Android AAC streaming sounds artifacts

chrisp6825

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I stream music from Pandora and an app for local radio (tune in) quite a bit. But I've noticed a very annoying clicking/popping sound while listening. I've tried adjusting the stream quality in Pandora and the buffer amount in tune-in to no avail.

Tune-in has an option to change the current stream for the station if available (in my case aac to wma) and wma does not have the clicking sounds. My best guess is that Pandora uses aac to stream music.

Has anyone had similar problems with aac streaming or in general?

On a bionic ics leak 232 aokp rom.

Sent from my XT875 using Android Central Forums

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Could be the volume of the phone is too high? I know when playing lower bit rate audio, it is more prone to clipping at high volumes. Without hearing your phone, I'm just kinda guessing with this. If you are listening to headphones or using the aux jack to feed to external speakers, the Bionic is prone to getting pocket lint in the jack. It can make a popping sound when moving the jack plug around, or prevent the connection all together.

chrisp6825

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
This is actually present in every output, internal speakers, headphones, aux.. and at every volume level. Equalizers don't seem to help at all either. Plus, my roommates Xperia play has the same issues in Pandora.

This is partially why I am starting to point to aac playback/streaming.
If anyone has any other streaming apps that use aac, I'd love to try it in order to pinpoint this problem further. I'd also even like to try any non-aac streams as well.

Sent from my XT875 using Android Central Forums

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Did you also have this problem when you were on the stock rom? I'm also on a Bionic, running the standard 232 leak and listen to Pandora and another aac audio podcast. I've never had the popping issue.

One other thing you may want to check is the audio effects settings. If it's set to something like extreme bass, it may be just too much for the phone to handle. I kinda doubt that's it because you would hear something more akin to distortion to the beat, but it's all I can think of.