how to completely remove google from android phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to attack anyone who is looking to protect their privacy. It's your data and you have the right to share it or not as you see fit.

But the reality of the situation is that smartphone operating systems, apps, and the internet in general is built around collecting your data in exchange for providing you free services. It actually ironic that Google gets so much flack for collecting people's data simply because they are pretty honest about it and don't hide behind as much legalese. But all the other companies in the industry are collecting just as much data. That includes the competing smartphone companies, Apple and Microsoft, and all the big websites/apps like Facebook, Yahoo, Amazon, Pinterest, etc. In fact, I would consider Apple and Microsoft much worse because their terms of service give them the right to sell your data to a third party. Google explicitly states that they will never do that in their terms of service.

Anyway, my point is that you absolutely have the right to keep your data private. But the reality of doing that means that you exclude yourself from the benefits and conveniences of the modern internet.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I listen to a lot of tech podcasts, and there's a growing sense among the Apple people that Apple's services are just plain lousy compared to Android because they can't customize results.

The new Apple News app is a good example - suggestions of what to follow are very generic and not personalized, while Google Now and other such services can give you updates on exactly what you're interested in, in real time. It's a tradeoff, but as mentioned Google gives away enough high quality content that im willing to let them make money serving me ads.

Last edited:

halfmoonbear

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Pre-order an iPhone 5, which you could do starting yesterday. Done.[1]

You're welcome!

[1] Android phones by their nature and source are dependent upon Google online services and sites. Since you've just joined and only posted once, we have to presume you are an Android beginner, so this might not've been obvious. But to be fair, the iPhone 4S and 5 are superb phones, and if you only want "a smartphone" they're a good (and now economical) choice (IIRC the 4S is down to $99 on contract).

halfmoonbear

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Actually android is an open source operating system. It is based on the Linux operating system. The source code can be downloaded altered and compiled for any comparable device. Google does not "own"android. Your phone will operate, third party apps will run, Google Chrome will run, etc without Google services. Anything you need to do can be done from a browser. Please do not offer advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Actually android is an open source operating system. It is based on the Linux operating system. The source code can be downloaded altered and compiled for any comparable device. Google does not "own"android. Your phone will operate, third party apps will run, Google Chrome will run, etc without Google services. Anything you need to do can be done from a browser. Please do not offer advice if you don't know what you're talking about.
Everything you said is true for the Android Open Source Project. But AOSP is not what you get when you purchase a Android smartphone. You get an Android operating system which is based on AOSP, but includes all of Google services. So unless you're going to root your phone and compile and flash AOSP, that doesn't help you.

And even if you doing that, the 3rd party apps you use and websites you visit will still be collecting all your data.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Welcome, first time poster. o_O

Who are you responding to? I know very well the difference between AOSP and conventional Android releases. Do you?

The op (three years ago!) wanted to delete files in order to "stop the heartbeat." That belies a naivete about how modern digital cell phones work. They are constantly checking in with the network.... The simple answer under Android 5.0 is to turn off all syncing and use the phone as a standalone device.

Deleting files is probably going to cripple some of the OS functions, not something I'd recommend then or now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey