needing an unlock code
- The screen lock screeen recognizes that it is on AT&T
- The about phone screen shows that it is n AT&T, and detects the phone number
- The Status screen shows Mobile Network Type as EDGE (as expected)
- However data does not work (except on WiFi)
- I am unable to make calls (phone app crashes).
So my question to those of you with more experience is Is this phone locked? (dont want to waste money on an unlock code if I dont need it)
Are there some settings that I need to change somewhere to get it working?