GoSMS Pro and MMS Group Chat

cdfox

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I recently installed GoSMS Pro on my Samsung Epic 4G (with Cyanogenmod 10 installed) in order to do MMS group chat with some friends of mine that have iPhones. It works really well except for one thing. Every time one of them sends a message in the group chat, I get TWO notifications. The phone rings twice, it vibrates twice, for every single message. It's very annoying! What seems to be happening is that it recognizes I'm getting a text message from one of them and puts it in its own thread before realizing that it's part of a group chat and moving it into the group thread. I get two notifications as a result. Is there some sort of way to fix this little bug or work around it? I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure it out. Thanks!

Oh and before someone mentions it, the problem isn't with cyanogenmod; I installed GoSMS on the phone's stock OS before I re-flashed it, and I was having the same problem before.

SellnCLT85

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
When you set up GoSMS you have to disable the native message app. I believe the way to do it is to open the app then go to >settings>advanced>notifications>check the box to disable the native message app.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

cdfox

May 6, 2011
Visit site
No, it's not the native messaging app either. That is disabled. Again, this only happens with MMS group texts, not regular texts.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have seen this issue in another thread, I would email the developer and ask. Then post the response for others who are having the same issue. It may just be the way the app handles the message delivery to two different threads. Good luck! :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

cdfox

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I found a workaround...sort of. I went to settings -> advanced -> individual settings -> notification -> add -> selected the people in my ongoing group chat, and disabled vibration and ringtone for those individuals. Now whenever one of them sends me a message in the group chat, I don't get an audio or vibration notification until it is moved into the group thread. The downside seems to be that if one of them sends me a message individually, I won't get an audio or vibration notification. :( I do still get a notification in the top toolbar though...oh well...good enough for government work, I suppose.

yoshimail

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's just the way GoSMS Pro works with MMS in general. I get the two notifications with either group MMS messages and picture mail MMS. When I installed handcent the other day, I saw in the app settings about a feature that "silences" MMS message headers (undownloaded MMSs). I like GoSMS better anyway. I could see this being helpful to get away with this annoyance, but then if you have your data off and you receive for example a group mms while your phone is in your pocket or purse then you would probably miss the notification and not notice you received a group MMS message in real time until you happen to turn on the phone and open the app. I think the header MMS notification is a necessary evil :(

cdfox

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have since switched to Verizon, who has their own separate messaging app in the play store that handles group mms beautifully.

GroupChatLG

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a quick question. I have an LG Optimus Elite OS 2.3 and the SMS Pro Group chat will not work. The replies come back in separate threads, and not grouped. It seems like some phones with SMS Pro are able to do the group chat, and some can't. I am trying to figure out if it is the version OS that I have that is not allowing it to work or something else? Are you on 4.0? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yoshimail

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I was able to perform MMS group chat on both gingerbread and now on ICS on my LG Viper 4G LTE. Make sure you have the option selected on the settings.
On the Go SMS Pro app, tap the menu hardware button > tap on settings > Make sure you are on the "Advanced tab" and tap on it > tap on "send settings" > Make sure there is a checkmark on "MMS group Chat". On my Sprint 4G LTE handset the MMS group chat works fine while I am connected on a 3G network. Still can't figure how to make them work on a 4G network yet but hopefully this can help you out.

debgabe88

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
In advanced settings there is a section called important tips. Stock SMS uninstalled? section allows you to uncheck if you are getting duplicate messages. However this is due to the stock message system being loaded - so it might not solve your issue, but it might be worth a try.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay