Can root cause game/app instability?

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!

I am quite an Android gaming geek. I rooter my Acer A510 around a month back. Before rooting, I used to have games that force closed occasionally. Now, I have certain games that regularly FC as well.

Anyway, someone mentioned to me that rooting my tablet caused the instability. I do not believe it to be the case. Anyway, I have limited knowledge on this matters, so I come here seeking an answer.

Does rooting (mind you: root alone, no custom ROMs whatsoever) cause instability among apps and games, causing them to crash more frequently than they otherwise should?

Thanks!

jaredw444

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!

I am quite an Android gaming geek. I rooter my Acer A510 around a month back. Before rooting, I used to have games that force closed occasionally. Now, I have certain games that regularly FC as well.

Anyway, someone mentioned to me that rooting my tablet caused the instability. I do not believe it to be the case. Anyway, I have limited knowledge on this matters, so I come here seeking an answer.

Does rooting (mind you: root alone, no custom ROMs whatsoever) cause instability among apps and games, causing them to crash more frequently than they otherwise should?

Thanks!

No rooting alone only gives you extra permissions on what you can do. Untill you start using those permission to change things( Roms, kernals, oc, uc) them you phone is only as good as stock, because you haven't change anything. Its most likely the games have updated causing bugs

Word of the day is " Legs" spread the word

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
No, rooting your device will have no effect whatsoever on stability. Installing a custom ROM, however, may, depending on which ROM you install.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, thanks guys. At least that's what I thought. If anyone else thinks that what's being said here is not entirely true, please do voice out.

Thanks!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Well ... that's true ... but there are some apps that will check for root and refuse to run on rooted devices. For example, my friend as an Android phone that he uses for work, and his work VPN client won't work if the phone is rooted. Similarly Google Wallet checks for root and displays an warning if you're rooted that your device is unsecured (but it still works).

So it's possible that having root could cause incompatibilities, but that's the exception, not the norm. I doubt any games would bother to do that.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Well ... that's true ... but there are some apps that will check for root and refuse to run on rooted devices. For example, my friend as an Android phone that he uses for work, and his work VPN client won't work if the phone is rooted. Similarly Google Wallet checks for root and displays an warning if you're rooted that your device is unsecured (but it still works).

So it's possible that having root could cause incompatibilities, but that's the exception, not the norm. I doubt any games would bother to do that.

That only applies if you're using a phone provided by your place of work, which has a secure environment. Your friend was almost certainly violating company policy by rooting his device. They don't want employees having access to tools available to a rooted phone that could be used to compromise the network.

Let me clarify. If you're using a phone that belongs to you, rooting will not compromise stability whatsoever.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums