Restoring App Data

Galaxy_S2

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
First, my phone info: Galaxy S2 I9100, ICS 4.0.3

My question: How do you restore app data from Google servers after a factory reset?

When I upgraded from Gingerbread to ICS, the phone warned me I would be losing all my data. Fortunately under "Settings - Back up and reset" I had checked the "Back up my data" as well as the "Automatic restore" options. When I completed the upgrade to ICS I not only automatically retained all my app data, but I didn't even have to re-download any apps. All my apps I had on Gingerbread, along with all the data, had been successfully and automatically carried over to ICS.

Recently I've been having issues with my home button. After rebooting and some other troubleshooting, I decided to factory reset my phone. Again I made sure the "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" options were checked. When I completed the factory reset it was like I just powered on my phone for the first time (OBVIOUSLY this is to be expected as I performed a Factory Reset).

Under the "Automatic restore" check box it states "When reinstalling an application, backed up settings and data will be restored". So I began to download and reinstall the apps I had before. The problem is NONE of the apps restored with the data I had backed up to Google servers. Did I do something wrong?

I'm a bit irked because I believe I received the exact same "you're going to lose your data" warning when I upgraded to ICS AND when I performed this recent factory reset. The difference is when I upgraded I got all my stuff back, so I figured after the factory reset, when I reinstalled my apps I'd get the data back too. I think it's only fair if Google really WILL restore data after an upgrade, but NOT restore data after a factory reset they should annotate that in their warning. Also maybe include a statement like, "After performing a factory reset you will not be able to retrieve app data from Google Servers. We recommend installing a third party app to save your important app data." But instead you get the same warning with two different results.

Does anyone know if I can get my data back? Google support/customer service is pretty much non-existant. You can't reach them via email, calling them does no good, and I didn't find much on their forums. If anyone can help me out it would be MUCH appreciated.

Admittedly I only had a couple of mildly important filed. The real irritation for me is two games I've been playing are now set back MONTHS if I don't get my data back. Also in the game Pirates of the Caribbean Master of the Seas, I've won contests and received prizes that you don't just get to do over again. There will be other contests in the future I'm sure but it's really quite a pain and irritation to think I may have lost everything.

Thanks all for your help :)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
First, my phone info: Galaxy S2 I9100, ICS 4.0.3

My question: How do you restore app data from Google servers after a factory reset?

When I upgraded from Gingerbread to ICS, the phone warned me I would be losing all my data. Fortunately under "Settings - Back up and reset" I had checked the "Back up my data" as well as the "Automatic restore" options. When I completed the upgrade to ICS I not only automatically retained all my app data, but I didn't even have to re-download any apps. All my apps I had on Gingerbread, along with all the data, had been successfully and automatically carried over to ICS.

Recently I've been having issues with my home button. After rebooting and some other troubleshooting, I decided to factory reset my phone. Again I made sure the "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" options were checked. When I completed the factory reset it was like I just powered on my phone for the first time (OBVIOUSLY this is to be expected as I performed a Factory Reset).

Under the "Automatic restore" check box it states "When reinstalling an application, backed up settings and data will be restored". So I began to download and reinstall the apps I had before. The problem is NONE of the apps restored with the data I had backed up to Google servers. Did I do something wrong?

I'm a bit irked because I believe I received the exact same "you're going to lose your data" warning when I upgraded to ICS AND when I performed this recent factory reset. The difference is when I upgraded I got all my stuff back, so I figured after the factory reset, when I reinstalled my apps I'd get the data back too. I think it's only fair if Google really WILL restore data after an upgrade, but NOT restore data after a factory reset they should annotate that in their warning. Also maybe include a statement like, "After performing a factory reset you will not be able to retrieve app data from Google Servers. We recommend installing a third party app to save your important app data." But instead you get the same warning with two different results.

Does anyone know if I can get my data back? Google support/customer service is pretty much non-existant. You can't reach them via email, calling them does no good, and I didn't find much on their forums. If anyone can help me out it would be MUCH appreciated.

Admittedly I only had a couple of mildly important filed. The real irritation for me is two games I've been playing are now set back MONTHS if I don't get my data back. Also in the game Pirates of the Caribbean Master of the Seas, I've won contests and received prizes that you don't just get to do over again. There will be other contests in the future I'm sure but it's really quite a pain and irritation to think I may have lost everything.

Thanks all for your help :)

So there are a couple of things to address here.

First, Google doesn't store all your app data on there servers. They do store some data for some of the Google apps, and that what "Back up my data" option is referring to (in addition to wifi info and some settings), but this doesn't include any data for any third party apps (which is almost everything). I will blame Android for this part because the description of this setting should be more clear and specific. The way it's worded now is definitely confusing and borderline misleading.

Second, When you upgraded from GB to ICS you got a screen that said you would not loose any data. That's always the case with OTA updates. I hate to "blame the victim", but I can only assume that you misread that screen. Unfortunately that bit of misinformation contributed to this situation in making you think that a factory reset would behave the same as the OTA update.

Unfortunately the result is that you can't get your data back because it's not stored on Google servers. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

There currently no way to backup app data for all your apps without rooting. (It can be done with some root-required apps.) I think it would be a HUGE upgrade if Google came up with a app data backup and sync system. It could be a big differentiator from their competitors.

Galaxy_S2

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate your response. I definitely could have misread the text when upgrading to ICS (I tend to read fast & sometimes miss things) so I really don't feel bad when you "blame the victim". If I mess up I mess up right? :)

As far as settings the only thing that "carried" over was Gmail contacts (I still had to sync them though). None of my other Google app settings (Youtube, Translate, Google+, Google Drive, My Tracks, Google Earth, Play Store, etc...) carried over. It was like I opened them for the first time. But again, I did factory reset :)

I also didn't retain any wi-fi settings or any other system settings. I'm thinking now that the "backup" is if you uninstall and then reinstall an app without doing a full factory reset. The backup files must get reset when you perform a factory reset. It would be nice if they gave you the option to either restore settings or start from scratch though right?

Anyway I guess the next step is if you have any recommendations for apps that will allow me to back up my apps. Never got into rooting my phone before but I guess I'll be searching the forums. Thanks again for your help.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you do your research before you decide to root. If you do decide to root, Titanium Backup is THE app for backing up and restoring app data. (It can actually do a lot of other useful things too, but application data backup is the most common use.)

There's a really good post on how to backup and restore your app with Titanium Backup in the Verizon GNex forum (but would apply to any phone). I reply with a link when I'm in front of a computer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Galaxy_S2

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate all your help. I have the link bookmarked and will definitely check it out in depth when I root my phone. Thanks again :)

Fendero Rede

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Google should be more clear about this. I lost a good amount of sms texts and data when my android just bricked itself out. No root. Just endless pop up warnings like "the location.whatever service just stopped". Totally effing useless pop ups that Google somehow thinks it's cool to inform us. Lost all my data. And, no way to restore. Apple restores everything on their iPhone. Sigh.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey