Need help... asap... YouTube not working on Wifi on Nexus 7 and iPhone 4

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Need help... asap... Youtube not working on WIfi on Nexus 7 and Iphone 4

This is a Router / AP issue especially if your device works on another WiFi Router/AP

FYI: That cell phones, iPhones, tablets use a generic "N" chip for WiFi (cheap version chip) & only run on the 2.4 MHz band

● Try rebooting your Router/AP (shut it off via power supply for a few minutes & then plug it back in.
● If you changed or altered your Router/AP settings put them back to where they where or back to stock & start again
● Verify which WiFi Encryption method is compatible with your device
● Make sure your not running your Router / AP on dual band or 40 mHz because you will get a
Wifi signal, it won't work and it is usually not compatible for use with these devices.

● So I would check your Router/ AP settings especially if your WiFi, use basic settings with password & compatible encryption

This issue would not have anything to do with your ISP, it is a Router / AP setting issue

Hope that helps

codysanbor

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

This is a Router / AP issue especially if your device works on another WiFi Router/AP

FYI: That cell phones, iPhones, tablets use a generic "N" chip for WiFi (cheap version chip) & only run on the 2.4 MHz band

● Try rebooting your Router/AP (shut it off via power supply for a few minutes & then plug it back in.
● If you changed or altered your Router/AP settings put them back to where they where or back to stock & start again
● Make sure your not running your Router / AP on dual band or 40 mHz because you will get a
Wifi signal, it won't work and it is usually not compatible for use with these devices.

● So I would check your Router/ AP settings especially if your WiFi, use basic settings with password & compatible encryption

This issue would not have anything to do with your ISP, it is a Router / AP setting issue

Hope that helps

So what settings should I use?

codysanbor

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

I reset my router and made it open no password default settings and still doesn't work.

So i believe it's a Google thing

mscfl

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Hope that helps

I appreciate the help, but I don't see how this can be the issue. I could see it being a conflict between Youtube and certain routers and ISPs. Mine was working up until the 1st and NO changes have been made to any of my router or modem settings. It would have to be something that changed on Youtube's end right? Unless all of our various ISPs changed some setting,,,,

rkcfan

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I haven't changed anything on my end either. YouTube will play in the browser but not in the mobile site.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

codysanbor

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Need help... asap... Youtube not working on WIfi on Nexus 7 and Iphone 4

I haven't changed anything on my end either. YouTube will play in the browser but not in the mobile site.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

My nexus doesn't have flash so I can't check that

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

Hope that helps

I appreciate you trying to help, but that's just not true. YouTube worked fine for me up until a few days ago. It doesn't work on my default settings router that I reset 3 times, nor does it work on my work wifi which is a different brand of router. I've tried everything I can think of (I'm a computer repair tech) and I have come up empty. It has to be YouTube's fault.

Aegeis

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I am the IT director for a school district here in CT. Youtube works fine on our laptops and desktops connected to our fiber-Internet connection. We have a wifi router connected to a cable modem from Metrocast of CT for vendors to access the Internet... laptops used to access Youtube on it work fine, mobile devices like iPhones, iPod Touch and the Nexus 7 fail continuously. Metrocast blames in on Google changing something.

Just curious how many other people are having this same problem, have Metrocast, and are using a wireless B/G (not N) router...

Quickest fix: Change the DNS server setting on your device to 8.8.8.8 which is Google's DNS server.

Last edited:

cja1782

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

I have metrocast in Va king George county and I'm having the issue still. I went to another wifi and it works. The people from metrocast came out and the tech said he's having the same issue at his home with his daughters ipod with YouTube while on wifi. I they are monitoring my line to see what they can discover.

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

So it's metrocast? Grr. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

codysanbor

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

I have metrocast in Va king George county and I'm having the issue still. I went to another wifi and it works. The people from metrocast came out and the tech said he's having the same issue at his home with his daughters ipod with YouTube while on wifi. I they are monitoring my line to see what they can discover.

Ah I'm in colonial beach va! Close to me

codysanbor

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

How do you change Dns server...

Amd Metrocast sucks

Lawndawg

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Found this thread because I'm having the same issue. Using dlink 655 and all the sudden youtube stopped working on all wifi devices except wife's laptop. N7 and two iphones. Work fine on bro-law's wifi. Very frustrating. Have reset router and modem. Also on metrofail but so in my bro-law. Tried to mess with anti-virus(avg) but no luck with it either.

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

So I changed my DNS to Google's. All is well now. Change your primary to 8.8.8.8 and your secondary to 8.8.4.4 in your Router settings. Weird. Thanks for the tip.

codysanbor

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

So I changed my DNS to Google's. All is well now. Change your primary to 8.8.8.8 and your secondary to 8.8.4.4 in your Router settings. Weird. Thanks for the tip.

I have a net gear something nv200 or 300.

Why do I set it to that? Just curious

codysanbor

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

I will let you all know if this works in am when i get off work around 7:30

juggy4805

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

I had the same problem on an Ipad, two IPhones, and a Xoom. Changing the DNS settings to Google's fixed the problem. I also have Metrocast in Maryland.

booyamachine

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Also on Metrocast & also in NH and having these same issues on 2 iphones and an ipad
I know this is an Android forum, but I just wanted to thank you guys for the fix, I'll be trying the DNS change when I get home from work today.

I really wish there was another option for internet service around here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781