Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree45Likes

Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

how about because they SUCK.. I remember when this company was a good thing.. now..its motto is JUST DO EVIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Wilson View Post
    how about because they SUCK.. I remember when this company was a good thing.. now..its motto is JUST DO EVIL.
    What are you, 12?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #78  

searched, how to remove google, couldnt find this discussion in the main results...annual bump activated!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #79  

just saw this...yes I can still make calls with the google branded items removed, no account connected, or the possibility to do so! cheers
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #80  

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Just turn off Google account sync in Accounts & Sync. You shouldn't have to Frankenstein your phone to do that.

The fact that you're asking this and are ready to start deleting system files suggests to me that you should STOP.

I am not sure why so many people were advising against me... This topic was to obtain simple file names if anyone had tried before...I never asked them to modify their phones, or if I should have been trying with my own! google staff writing the negatives?

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

I just wonder why you buy a Google phone if you don't want Google. It's like removing the Chevy from your Chevy, or the "Sweet" from sugar.

Android *IS* Google. Removing all Google apps from the phone renders it an almost useless little Linux computer. Leaving just those Google apps that you need to keep the phone functioning leaves almost all Google apps intact. (Not everything not labeled "google" in the phone is a non-Google app. MANY parts of the system itself are Google, but labeled as other things.)

If it's just curiosity, buy a Raspberry Pi, add some Qualcom chips to get the phone function and you have completely non-Google, non-Apple phone. But removing all Google from an Android phone is like removing Windows from a Windows computer (and not replacing it with anything). You're left with hardware.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #82  

again, not the point of this conversation! if anyone wants to know how I got my phone to the way I desired/described feel free to send a pm!

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    Android *IS* Google. Removing all Google apps from the phone renders it an almost useless little Linux computer.
    Linux is anything, but useless, let's just say without it, Google would not be successful as they are today and Android probably wouldn't exist either.

Quote Originally Posted by notforios View Post
    ... google staff writing the negatives?
    I have no professional or personal affiliation with Google. :P

Your question would probably get a lot more traction over on XDA-developers where users generally tinker and modify their Android devices.

You're correct you were asking what files to delete, and frankly I don't think most users here are qualified to answer that question. We did perhaps overreact. "How to completely remove Google from Android phone" is a peculiar request, because so much functionality of Android is tied up in Google services. You'd have an easier time flashing an alternate ROM that eschews Google services.

I am looking to completely remove anything google from within my os
    -
    hello, a while back I was reading on what files to delete within my filesystem (2.3)
    anyone know what to delete?
    I remember one file lost me the marketplace - I am okay with that!
    The heartbeat that google sends back and fourth - that file needs to go!

thanks so much in advance!

searched, how to remove google, couldnt find this discussion in the main results...annual bump activated!
    Please do not periodically "bump" the discussion just to get it higher up in Google search results, or the forum. For one, it's not that easy to game the Google search algorithm. Secondly, it may not be acceptable forum behavior (for this forum). If the "answer" you're trying it advertise is "PM me," then it's certainly not helpful for internet users who find the thread in a search engine. You found answers, post them here so everyone can learn from your experience.

Frankly, I think the thread needs to be moved. This doesn't seem like a common "General help and how-to" topic. I could be wrong.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    UJ95x likes this.

I wouldn't mind a discussion on ROMS. I do know not to install GAPPS. What I want is a PDA that makes phone calls and texts. I use most of the Astronomy apps, plus Audubon guides, etc. I don't socialize or do business on the phone. My camera manuals are also on the phone. Most of Google's crap is disabled already and the apps I do want won't run on a dumb phone.

I've given up the Gtalk phone number, I never used it. I don't like G+, I prefer Yahoo and special forums. With the new update removing Gallery and loading into Picasa, that's about the last straw. I don't store my stuff online, never have, never will. I use Flickr if I want to post, and Dropbox for friends.. Have for years. I dislike the assumption on anyone's part about one size fitting all.
    I do disable most of the crap in Windows, BTW. One computer exists only to run special software, and the other for Adobe. So I don't need all the extra crap. Both are offline. I can get files through Linux.

I can repurchase the apps I do use from Amazon. I can sync and save contact via vcf files. I don't sync with Google anyway.

I need a PDA that makes phone calls and runs the apps I want. Phone is rooted, still on 4.2 stock ROM. Will not update. Looking for the simplest ROM that doesn't have a boatload of bells and whistles. I'll buy it, I'm not looking for free.

I do not buy into any one system and have NO brand loyalty.
    Since Apple does the same and has even more crap - it's easier to disable Google's. If Google's primary interest is making money, then sell me the OS or use fee for Play and **** out of the advertising. Since I don't need or want most of the services, that's fair.
    paisley99 and Chuk Farlie like this.

My interest is in the list of the files "APK's", the OP took out of his /system/app/ directory ? or from anywhere else in the filesystem.
    Please list them. Please.
    I also want a usable Android phone, without Google all up in it. after all , now I want it free from the big G. as well. I know it's impossible, but if people can have an appendix removed and still live why can't google have a little surgery without the "Robot" dying? too.
    well it will be, when I finally toss a copy of Tizen to it. but then i would need to make it work on my carrier's network without them crying about my changes to the hardware/software.
    Last edited by Chuk Farlie; 12-18-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theshortorc View Post
    I can think of a ton of reaGoogleso do this. Everyone is making fun of the OP needs to wake up. Google apps are constantly draining battery, sending data, and spying on you.
    . It's perfectly reasonable to not want this crap
    Likewise, I am amazed at how many here assume one must be wearing a tin foil hat. It is not unreasonable to not want a corporation to know more about you than your family and friends do.

Being this is my first smartphone, I had no clue how connected Google was to Android.

I came across this thread wanting to do the same, get Google's prying eyes off my phone. Unfortunately, it appears completely removing Google from my device is beyond my capabilities at the moment.
    Last edited by gearsnguns4me; 01-18-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    ewthompson585 likes this.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Everything from Google?

Well, I think it's impossible since you're always going to have at least a Google account to even have the phone work.

I am not really sure why anyone would want to do this. No Google search? No Voice Actions? No YouTube (yes, Google owns that). No Gmail? No calendar? No Maps? No Google Navigation? Heck, you'd even have to remove the Play Store.

It's an Android phone...it integrates with Google services (the same way an iPhone integrates with Apple services). If you want Android, you're in the Google ecosystem, if you don't, you probably need to go elsewhere.

This is not meant to offend, but it seems like such a wild out there request, I have to wonder if you're serious, and if so, why? Is it a tinfoil hat scenario?
    I don't want to offend either but I am so, so sick of this type of response to this question. I want the same answer. I want to keep my Nexus 7 (love the hardware) but don't want ANY Google services on it. Google has found and aggregated some information, even pictures from ALL of my time on the internet (a post from 15 years ago for instance!). Yes, I'm of another generation and for the life of me I can't understand why people would be so quick to give up their privacy for a little convenience.

I have been all over the internet (that's how I got here) looking for an answer to this question. If it absolutely cannot be done, just say so. Otherwise, can anyone please tell the OP and me how to do what we want to do with OUR devices?

p.s. I have not read the rest of this thread and I will now. Perhaps it will tell me how to do what I want. I just saw the first response and had to chime in. Please people... just answer the questions asked if you can.
    paisley99 likes this.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Oh, and before anyone mentions it, I am putting aside my beautiful new Moto X because of this (sob) and going back to Blackberry. But they no longer make a tablet, hence my question on the Nexus 7.

You can turn off most of the Google spyware in your phone settings. Settings/Accounts/Google also Search, and Location. Go into all the sub menus. (Tap on each little setting to pull up more pages of settings).

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    ChromeJob, Sizzers and paisley99 like this.

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Easiest way - get a feature phone. No actual features - it makes and takes phone calls and has a local contacts list it keeps on the phone.

Of course you give up most of the capabilities of a smartphone, but that's what you want - a dumb phone that can't "phone home". And the next time you want to know what they orange star is, or which way to drive to get where you're going, pull into the nearest gas station to ask. Life was easier in the 50s anyway - all you needed was nickles to feed the pay phones.

I may be old, but I like being able to get on the internet when the store I'm in doesn't have what I want, and find a nearby store that does. Without asking the store if I can use their antiquated Windows XP computer with the 12" CRT. I say "home depot" in a town I've never been in and the phone tells me the fastest way to get there. Donna Stone looked nice doing housework in a shirtwaist, but it's 2014.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234