Updating a rooted phone

krowknown

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I have never had a smart phone before and ill be getting on to the next 1 to 3 days its a Virgin Mobile chaser. and im planning to root it. (the question) whenever i root the phone , how should i update the phone , the apps , widgets , and ect?

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the not so smartphone world lol. What phone will you be getting?

Anyways. Rooting your phone does void the warranty . But people here can help you in brick your device.

Your answer. updating ROMs is your choice. You can run a custom ROM for a few months and decided you want Something different or update the current ROM. Updating or changing ROMs is how I mentioned above. You don't always have to make a back up. But if you are using a ROM for awhile make a back up. The developers work really hard and fast once the official update leaks. So I normally stick with Two ROMs. You will hear the terms * kang , official, unofficial, port, kernel, aokp, cm10, dirty flash*

I get my ROMs from rootzwiki. *always make a back Up of the current state of the phone before flashing or wiping * you have to boot into recovery.. back up the rom. Then wipe cache and data... next locate the file and Just download the ROM on your phone (along with Google apps) (you will learn more about that once you plan to root) (custom recovery). Always make a backup !!! Just in case something gets borked. You will have something to fall back on. I'm not going to get deep into rooting. I'll just answer your questions.

The apps and widgets all will be backed up on your Google account. So whenever you change ROMs all your apps will be there downloading. *just the app not the data * ( progress in a game will be deleted . Also in app purchases) I use titanium backup. You can back up the app and the data.

Side note : try to avoid ROM manager. Its easier to do it your self. Once again you will learn all this stuff.

Last edited:

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central

Congrats on the 1st smartphone, and I'm glad that you picked Android.

I do have a question. Why do you want/need to root? I just ask because often people plan to root just because they think they should, but they don't really need to root for anything they want to do. I'm not trying to discourage you; I just want you to make the right decision for you.

Apps and widgets will update through the Play Store just the same as if you're not rooted. Nothing special to consider there.

Regarding updating the phone's firmware, normally (i.e. for people that aren't rooted) that happens via over the air (OTA) updates. If you root but say with the stock software, then you may still get OTA update notifications. Don't accept any OTA updates if you're rooted. If you do you'll probably loose root and maybe have other problems. Shortly after the OTA comes out some developer will make a rooted flashable version that you'll need to install manually.

If you root and flash a custom ROM then you won't get OTA notifications. The developer that built your ROM will periodically release updates that you'll have to install manually.

Most importantly, before you root, do your research. Don't just follow some instructions that you find online. Instead really learn what you're doing. It will help you avoid problems, make everything easier, and make other people more willing to help when you do have questions.

Sidenote: This probably should be posted in a different forum, maybe "General Help and How To". Not a big deal; I understand that you're new. Just pointing it out so you know next time.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Rooting the device will not change anything other than root access. If you are simply rooting and don't install a custom ROM then you will be able to update the phone via the phone settings (provided an update is available). Be advised that you may lose root if you accept an update.

Apps, widgets, games, etc. are still updated through the play store as an unrooted phone would. This still applies for a phone with a custom ROM. Welcome to the community and feel free to poke around/ask questions if you have any :).

desertandroid

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Rooting the device will not change anything other than root access. If you are simply rooting and don't install a custom ROM then you will be able to update the phone via the phone settings (provided an update is available). Be advised that you may lose root if you accept an update.

Apps, widgets, games, etc. are still updated through the play store as an unrooted phone would. This still applies for a phone with a custom ROM. Welcome to the community and feel free to poke around/ask questions if you have any :).

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

This is all great advice provided the means necessary to root don't require you to load up a custom ROM (even a complete stock based version) to obtain root. This is becoming less common but some devices have required you do install a custom OS along with recovery and such to establish & maintain root access.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1