Automatically Play Music on Computer when phone connects via wifi

Dnomyar220

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know of a 'Tasker' like program I can use on my windows PC? I'd like to be able to have my computer recognize when my S3 connects to my router, and automatically do things, like start up Spotify. Seems like this would be pretty simple, but my searches have turned up nothing...

Dnomyar220

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This is not a pretty tool but it has the option to run exe(spotify in your case) when a device is detected on your network.

Wireless Network Watcher - Show who is connected to your wireless network

Thanks. That's actually a pretty neat tool. Unfortunately it looks like Spotify doesn't supprt any command line prompts, so I'm unable to get it to play music. It would be nice if someone made an easy to use program like "Tasker" for the PC, that I could pair with the phone. I can't believe how hard it is to do this simple stuff... Here's what I think I should be able to do:
-Walk in apartment, phone connects to wifi
-computer, in sexy female russian accent: "Welcome home, ______, let me play some music for you"
-computer starts to play Spotify playlist
-Lava lamp turns on automatically

Ok that last one is a stretch, but the rest of it should be pretty doable... I guess home automation has a long way to go

drock3322

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I searched for a program like this a few years ago and couldn't find one so I decided to write my own (despite my very limited C++/Visual Studio skills). Right now I have had it using the Ping class successfully the last few years to:
1- detect when your device connects
2- run any file (exe, pdf, m3u, etc.)

It also interfaces with WinAmp (if winamp.exe is the chosen file) to open and minimize winamp, play the music, and also stop the music when your device leaves the wi-fi network.

Other info:
-It minimizes to the system tray and also saves information (IP, file to open) in an .ini file.
-Also you can copy it and run multiple instances of the .exe to get more than one monitor/action at once.
-To get it to run on windows start I just put a shortcut in the Start Up menu.
-You could write an AutoHotKey script (which is really easy, anyone can do it) and compile that to create an .exe which does several things for you. (ie. play sexy welcome voice, wait for it to finish, open something else)

Let me know if you want me to email the program to you and maybe you can help me out with some testing/debugging. I'm working on getting it working with iTunes and Spotify. The nice thing about Winamp is that it's easy to interface with in C++ and it keeps your previously open playlist each time you open the program.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie