Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Results 101 to 122 of 122
Like Tree57Likes
  1. #101  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    14,740 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,742 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    The question is what data is Google getting from your phone, and how is it using it.

    If it gets that you searched for a particular address in Maps, that's one thing, but if all it got is that a search was made for a house number in a given area, that's another. (There are areas in which Maps shows only empty space. If a lot of people are searching for locations in a space like that, maybe they'll increase the map granularity for that area.) I have no problem with Google knowing that a phone was used to perform a function, I do have a problem with Google knowing that I searched for a particular item or street address. Are they collecting statistics or personal data?
  2. #102  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    The question is what data is Google getting from your phone, and how is it using it.

    If it gets that you searched for a particular address in Maps, that's one thing, but if all it got is that a search was made for a house number in a given area, that's another. (There are areas in which Maps shows only empty space. If a lot of people are searching for locations in a space like that, maybe they'll increase the map granularity for that area.) I have no problem with Google knowing that a phone was used to perform a function, I do have a problem with Google knowing that I searched for a particular item or street address. Are they collecting statistics or personal data?
    Google is definitely collecting personal data and building a profile on you. They do this so they can target ads to you. You can actually see (almost) everything Google collects in you go to your Google Dashboard. And Google actually allows you to delete it.

    Most people don't understand Google's business model. One common misconception is that Google sells your personal data. They absolutely do not. Your personal data is their competitive advantage. What Google does is sell targeted ads. To explain this we need some background.

    Back in the old days companies would buy ads in print, radio, and TV. The only data that was available was the total number of readers/viewers. So whatever medium (channel, station, magazine, etc) could deliver the most people could demand top dollar for ads. Later people started collecting basic statistics and demographics on readers/viewers (think Nielsen ratings). So companies were able to design targeted ads. They could say, I want my ad to be seen by african-american males between 25 and 34.

    Google has taken this to the next level with their information collection. Companies can approach Google and say "I want my ads to be seen be caucasian soccer moms between 28 and 30 who have a annual household income of between $80k and $100k, who have purchased a car in the past year and enjoy listening to light rock" and Google can deliver that kind of granularity to ads because of the personal information they collect. And because they can do this they can demand TOP dollar for ads. In theory this also creates a better experience for users because we see ads that we're actually interested in. (That's debatable.)

    So yes, Google collects a TON of personal information. No, they don't sell it or share it; in fact they guard it like their business depends on it (because it does). And in exchange for all this personal information they provide users with a ton of free services to keep them coming back. You have to decide if it's worth it to you.
    Crashdamage likes this.
  3. #103  

    Default i hate google i hate google i hate google

    I read a thread on a guy wanting to remove google fROm his phone, i hate google can someone tell me why i cannot control my phone i dont own my phone i payed google to use there phone and im saying this sarcasticAlly google controls every aspect of my phone they turn down myt volume the make me wait TO make phone calls because they are to busy to stop[ what ever update it is that they are doing they draIN THE HELL OUTTA MY BATTERY I DONT OWN MY PHONE GOOGLE OWNS MY PHONE AND GOOGLE LETS ME USE IT ONCE IN AWHILE THIS IS BULL**** I WANT GOOGLE OUT OF MY PHONE OR I WANT CONTROL OF MY FREAKING PHONE I PAYED FOR, SO I EITHER THROW THE SOB PIECE OF GARBAGE IN THE TRASH OR I FIGURE OUT HOW TO BECOME THE FXXKEN GUY THAT OWNS THE PHONE , HELL I PAYED FOR THE SOB....ANY IDEAS?
  4. #104  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    You're not making much sense, bud.
  5. #105  

    Default Re: i hate google i hate google i hate google

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Willett View Post
    I ... i hate google can someone tell me why i cannot control my phone....
    I don't think any of us can answer that, but I could make an educated guess....


    // Tapatalk on iPad Mini - Misspelling courtesy of Logitech folio kybd //
    [SIZE="1"]Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb).
  6. #106  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Because Google sucks and blows simultaneously?
  7. #107  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    I don't thin it is possible to remove Google from Android. I haven't heard anything like this. i hope you will get an effective answer.
  8. #108  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    I am interested in removing Google's tracking ability. I don't want an itty bitty computer that does what it wants and is an absolute pain for people with big hands to operate.
    I don't want a "smart" phone, I simply want a cell phone I can use to call people and receive calls. Problem is, I can't get one anymore and the other problem is that Republic Wireless just offers the Motorola "smart" phones and Republic is the most economical service I have found besides Tracfone.
  9. #109  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    What I don't get in this entire useless thread is why nobody understands that unused apps take up valuable memory space. I'd like to remove many Google apps as I simply do not use them and they waste space - simple as that. Speaking as a programmer, there should be NO reason something like Google + or GMail is required for the device to continue to function - maybe they made it that way, but there is no good reason for it to be that way an OS is not dependant on an app - only works the other way ;-)
    Jay Sacks likes this.
  10. #110  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Agreed. Besides the OS itself, the only thing Google related I use in my phone is GMail and Maps. Everything else has been disabled but I'd love to be able to delete all the deadwood.
  11. #111  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Gloriosa View Post
    What I don't get in this entire useless thread is why nobody understands that unused apps take up valuable memory space. I'd like to remove many Google apps as I simply do not use them and they waste space - simple as that. Speaking as a programmer, there should be NO reason something like Google + or GMail is required for the device to continue to function - maybe they made it that way, but there is no good reason for it to be that way an OS is not dependant on an app - only works the other way ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower203 View Post
    Agreed. Besides the OS itself, the only thing Google related I use in my phone is GMail and Maps. Everything else has been disabled but I'd love to be able to delete all the deadwood.
    With root access you can delete whatever system app you want to.

    Ultimately the best way to "remove" Google from your phone is to root, flash a custom ROM like CyanogenMod, and not install GAPPS (the collection of flashable Google system apps). The operating system is still based on AOSP, i.e. still Google, but nothing else would be. The only way to get around that would be to flash something that's not Android, like Ubuntu (Linux) or Firefox OS.
    ChromeJob likes this.
  12. #112  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Thanks jean15paul - just wish rooting wasn't required to do something that should be a simple click of the uninstall button - just proof that Google is attempting to keep a stranglehold wherever they can and however they can - pretty damn lousy - I'm over it ;-)
  13. #113  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Removing all the gapp files that I don't need is the first thing done whenever I install a new rom. Google really has nothing to do with needing root to delete the bloatware, other than creating the Android base on Linux. All the gapp files are located within /system directory. Since /system contains many important files, to protect users from doing harm to themselves, it makes sense to require the root priviledge inorder to manipulate the files in the directory. Root requirement is a part of Linux security philosophy, since Linux a meant to be access by multiple users. If anyone can access the system directory, well, you can see the potential danger. Now with that said, getting root is a good thing, not only can you remove the bolatwares from the device, you can also backup the device. The only way to remove the gapp files without the root is using the so call minimum gapp file instead.

    Using LG-E980 with Tapatalk
  14. #114  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkwind212 View Post
    Removing all the gapp files that I don't need is the first thing done whenever I install a new rom. Google really has nothing to do with needing root to delete the bloatware, other than creating the Android base on Linux. All the gapp files are located within /system directory. Since /system contains many important files, to protect users from doing harm to themselves, it makes sense to require the root priviledge inorder to manipulate the files in the directory. Root requirement is a part of Linux security philosophy, since Linux a meant to be access by multiple users. If anyone can access the system directory, well, you can see the potential danger. Now with that said, getting root is a good thing, not only can you remove the bolatwares from the device, you can also backup the device. The only way to remove the gapp files without the root is using the so call minimum gapp file instead.

    Using LG-E980 with Tapatalk
    Agree with all of that. And that makes perfect sense for apps that are really necessary for the system (installer, download manager, telephony, GPS receiver, etc). But there's no reason that Google's services apps like GMail, Maps, YouTube, etc need to be system apps.

    Don't get me wrong. I use all those apps everyday, and I understand that Android is just a gateway to Google, Google services, and your data. I'm fine with it. But I understand the perspective of those who complain.
  15. #115  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower203 View Post
    Agreed. Besides the OS itself, the only thing Google related I use in my phone is GMail and Maps. Everything else has been disabled but I'd love to be able to delete all the deadwood.
    Only Google app I use is books, I read some of those when I fly.

    I use aqua mail and here map.
    GN3, LP, TMO, BLK, 96G, 3200/9660mAh/ZTE OPEN C w FFOS 2.2
    Use Firefox Mobile for Android for enhanced security, speed, privacy, and battery.
  16. #116  
    bobcov's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    While the snarkiness wasn't necessary, I do have to disagree with you a little.

    Android is "a linux-based open source OS" built by Google which, by default, connects to Google's framework. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) I can understand the desire to run Android without Google, but I don't think it's realistic without developing your own fork like Amazon did. But that's borderline note Android anymore.



    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    I think the snarkiness was earned, deserved and was even reserved in tone. When somebody asks a question for how to do something, they're not asking us to IF they should do it or not. And so many of those reponses were wrong. You can run off-line mapping programs, you can run personal mapping supported by your own backend server, you can run your own email, etc. You do not have to worship the Gods of Google and if you don't have a clue as to why some people feel better owning their digital life, then don't ask because the concept is beyond you.
  17. #117  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by bobcov View Post
    I think the snarkiness was earned, deserved and was even reserved in tone. When somebody asks a question for how to do something, they're not asking us to IF they should do it or not. And so many of those reponses were wrong. You can run off-line mapping programs, you can run personal mapping supported by your own backend server, you can run your own email, etc. You do not have to worship the Gods of Google and if you don't have a clue as to why some people feel better owning their digital life, then don't ask because the concept is beyond you.
    Yes, you can run all those things, but if you're running them on any commercial distribution of Android (stock, Touchwiz, Sense, etc) then Google is still collecting data about you and what you're doing. Google services (not the apps, stuff like Google Play Services, Google Location Services, etc) are still running in the background sending your data to Google
  18. #118  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    I also want to remove everything Google. It is the most intrusive, annoying company on earth. They know everything about everyone and I am sick of it. Google syncs my phone numbers to my online Google email account without my knowledge, etc., etc., etc.

    I don't understand why Motorola and/or Android lets Google take over everything. Do I have to go Apple in order to dump Google completely?

    I've disabled about 3/4 of what appears to be Google crap on my MotoX but then I can't text, can't keep ANY contacts on my phone at all, can't use voice commands, can't search the Internet, etc.

    ALSO ... why is it that when viewing app information under Settings, it tells you everything conceivable about the app EXCEPT WHAT THE APP DOES??????????????????

    "Smart Phones" are the absolute dumbest invention ever.
  19. #119  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by KetchupKid View Post
    I don't understand why Motorola and/or Android lets Google take over everything.
    You do realize Android is a product of Google, right? It's like saying you don't know why Window's lets Microsoft get away with so much.

    ALSO ... why is it that when viewing app information under Settings, it tells you everything conceivable about the app EXCEPT WHAT THE APP DOES??????????????????
    Because you're supposed to read the app description in the Play store or wherever you're getting it from to see what it does BEFORE you download it. If you're concerned about privacy, hacking, or malware, checking app info from the settings isn't just the wrong place to look. By that point it's already too late and the app could have already started doing whatever damage it's going to do. Don't blame Google or anyone else for your actions of blindly downloading apps without knowing their functions and checking reviews.
    ChromeJob and Madd54 like this.
  20. #120  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by KetchupKid View Post
    Google syncs my phone numbers to my online Google email account without my knowledge, etc., etc., etc.
    Google doesn't do any of that without your knowledge unless you choose not to know it. You can know what Google does if you take a little time to find out. In the time it took you to write this rant you could have learned a lot. Instead, you choose to spend the time complaining.

    Do I have to go Apple in order to dump Google completely?
    Apple? Are we supposed to take that seriously? Please read the link below.

    I've disabled about 3/4 of what appears to be Google crap on my MotoX but then I can't text, can't keep ANY contacts on my phone at all, can't use voice commands, can't search the Internet, etc.
    Wrong. You can remove all Google stuff - although just disabling it is just as effective - and still text, still keep contacts on your phone, still search the Internet, etc - all without syncing anything to Google, sending anything to Google, or using anything Google. I don't recommend it, but it's your choice.

    "Smart Phones" are the absolute dumbest invention ever.
    The biggest problem with smartphones is smartphone users.

    As for me, I use several of Google's services extensively. Google does not pester me with ads or intrude in my life. I feel I'm definitely getting much more out of Google than Google is getting from me. It's a good deal.

    Look, I get that you're frustrated. And I kinda agree that we cannot control a lot of what information may be collected about us. I wrote a rant about that and Apple's privacy problems that you can read in the link below.

    But blaming Google and making them out to be the worst offender if our privacy is misplaced and wrong.

    Read this:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=4558832

    Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.
  21. #121  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    I don't want to attack anyone who is looking to protect their privacy. It's your data and you have the right to share it or not as you see fit.

    But the reality of the situation is that smartphone operating systems, apps, and the internet in general is built around collecting your data in exchange for providing you free services. It actually ironic that Google gets so much flack for collecting people's data simply because they are pretty honest about it and don't hide behind as much legalese. But all the other companies in the industry are collecting just as much data. That includes the competing smartphone companies, Apple and Microsoft, and all the big websites/apps like Facebook, Yahoo, Amazon, Pinterest, etc. In fact, I would consider Apple and Microsoft much worse because their terms of service give them the right to sell your data to a third party. Google explicitly states that they will never do that in their terms of service.

    Anyway, my point is that you absolutely have the right to keep your data private. But the reality of doing that means that you exclude yourself from the benefits and conveniences of the modern internet.
    Crashdamage and Madd54 like this.
  22. #122  

    Default Re: how to completely remove google from android phone

    I listen to a lot of tech podcasts, and there's a growing sense among the Apple people that Apple's services are just plain lousy compared to Android because they can't customize results.

    The new Apple News app is a good example - suggestions of what to follow are very generic and not personalized, while Google Now and other such services can give you updates on exactly what you're interested in, in real time. It's a tradeoff, bit as mentioned Google gives away enough high quality content that in willing to let them make money serving me ads.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 221
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 02:29 AM
  2. How can i read files from Android phone?
    By cdf3 in forum Acer Iconia A500
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 08:14 PM
  3. How to search for pictures on Android phone?
    By Chrisy in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 08:36 AM
  4. How to pull .apk files from rooted phone
    By tigerchant in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 08:19 PM

Posting Permissions