Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 96
Like Tree48Likes
  1. #26  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by notforios View Post
    On android 2.3 the data indicator / signal strength meter is either grey or blue - when you are connected to google the connection is blue. When you first power up your radio from airplane mode the signal bar is at first grey, and then turns blue!

    I have root - however the above applications can't be uninstalled - at least not until I know the file names, need to delete the files manually I'm assuming.

    Research is under-way!

    - - - Updated - - -



    I read a while back somewhere every ten minutes or so google and your phone communicate - your phone sends a pluse to the google servers letting it know various information about your device.
    Google sends data back and that's the heartbeat between your device and google.
    There's a lot of background data that gets sent.

    I'm not sure where I saw this and lost my bookmark :/

    Not wearing any reynold's yet!
    However
    Yes I'm concerned with my privacy - I'm on a mission to minimize google's interaction with my phone, and free up memory!
    Google is going to send data regardless of those apps you still have tons of Google api's that report you can't stop it so good luck

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  2. #27  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by kareln View Post
    I don't understand why this question received so much paternalistic beating.

    Android is a linux-based open source OS, so I see it as a correct request to be able to use this (open) system, without being forced to use the bunch of one company's services, whatever useful people on this forum find them. There are also many great non-google services one might prefer to subscribe to, but without google account one can't even make a phone call on android (I think). And I don't think that's right, whatever useful gapplications are.

    I hope that Firefox OS will bring a fresh air to this: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2012/0...fox-mobile-os/

    k.
    It uses an open source Linux kernel lol its actually running a java virtual machine on top of that. Google built it Google made it dependent on them to operate if you don't like it try and build Ubuntu mobile or Firefox for your phone. You agreed to those services and what they entailed when you bought it.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  3. #28  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    It uses an open source Linux kernel lol its actually running a java virtual machine on top of that. Google built it Google made it dependent on them to operate if you don't like it try and build Ubuntu mobile or Firefox for your phone. You agreed to those services and what they entailed when you bought it.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    It's kind of like saying Toyota made your car, therefore you can't remove the A/C pump because Toyota made it and you agreed to it when you bought it.

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  4. #29  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    It's kind of like saying Toyota made your car, therefore you can't remove the A/C pump because Toyota made it and you agreed to it when you bought it.

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Difference is its not hardware software is a whole other monster brother if you want to be rid of Google you can't use Google software :rolleyes:. Its like saying I want Google earth without Google it makes no sense.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #30  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Technically if it runs on a Linux kernel it could be worked on for your phone so you could essentially build Ubuntu mobile.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  6. #31  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Google is going to send data regardless of those apps you still have tons of Google api's that report you can't stop it so good luck


    Hmmmm. I dunno about that. I've just started exploring the Android world, but it is also my goal to eliminate all traces of google, spyware and other useless garbage.

    So far, I've bought a handful of inexpensive android phones that are several years old. In my first experiments, I've rooted an HTC Droid Incredible, installed Cyanogenmod 10 (4.1.2) and activated it on a network. I did *not* reinstall google apps. Nor will I. Ever. I have not yet found a method to substitute another search engine for goggle on my desktop. But I will.

    On the positive side, I've added all the functions I've wanted thru 3rd party apps -- task manager, app installer, ROM manager, wall paper, etc. And so far, my only problem appears to be adware and spyware. I value my privacy so it is massively disconcerting that I can launch my task manager and find a dozen apps running (that I did not start) and have advertisements displayed within my task manager. It's equally disheartening to install apps and have them demand access to data that clearly is NONE of their damn business.

    My goal now is to to tighten up my binaries to eliminate *leakage* and all this advertising crapware. I don't mind one bit paying premium prices for apps that follow my philosophy. Unfortunately, it appears that I have to hunt down these apps one-at-a-time as I have not seen many people that apparently care about their privacy. I wish that more people paid attention to what is happening in front of their faces but it appears that a great many simply don't care. I believe they will find that to be an expensive mistake.
    Thanked by 2:
    ewthompson585 likes this.
  7. #32  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jacarpenter View Post
    Hmmmm. I dunno about that. I've just started exploring the Android world, but it is also my goal to eliminate all traces of google, spyware and other useless garbage.

    So far, I've bought a handful of inexpensive android phones that are several years old. In my first experiments, I've rooted an HTC Droid Incredible, installed Cyanogenmod 10 (4.1.2) and activated it on a network. I did *not* reinstall google apps. Nor will I. Ever. I have not yet found a method to substitute another search engine for goggle on my desktop. But I will.

    On the positive side, I've added all the functions I've wanted thru 3rd party apps -- task manager, app installer, ROM manager, wall paper, etc. And so far, my only problem appears to be adware and spyware. I value my privacy so it is massively disconcerting that I can launch my task manager and find a dozen apps running (that I did not start) and have advertisements displayed within my task manager. It's equally disheartening to install apps and have them demand access to data that clearly is NONE of their damn business.

    My goal now is to to tighten up my binaries to eliminate *leakage* and all this advertising crapware. I don't mind one bit paying premium prices for apps that follow my philosophy. Unfortunately, it appears that I have to hunt down these apps one-at-a-time as I have not seen many people that apparently care about their privacy. I wish that more people paid attention to what is happening in front of their faces but it appears that a great many simply don't care. I believe they will find that to be an expensive mistake.
    I must admit that I don't share your opinions on privacy, but I respect your right to them. Honestly I'm intrigued by this endeavor. You should write about your efforts and experiences. Maybe submit it to Android Central for an ongoing column. Or just publish it on your own blog. I suspect that there's something that everyone can learn.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    notforios likes this.
  8. #33  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jacarpenter View Post
    Hmmmm. I dunno about that. I've just started exploring the Android world, but it is also my goal to eliminate all traces of google, spyware and other useless garbage.

    So far, I've bought a handful of inexpensive android phones that are several years old. In my first experiments, I've rooted an HTC Droid Incredible, installed Cyanogenmod 10 (4.1.2) and activated it on a network. I did *not* reinstall google apps. Nor will I. Ever. I have not yet found a method to substitute another search engine for goggle on my desktop. But I will.

    On the positive side, I've added all the functions I've wanted thru 3rd party apps -- task manager, app installer, ROM manager, wall paper, etc. And so far, my only problem appears to be adware and spyware. I value my privacy so it is massively disconcerting that I can launch my task manager and find a dozen apps running (that I did not start) and have advertisements displayed within my task manager. It's equally disheartening to install apps and have them demand access to data that clearly is NONE of their damn business.

    My goal now is to to tighten up my binaries to eliminate *leakage* and all this advertising crapware. I don't mind one bit paying premium prices for apps that follow my philosophy. Unfortunately, it appears that I have to hunt down these apps one-at-a-time as I have not seen many people that apparently care about their privacy. I wish that more people paid attention to what is happening in front of their faces but it appears that a great many simply don't care. I believe they will find that to be an expensive mistake.
    Google apps aren't the only thing sending to Google lmao there's still api's in the system itself that's what I'm saying its much deeper than just apps man its everywhere. Have you ever built from source if not then trust me you have no idea what you are doing.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  9. #34  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Google apps aren't the only thing sending to Google lmao there's still api's in the system itself that's what I'm saying its much deeper than just apps man its everywhere. Have you ever built from source if not then trust me you have no idea what you are doing.


    As for the API's, I believe you are mistaken about google communications in Android. This is open source so finding a definative answer should not be a problem at some point. The firmware device drivers on many android phones appear to be "closed source" so I would expect any built-in spyware to be hiding in those.

    Compiling ROMs from source is definately where I'm heading next. It appears to be the only way to remove google search and install my choice of search engine. I've really got to tell you -- running android without the google-apps bloatware is a refreshing experience.
  10. #35  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jacarpenter View Post
    As for the API's, I believe you are mistaken about google communications in Android. This is open source so finding a definative answer should not be a problem at some point. The firmware device drivers on many android phones appear to be "closed source" so I would expect any built-in spyware to be hiding in those.

    Compiling ROMs from source is definately where I'm heading next. It appears to be the only way to remove google search and install my choice of search engine. I've really got to tell you -- running android without the google-apps bloatware is a refreshing experience.
    OK man if you don't want to listen to those who have been doing this for years more power to ya.:rolleyes:

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  11. #36  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    "OK man if you don't want to listen to those who have been doing this for years more power to ya.:rolleyes:"



    When my daughter rolls her eyes, I stand her in the corner.

    If you have anything specific and documentable to add to the discussion, I'm all ears. Otherwise, your post comes across like "urban legend".
  12. #37  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    I love how one guy joined specifically to revive this thread and troll. Great.

    Fact is:
    1) You need a Google ID for an Android device.
    2) You need an Apple ID for an iOS device.
    3) You need a Windows Live ID for Windows phones.

    It's no big deal. It's just another ID. If you don't want a Google ID, don't get an Android phone. Go get an Apple ID or Windows Live ID and get one of the other phones.

    Of course, on your other phone or device, the second you want to use Gmail or use Youtube or Picasa or Google Drive or Google Music (the list goes on), you're going to need a Google ID anyways. You know, because they're Google products. Likewise if I want to use iTunes on my PC, I'd need an AppleID. Or if I want to use Facebook...I need a Facebook ID. If I want the XBOX app on my phone, I'm going to need a Windows Live ID (which I already have for my XBOX of course).

    Point is, quit fretting. It's a non-issue.
    Last edited by EvilMonkey; 02-06-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    Thanked by 2:
    Lanhoj likes this.
  13. #38  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    I love how one guy joined specifically to revive this thread and troll. Great.
    1st rule of the internet, Don't feed the trolls.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Lanhoj likes this.
  14. #39  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Now that I think about it, if you're concerned with IDs, don't get an Apple Device.

    Assuming you live in this century and use at least one Google product, you're going to need a Google ID regardless of which device you get. You may also need a Windows Live ID regardless of product (if you use any Microsoft service).

    But if you don't have an iOS device, you don't need an Apple ID. At all. For anything.

    So if you bought an iOS device, you'd need up to 3 IDs (An Apple ID, a Google ID, and probably a Windows Live ID). With any other device, you can get by with 2 IDs, possibly only one if you get an Android device and don't need the Windows Live ID for XBOX or Skydrive or something else.

    Yep, of the 3, Android probably requires the least number of IDs cause it's a good possibility that you may be able to get by with solely a Google ID. All the other devices are going to require at least 2 IDs (again, assuming you live in this century and use at least one Google product).
  15. #40  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    I can kind of see the point here: by owning an official Android device, you are making a tradeoff with Google. They give you access to an OS and the many aspects of it's functionality, and in return for that access, you allow Google to mine information from you.

    That's just the way it is, because at the end of the day, Google isn't just a tech company. That's what they started as, but now they're bottom line is to make revenues for Wall Street. So it's a fact of life, they are self serving.

    But that's not to say you are stuck, because you're not. If the contract with Google really bothers you, there are going to be more options available in 2013 that give you more freedom. Firefox OS, Tizen, and Ubuntu for Android are all dropping devices this year, supposedly. So just switch to one of those and go with it!

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  16. #41  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    I love how one guy joined specifically to revive this thread and troll. Great.

    Fact is:
    1) You need a Google ID for an Android device.
    2) You need an Apple ID for an iOS device.
    3) You need a Windows Live ID for Windows phones.




    Most amazing thing I've ever seen -- it's like people really want slavery. Fact is: You do not need a Google ID for an android device.

    I bought a phone, rooted, flashed a new ROM on WiFI. I used alternative App repositories in keeping with my goal to eliminate google.

    After ROM flash, I did not reinstall Google Apps. Period. I do not have a Google account. The phone works fine and is my "daily driver" this month.
  17. #42  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jacarpenter View Post
    I love how one guy joined specifically to revive this thread and troll. Great.

    Fact is:
    1) You need a Google ID for an Android device.
    2) You need an Apple ID for an iOS device.
    3) You need a Windows Live ID for Windows phones.




    Most amazing thing I've ever seen -- it's like people really want slavery. Fact is: You do not need a Google ID for an android device.

    I bought a phone, rooted, flashed a new ROM on WiFI. I used alternative App repositories in keeping with my goal to eliminate google.

    After ROM flash, I did not reinstall Google Apps. Period. I do not have a Google account. The phone works fine and is my "daily driver" this month.
    Doesn't mean its not reporting back to base lol. But you have sniffed all that out right? there is more than meets the eye my son.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  18. #43  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jacarpenter View Post
    [B][I]
    Most amazing thing I've ever seen -- it's like people really want slavery.
    LOL.
  19. #44  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Doesn't mean its not reporting back to base lol. But you have sniffed all that out right? there is more than meets the eye my son.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2


    I've only been playing with android for a week. It's a very-large, multipart technology. If you have concrete facts and verifiable info, you have my complete and total attention.

    I'm completely amazed at the groupthink I have encountered in some places. I think the people that did the Stanford experiment would be extremely interested in observing this field.
  20. #45  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Doesn't mean its not reporting back to base lol. But you have sniffed all that out right? there is more than meets the eye my son.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    This is definitely outside of my area of expertise, but if he/she is using the phone without a Google account, then even if it's "reporting back to the base" the most that could happen is to connect the data to the phones id (MEI # or whatever), but it couldn't be connected to the person. Right?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  21. #46  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    This is definitely outside of my area of expertise, but if he/she is using the phone without a Google account, then even if it's "reporting back to the base" the most that could happen is to connect the data to the phones id (MEI # or whatever), but it couldn't be connected to the person. Right?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    True its only going to report what it can get but its still able to send some data back.

    Remember the open handset alliance is comprised primarily of Google employees so even if you think its neutral its not. The closest I could see is using cm not aosp.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  22. #47  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jacarpenter View Post
    I've only been playing with android for a week. It's a very-large, multipart technology. If you have concrete facts and verifiable info, you have my complete and total attention.

    I'm completely amazed at the groupthink I have encountered in some places. I think the people that did the Stanford experiment would be extremely interested in observing this field.
    I'm all for reasonable privacy, but don't you think you're taking this a bit too far? With as large of a programmer base there is for the Android OS, didn't it occur to you that someone would have voiced these major privacy concerns by now that you seem to think exist? Or do you think it's all a huge conspiracy by the thousands of independent programmers out there?

    After only having a week with Android, you really don't have any credibility. What exactly are your concerns about privacy? Unless you live "off the grid" with no bank accounts, computers, phones, Facebook accounts, etc, you will always be able to be tracked. Worried about ID theft? There's babies that have had their's stolen and they have none of those. Spyware? If you only download from official markets, you have nothing to worry about sneaking onto your phone.
  23. #48  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    I'm all for reasonable privacy, but don't you think you're taking this a bit too far? With as large of a programmer base there is for the Android OS, didn't it occur to you that someone would have voiced these major privacy concerns by now that you seem to think exist? Or do you think it's all a huge conspiracy by the thousands of independent programmers out there?

    After only having a week with Android, you really don't have any credibility. What exactly are your concerns about privacy? Unless you live "off the grid" with no bank accounts, computers, phones, Facebook accounts, etc, you will always be able to be tracked. Worried about ID theft? There's babies that have had their's stolen and they have none of those. Spyware? If you only download from official markets, you have nothing to worry about sneaking onto your phone.




    Taking privacy too far? Honestly .... no.

    Utilizing the "cloud" or allowing android apps unnecessary privileges would require a large quantity of trust and/or naivet. Speaking of trust -- can you look someone in the face and tell them you trust our large corporations or government? I know I don't. But I've been around a while.

    You talk about the large numbers of programmers out there and ask if I think it's a conspiracy. Look at it from this perspective. I have, several times now, mentioned that I was totally interested in concrete/verifiable info about spyware in Android. How many people in this thread are espousing the idea that this is fact and yet not one soul has come forward with objective info? Does it make you question your belief systems?

    As far as credibility, I'm not concerned. I have a goal -- to separate Google from my phones. I'm asking for facts and stating what I know to be factual. If you think you can debunk what I have done, please do so. The facts will sort out themselves .... no?

    I'm amazed that you think that apps from official suppositories are safe. I can look at the privileges being demanded by some apps and I absolutely know these programs were built by individuals with seriously evil intentions. I have aborted installing many, many apps based on their demands for unnecessary privileges. What some think is acceptable data-mining to me is totally unacceptable theft of private info. Or worse. Life is too damn short for dealing with parasites.

    I believe that best-in-class apps that are 100% privacy oriented would achieve a wide following when people finally realize that we have alternatives to spyware-filled garbage.
    ewthompson585 likes this.
  24. #49  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Who wants a tinfoil hat? That guy lmfao.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    notforios likes this.
  25. #50  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Troll... :rolleyes:

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 221
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 02:29 AM
  2. How can i read files from Android phone?
    By cdf3 in forum Acer Iconia A500
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 08:14 PM
  3. How to search for pictures on Android phone?
    By Chrisy in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 08:36 AM
  4. How to pull .apk files from rooted phone
    By tigerchant in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 08:19 PM

Posting Permissions