how to completely remove google from android phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
thanks everyone for your input as to stop or proceed! I will be sure to let everyone know how I did what!

I'll share my 2 cents. I don't think that removing everything is necessary from a privacy or data standpoint. But it's your phone and you can do whatever you want.

I'm kinda curious as to how this will work so I'm kinda hoping you decide to do it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

kareln

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why this question received so much paternalistic beating.

Android is a linux-based open source OS, so I see it as a correct request to be able to use this (open) system, without being forced to use the bunch of one company's services, whatever useful people on this forum find them. There are also many great non-google services one might prefer to subscribe to, but without google account one can't even make a phone call on android (I think). And I don't think that's right, whatever useful gapplications are.

I hope that Firefox OS will bring a fresh air to this: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2012/07/02/firefox-mobile-os/

k.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Android is a linux-based open source OS, so I see it as a correct request to be able to use this (open) system, without being forced to use the bunch of one company's services, whatever useful people on this forum find them. There are also many great non-google services one might prefer to subscribe to, but without google account one can't even make a phone call on android (I think). And I don't think that's right, whatever useful gapplications are.

I hope that Firefox OS will bring a fresh air to this: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2012/07/02/firefox-mobile-os/

k.

While the snarkiness wasn't necessary, I do have to disagree with you a little.

Android is "a linux-based open source OS" built by Google which, by default, connects to Google's framework. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) I can understand the desire to run Android without Google, but I don't think it's realistic without developing your own fork like Amazon did. But that's borderline note Android anymore.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
On android 2.3 the data indicator / signal strength meter is either grey or blue - when you are connected to google the connection is blue. When you first power up your radio from airplane mode the signal bar is at first grey, and then turns blue!

I have root - however the above applications can't be uninstalled - at least not until I know the file names, need to delete the files manually I'm assuming.

Research is under-way!

- - - Updated - - -

I read a while back somewhere every ten minutes or so google and your phone communicate - your phone sends a pluse to the google servers letting it know various information about your device.
Google sends data back and that's the heartbeat between your device and google.
There's a lot of background data that gets sent.

I'm not sure where I saw this and lost my bookmark :/

Not wearing any reynold's yet!
However
Yes I'm concerned with my privacy - I'm on a mission to minimize google's interaction with my phone, and free up memory!

Google is going to send data regardless of those apps you still have tons of Google api's that report you can't stop it so good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

k.

It uses an open source Linux kernel lol its actually running a java virtual machine on top of that. Google built it Google made it dependent on them to operate if you don't like it try and build Ubuntu mobile or Firefox for your phone. You agreed to those services and what they entailed when you bought it.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
It uses an open source Linux kernel lol its actually running a java virtual machine on top of that. Google built it Google made it dependent on them to operate if you don't like it try and build Ubuntu mobile or Firefox for your phone. You agreed to those services and what they entailed when you bought it.

It's kind of like saying Toyota made your car, therefore you can't remove the A/C pump because Toyota made it and you agreed to it when you bought it.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of like saying Toyota made your car, therefore you can't remove the A/C pump because Toyota made it and you agreed to it when you bought it.

Difference is its not hardware software is a whole other monster brother if you want to be rid of Google you can't use Google software :rolleyes:. Its like saying I want Google earth without Google it makes no sense.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Technically if it runs on a Linux kernel it could be worked on for your phone so you could essentially build Ubuntu mobile.

jacarpenter

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Google is going to send data regardless of those apps you still have tons of Google api's that report you can't stop it so good luck

Hmmmm. I dunno about that. I've just started exploring the Android world, but it is also my goal to eliminate all traces of google, spyware and other useless garbage.

So far, I've bought a handful of inexpensive android phones that are several years old. In my first experiments, I've rooted an HTC Droid Incredible, installed Cyanogenmod 10 (4.1.2) and activated it on a network. I did *not* reinstall google apps. Nor will I. Ever. I have not yet found a method to substitute another search engine for goggle on my desktop. But I will.

On the positive side, I've added all the functions I've wanted thru 3rd party apps -- task manager, app installer, ROM manager, wall paper, etc. And so far, my only problem appears to be adware and spyware. I value my privacy so it is massively disconcerting that I can launch my task manager and find a dozen apps running (that I did not start) and have advertisements displayed within my task manager. It's equally disheartening to install apps and have them demand access to data that clearly is NONE of their damn business.

My goal now is to to tighten up my binaries to eliminate *leakage* and all this advertising crapware. I don't mind one bit paying premium prices for apps that follow my philosophy. Unfortunately, it appears that I have to hunt down these apps one-at-a-time as I have not seen many people that apparently care about their privacy. I wish that more people paid attention to what is happening in front of their faces but it appears that a great many simply don't care. I believe they will find that to be an expensive mistake.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm. I dunno about that. I've just started exploring the Android world, but it is also my goal to eliminate all traces of google, spyware and other useless garbage.

So far, I've bought a handful of inexpensive android phones that are several years old. In my first experiments, I've rooted an HTC Droid Incredible, installed Cyanogenmod 10 (4.1.2) and activated it on a network. I did *not* reinstall google apps. Nor will I. Ever. I have not yet found a method to substitute another search engine for goggle on my desktop. But I will.

On the positive side, I've added all the functions I've wanted thru 3rd party apps -- task manager, app installer, ROM manager, wall paper, etc. And so far, my only problem appears to be adware and spyware. I value my privacy so it is massively disconcerting that I can launch my task manager and find a dozen apps running (that I did not start) and have advertisements displayed within my task manager. It's equally disheartening to install apps and have them demand access to data that clearly is NONE of their damn business.

My goal now is to to tighten up my binaries to eliminate *leakage* and all this advertising crapware. I don't mind one bit paying premium prices for apps that follow my philosophy. Unfortunately, it appears that I have to hunt down these apps one-at-a-time as I have not seen many people that apparently care about their privacy. I wish that more people paid attention to what is happening in front of their faces but it appears that a great many simply don't care. I believe they will find that to be an expensive mistake.

I must admit that I don't share your opinions on privacy, but I respect your right to them. Honestly I'm intrigued by this endeavor. You should write about your efforts and experiences. Maybe submit it to Android Central for an ongoing column. Or just publish it on your own blog. I suspect that there's something that everyone can learn.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Google apps aren't the only thing sending to Google lmao there's still api's in the system itself that's what I'm saying its much deeper than just apps man its everywhere. Have you ever built from source if not then trust me you have no idea what you are doing.

jacarpenter

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Google apps aren't the only thing sending to Google lmao there's still api's in the system itself that's what I'm saying its much deeper than just apps man its everywhere. Have you ever built from source if not then trust me you have no idea what you are doing.

As for the API's, I believe you are mistaken about google communications in Android. This is open source so finding a definative answer should not be a problem at some point. The firmware device drivers on many android phones appear to be "closed source" so I would expect any built-in spyware to be hiding in those.

Compiling ROMs from source is definately where I'm heading next. It appears to be the only way to remove google search and install my choice of search engine. I've really got to tell you -- running android without the google-apps bloatware is a refreshing experience.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
As for the API's, I believe you are mistaken about google communications in Android. This is open source so finding a definative answer should not be a problem at some point. The firmware device drivers on many android phones appear to be "closed source" so I would expect any built-in spyware to be hiding in those.

Compiling ROMs from source is definately where I'm heading next. It appears to be the only way to remove google search and install my choice of search engine. I've really got to tell you -- running android without the google-apps bloatware is a refreshing experience.

OK man if you don't want to listen to those who have been doing this for years more power to ya.:rolleyes:

jacarpenter

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
"OK man if you don't want to listen to those who have been doing this for years more power to ya.:rolleyes:"

When my daughter rolls her eyes, I stand her in the corner.

If you have anything specific and documentable to add to the discussion, I'm all ears. Otherwise, your post comes across like "urban legend".

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I love how one guy joined specifically to revive this thread and troll. Great.

Fact is:
1) You need a Google ID for an Android device.
2) You need an Apple ID for an iOS device.
3) You need a Windows Live ID for Windows phones.

It's no big deal. It's just another ID. If you don't want a Google ID, don't get an Android phone. Go get an Apple ID or Windows Live ID and get one of the other phones.

Of course, on your other phone or device, the second you want to use Gmail or use Youtube or Picasa or Google Drive or Google Music (the list goes on), you're going to need a Google ID anyways. You know, because they're Google products. Likewise if I want to use iTunes on my PC, I'd need an AppleID. Or if I want to use Facebook...I need a Facebook ID. If I want the XBOX app on my phone, I'm going to need a Windows Live ID (which I already have for my XBOX of course).

Point is, quit fretting. It's a non-issue.

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Now that I think about it, if you're concerned with IDs, don't get an Apple Device.

Assuming you live in this century and use at least one Google product, you're going to need a Google ID regardless of which device you get. You may also need a Windows Live ID regardless of product (if you use any Microsoft service).

But if you don't have an iOS device, you don't need an Apple ID. At all. For anything.

So if you bought an iOS device, you'd need up to 3 IDs (An Apple ID, a Google ID, and probably a Windows Live ID). With any other device, you can get by with 2 IDs, possibly only one if you get an Android device and don't need the Windows Live ID for XBOX or Skydrive or something else.

Yep, of the 3, Android probably requires the least number of IDs cause it's a good possibility that you may be able to get by with solely a Google ID. All the other devices are going to require at least 2 IDs (again, assuming you live in this century and use at least one Google product).

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I can kind of see the point here: by owning an official Android device, you are making a tradeoff with Google. They give you access to an OS and the many aspects of it's functionality, and in return for that access, you allow Google to mine information from you.

That's just the way it is, because at the end of the day, Google isn't just a tech company. That's what they started as, but now they're bottom line is to make revenues for Wall Street. So it's a fact of life, they are self serving.

But that's not to say you are stuck, because you're not. If the contract with Google really bothers you, there are going to be more options available in 2013 that give you more freedom. Firefox OS, Tizen, and Ubuntu for Android are all dropping devices this year, supposedly. So just switch to one of those and go with it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01