Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Porting to Google Voice: a good idea?

    I've heard that porting one's number to Google Voice might be a good idea if you are considering the change of carriers. Also, we're with Straight Talk on the AT&T network and I've read that they can cancel your account if you exceed some amount of data usage. If that were to happen you would lose your number. My question is how would the phone work if your number were ported to Google Voice? I believe that incoming calls would be forwarded from Google Voice to your phone, but what about outgoing calls? Does the recipient see your actual phone's number or the Google Voice number? Also, do things like MMS work if the messages are passing through Google Voice? Also, does Google Voice use VOIP in which case call quality could be affected by the internet?
    Pete
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Porting to Google Voice: a good idea?

    This may end up being confusing. The only true "integration" with Google Voice is from Sprint. That's what I used to have (before I switched to Verizon) and it worked awesome. You just ported your Sprint Number to Google Voice and it all worked great (you didn't need a separate phone number for each).

    So if it's not Sprint, this is how Google Voice will work if you want to use it for calls.
    • You will have one number for your phone (your "Real" number), and one number for Google Voice (your "GV" number).
    • When you set it up on your phone, you can choose to always, never, or prompt on each call to use Google Voice to make calls.
    • If you choose to use Google Voice to make a call, it makes a short data connection to Google, and basically Google Voice initiates the call, then connects your phone to it. It requires a data connection for that initial "handshake" on a call, but then uses the regular cellular airwaves (so it's not VOIP).
    • if you choose to use Google Voice to make a call, your GV number will show on the recipients side.
    • If you don't use Voice to make the call your "Real" number shows on the recipients side.
    • No matter what you do, if you don't use the Voice app to text, your "Real" number shows on the recipients side since it's coming from the phone and not through GV. The only way to have your GV number show up for the recipient is to use the GV app to text.


    So with that being said, if you can live with the above, GV has a ton of benefits, such as call blocking, groups, customized voicemails for different recipients, forwarding phone calls to other phones (like how if one of my kid's friends call, I could forward it to my wife's phone and mine never rings), etc.

    But I couldn't live with the above, due to texting and having to have the data connection to initiate a call and the concern that my unknown number (my "real" number) would show up on the recipient's phone and not my GV number (that everyone knows). I really wanted my GV number to be the number I've used for years and my "real" number to be hidden, but I couldn't really get it to work reliably due to the above (and I wanted to use Go SMS for texting and not the GV app).

    So what I did was I kept the "Real" number on my phone (that I've had for years), but I use GV for voicemail, which gives me all the benefits of the voicemail functionality (different messages for different callers and the voice-to-text transcription of voicemail). That's easy to set up, as you just need a separate GV number (which is free) and then when you install the app on the phone, it just prompts you if you want to use GV for your voicemail. I just don't get the additional benefits with call blocking and forwarding and stuff, which is disappointing.

    it's not ideal, but that's what I have done with Verizon. If you are going to Sprint though, that integration is AWESOME, and alleviates all the concerns above. There is no reason to not use GV for Sprint, since your "real" number and the GV number are the same, so there's no issues with any of it. Don't even need the data connection to initiate the call. There were rumblings Verizon was going to get this, but that was well over a year ago now and I haven't heard anything about it.
    Thanked by 2:
  3. #3  
    Niko68's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

    Default Re: Porting to Google Voice: a good idea?

    I am working on VoIP CRM call recording and I am testing an example provided by the Ozeki VoIP SIP SDK.
    Datasheet manipulation can be done during the actual calls or after the call and it can be done both manually and automatically. The CRM implementations can manipulate some automatically gained caller data like the caller SIP account or alias. This information can be put on the datasheets automatically.
    The customer datasheets can be used in later customer calls by the company employees for having all the previously gained information about the history of the customer.
    Ozeki VoIP SIP SDK provides the support for getting information about the incoming calls that can be stored on datasheets. The actual implementation depends on your company's business logic but the professional background is provided by Ozeki VoIP SIP SDK.
    You can read more about the topic here:


    Bye,
    Niko
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Porting to Google Voice: a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    This may end up being confusing. The only true "integration" with Google Voice is from Sprint. That's what I used to have (before I switched to Verizon) and it worked awesome. You just ported your Sprint Number to Google Voice and it all worked great (you didn't need a separate phone number for each).

    So if it's not Sprint, this is how Google Voice will work if you want to use it for calls.
    • You will have one number for your phone (your "Real" number), and one number for Google Voice (your "GV" number).
    • When you set it up on your phone, you can choose to always, never, or prompt on each call to use Google Voice to make calls.
    • If you choose to use Google Voice to make a call, it makes a short data connection to Google, and basically Google Voice initiates the call, then connects your phone to it. It requires a data connection for that initial "handshake" on a call, but then uses the regular cellular airwaves (so it's not VOIP).
    • if you choose to use Google Voice to make a call, your GV number will show on the recipients side.
    • If you don't use Voice to make the call your "Real" number shows on the recipients side.
    • No matter what you do, if you don't use the Voice app to text, your "Real" number shows on the recipients side since it's coming from the phone and not through GV. The only way to have your GV number show up for the recipient is to use the GV app to text.


    So with that being said, if you can live with the above, GV has a ton of benefits, such as call blocking, groups, customized voicemails for different recipients, forwarding phone calls to other phones (like how if one of my kid's friends call, I could forward it to my wife's phone and mine never rings), etc.

    But I couldn't live with the above, due to texting and having to have the data connection to initiate a call and the concern that my unknown number (my "real" number) would show up on the recipient's phone and not my GV number (that everyone knows). I really wanted my GV number to be the number I've used for years and my "real" number to be hidden, but I couldn't really get it to work reliably due to the above (and I wanted to use Go SMS for texting and not the GV app).

    So what I did was I kept the "Real" number on my phone (that I've had for years), but I use GV for voicemail, which gives me all the benefits of the voicemail functionality (different messages for different callers and the voice-to-text transcription of voicemail). That's easy to set up, as you just need a separate GV number (which is free) and then when you install the app on the phone, it just prompts you if you want to use GV for your voicemail. I just don't get the additional benefits with call blocking and forwarding and stuff, which is disappointing.

    it's not ideal, but that's what I have done with Verizon. If you are going to Sprint though, that integration is AWESOME, and alleviates all the concerns above. There is no reason to not use GV for Sprint, since your "real" number and the GV number are the same, so there's no issues with any of it. Don't even need the data connection to initiate the call. There were rumblings Verizon was going to get this, but that was well over a year ago now and I haven't heard anything about it.
    Thanks. Great write-up. I'll be doing the same as you; that is using GV for voicemail, but keeping my real number on the phone. I also use Go SMS Pro and want to keep that since I do group SMS/MMS with iPhones. Thanks again
    Pete
  5. #5  
    copticwalad's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 with NS4G Radio

    Default Re: Porting to Google Voice: a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    [*]If you choose to use Google Voice to make a call, it makes a short data connection to Google, and basically Google Voice initiates the call, then connects your phone to it. It requires a data connection for that initial "handshake" on a call, but then uses the regular cellular airwaves (so it's not VOIP).[*]if you choose to use Google Voice to make a call, your GV number will show on the recipients side.[*]If you don't use Voice to make the call your "Real" number shows on the recipients side.[*]No matter what you do, if you don't use the Voice app to text, your "Real" number shows on the recipients side since it's coming from the phone and not through GV. The only way to have your GV number show up for the recipient is to use the GV app to text.
    I'm currently with Sprint and my contract just finished. I've been using Sprint Integration with GVoice for over a year now and I can't live without it. I actually like the Google Voice app for texts because it will stay in sync with text messages I make from my Google Chrome Browser Extension (which is awesome for 1 click find contact then text from your #). However Sprint's LTE coverage isn't hitting Cleveland over the next 12 months it seems and even though I dislike Verizon's 'attitude' with pricing and customer support, I really want great LTE Coverage and I'm really considering it despite losing truly Unlimited (I'm usually on wifi anyways) and Google Voice Integration is the biggest thing stopping me. So a few questions to clarify further. From my research my understanding is that theoretically without GVoice App to call a person from your Google Voice number (which I'd port over from Sprint and get new # from Verizon that I want hidden), you would have to call GVoice, then dial the number you want. So I'm assuming that the GVoice app does that and I'm curious if it takes noticeably longer or if you hear like a ring.. then 3-way-call initiated. Try doing it with Gvoice for outbound calls and then without and timing it if possible.
    2. Next, Would I be able to still use the native dialer completely and call from Google Now results, etc.. and the receiving caller always see my Google Voice # every time?
    I know MMS is a disadvantage and what I notice right now with Sprint GVoice integration is that I still can receive MMS, but I just have to check the stock Messaging App (instead of GVoice).. so I tell people to let me know if they're sending an mms so I know to check it. However outside of MMS a big advantage is that I wouldn't need the Verizon text messaging plan because it uses data and I've even read people will block it just in case.
    3. Lastly, I discovered an amazing feature with Google Voice integration and that's native International Calling ... I can basically dial a number (for example to Egypt) and it immediately tells me the calling rate (which is Indeed the Google Voice rates) and it works perfectly. I want to make sure I have that feature, otherwise I'd have to call GVoice, then push 2, then the number. Btw, we get unlimited calls to Canada this way, and other countries really have ridiculously cheap rates, I was surprised. No Sprint fees after using this for a few months.

    I'm looking to get the Galaxy Note II and if it weren't for Sprint's abysmal 3G Speeds and awful signal by my church I would stick with Sprint. Ironic cause we technically roam on Verizon's network, but I notice any phone would prefer 1 bar on sprint network over 5 bars roaming on verizon's network. I haven't had much luck with 'Roam Control' and I am somewhat considering forcing the PRL to roam.

    I almost forgot, I got a free Femtocell from Sprint which is awesome for boosting my signal in my home, anyone manage to get one from Verizon and bypass monthly fee's?

    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by copticwalad; 10-08-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Grammar
  6. #6  
    castroyy's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default Re: Porting to Google Voice: a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by copticwalad View Post
    I'm currently with Sprint and my contract just finished. I've been using Sprint Integration with GVoice for over a year now and I can't live without it. I actually like the Google Voice app for texts because it will stay in sync with text messages I make from my Google Chrome Browser Extension (which is awesome for 1 click find contact then text from your #). However Sprint's LTE coverage isn't hitting Cleveland over the next 12 months it seems and even though I dislike Verizon's 'attitude' with pricing and customer support, I really want great LTE Coverage and I'm really considering it despite losing truly Unlimited (I'm usually on wifi anyways) and Google Voice Integration is the biggest thing stopping me. So a few questions to clarify further. From my research my understanding is that theoretically without GVoice App to call a person from your Google Voice number (which I'd port over from Sprint and get new # from Verizon that I want hidden), you would have to call GVoice, then dial the number you want. So I'm assuming that the GVoice app does that and I'm curious if it takes noticeably longer or if you hear like a ring.. then 3-way-call initiated. Try doing it with Gvoice for outbound calls and then without and timing it if possible.
    2. Next, Would I be able to still use the native dialer completely and call from Google Now results, etc.. and the receiving caller always see my Google Voice # every time?
    I know MMS is a disadvantage and what I notice right now with Sprint GVoice integration is that I still can receive MMS, but I just have to check the stock Messaging App (instead of GVoice).. so I tell people to let me know if they're sending an mms so I know to check it. However outside of MMS a big advantage is that I wouldn't need the Verizon text messaging plan because it uses data and I've even read people will block it just in case.
    3. Lastly, I discovered an amazing feature with Google Voice integration and that's native International Calling ... I can basically dial a number (for example to Egypt) and it immediately tells me the calling rate (which is Indeed the Google Voice rates) and it works perfectly. I want to make sure I have that feature, otherwise I'd have to call GVoice, then push 2, then the number. Btw, we get unlimited calls to Canada this way, and other countries really have ridiculously cheap rates, I was surprised. No Sprint fees after using this for a few months.

    I'm looking to get the Galaxy Note II and if it weren't for Sprint's abysmal 3G Speeds and awful signal by my church I would stick with Sprint. Ironic cause we technically roam on Verizon's network, but I notice any phone would prefer 1 bar on sprint network over 5 bars roaming on verizon's network. I haven't had much luck with 'Roam Control' and I am somewhat considering forcing the PRL to roam.

    I almost forgot, I got a free Femtocell from Sprint which is awesome for boosting my signal in my home, anyone manage to get one from Verizon and bypass monthly fee's?

    Thanks in advance

    Coptic - I am about 20-30 minutes east of Cleveland and I am currently with Verizon. Verizon is by far the best provider in my area however it doesn't work inside of my house with my Android. It is terrible coverage however my wife's IPhone works just fine. She made several calls on my behalf and finally they sent us a Free Samsung Network Extender. The problem with the booster is that I put it where my Home Cable internet comes into the house which is in my basement and on the FAR side of my house so it doesn't do me much good. What I need to do is move it upstairs where it's needed however I haven't gotten around to it yet! My Friend has one as well and without it he would have NO signal at his house!

    On another note... I will be buying the N4 next week and I will be trying out T-Mobile first. I have high hopes that it will work by me however I am in a rural area and they don't have much coverage by past my house! I have a BB through work that uses AT&T and that works great out by me so if T-Mobile fails I will give them a shot. Luckily Verizon is letting me out of my contract due to bad service at my home! They even came out and tested a few times! Go figure.... I never had a problem until my G-Nex and I have tried many radios!
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Porting to Google Voice: a good idea?

    does porting my verizon number to GV mean i'm canceling my Verizon contract?
  8. #8  
    copticwalad's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 with NS4G Radio

    Default Re: Porting to Google Voice: a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doaquin Mosley View Post
    does porting my verizon number to GV mean i'm canceling my Verizon contract?
    Pretty much, which is why it's ideal to do after your contract finishes. I talked to Sprint about how this works and it's weird, and imagine it's similar to other carriers. Basically if I tell Google Voice to port my number from Sprint, they will port it over in 2 - 4 days, and once it's complete I will need to add a forwarding phone again. If you're on a contract, the carrier will see it as being terminated and you'll probably get charged for it.
    I'm currently off my contract and Sprint told me the number will port over to Google Voice, and my current phone will stay showing under my Sprint Account but won't have service because there's no number assigned to it. You then need to tell them if you want a new number, or I think after 14 days it won't show anymore.

    In my case I will be porting my real Sprint Number to GVoice (so it's permanently there and not dependent on Sprint), and still integrating it with Sprint. I learned that as long as you have Android and the GVoice App for texting and phone calls, your GVoice number will always show on recipients and they never have to see your NonGVoice number. However, my understanding of carriers other than Sprint is it needs like 1-3 seconds to do a data connection to tell GoogleVoice to call u and then it uses the Voice Connection. Anyways I have Employee discounts and a Sprint Femtocell with free monthly plan and didn't want to lose that. If I leave Sprint, I have to return that Airvana femtocell or get charged $200. I'm off contract and will port my number to GVoice first, and immediately after will add a new line to my current account for a new Sprint Number and phone (Amazon Wireless has great deals). Sprint told me that as long as I added a line or got a new number within 14 days of my number Porting out, that my account will stay intact and I can keep the AirVana and employee discounts. The awesome thing tho with GVoice is I can set it to forward to a prepaid phone until my new phone arrives along with home phone, the flexibility is incredible. Afterwards will set it to forward to my new Sprint # and I'd be set.

Similar Threads

  1. Porting number away from Tmobile PPD to Googl Voice
    By evperry in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 10:52 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 08:51 PM
  3. porting my cell # to google voice
    By funruiner in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 03:25 PM
  4. Anybody porting to Google Voice?
    By cq in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 11:51 AM
  5. Porting # to Google Voice??
    By Baconator in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

B