1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cheapest/Best solution to fix a cracked screen(functional otherwise)

Hello All. I went through a few threads here And then other places on the web and they didn't help really all, so here it goes I guess:

I have VZW Samsung Fascinate that has been sitting in my drawer. It has a pretty badly cracked screen, that's the big problem. What's funny about it is the on screen capacitive buttons still light and appear to be responding to touch by sounds I'm hearing when I press the buttons. It also seems to be vibrating to certain touches as its suppose to. So it appears to be functioning the way it suppose to other than the cracked screen which keeps.me from seeing anything. The biggest damage to the screen is near/underneath the ear piece.I have a few pics but I don't know of a way to post them from being on the mobile website. I will definitely post them later if needed. It also seems to be charging as well.

OK so i have this phone that I'm instersted in getting the screen repaired. I've never had this issue with a phone before but i would be willing to do it myself. But what I would Like to know is how to find out what exactly I need and where to get it for the best price.

From what I understand, there is the screen, the digitizer, and the LCD. I was trying to be specific as possible so I will know exactly what I need and don't need to buy. I'm trying to spend as less as possible, some of the things I've looked at were around 80, and tbh I don't want to put that much into this project. What makes this so expensive? Especially given the phone is quite old now.
    Like I said I don't know enough about this exact thing but hopefully someone out there will know more than me and lead me in the right way. If I didn't give enough info, please let me know this

Also I hope I posted this in the right section. If not I'm sorry and please move it.

I do have pics I can post asap if needed.

Thank you all for your time. If you need anything from me I'll be checking all through today.

Default Re: Cheapest/Best solution to fix a cracked screen(functional otherwise)

My quick opinion:

Even if your technically capable of dismantling your phone, the parts may not even be available anymore,
    you could probably pick up another or even better phone for less than $80- on Craigslist then just
    transfer your ESN to it. Just be sure the ESN is clean, meet any seller at a Verizon store just so
    they can verify the bill is paid & the ESN is clean.

my 0.02

Hope it may help

•» Tip: Never rush to download any APP "Updates", read the feedback for a few days so that you can see if other people are having issues with it and/or changes to permissions or other you may not want! Always use a Back Up APP!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    •» Free DropBox! Back up to & Sync your Phone to your Computer Free! Always have your stuff when you need it with @ Dropbox . 2GB Plus account is Free! Plus earn up to 500 Mb's for each referral! Up to 32GB Free! http://db.tt/szmjeyX
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Cheapest/Best solution to fix a cracked screen(functional otherwise)

Hello Cell.

Thanks for the reply. I think your prob right if it was main phone. Since I just had it sitting around, I figured I would try to get it working as maybe a 2nd screw around phone, or something like that.

And yeah there is a bunch of LCD/digitizer packs on eBay and a few other places, I just don't know for sure what I need to replace. See the screen is all spiderwebbed and cracked yet the capacitive buttons still light up and respond to touch So what I can't be sure of is if the still functioning touch screen makes a difference in what I need to buy.

ROM
    Harmonia 2

Have you checked eBay for the parts. Most of the time (although I have not looked for your phone) you can find the whole assembly for under 40 with the opening kit. That's where I go when I need any parts, eBay.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Locoo

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I been looking, if I could find for under 40 I d be cool with that, but I'm not seeing that just yet.

Hey do you happen to know whether it would matter if my touch screen still functioned? The screen is all cracked/spider webbed and I can't see anything but the buttons still work like they should. They still light up. Still respond to. Touch. Would this matter or would I have still have to buy the whole pack rather than just glass screen( if poss)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Hey here are 2 pics of the damage screen. Hope this helps In giving me advice.

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheapest/Best solution to fix a cracked screen(functional otherwise)-uploadfromtaptalk1349642850643.jpg   Cheapest/Best solution to fix a cracked screen(functional otherwise)-uploadfromtaptalk1349642861881.jpg  

ROM
    Harmonia 2

From my point of view, you would have to replace the glass and LCD screen.
    However, it's really expensive to do so for this phone. My opinion is to sell it for a little bit, then add that to what you would of spent on the LCD and get a new toy.
    I could not find anything under $80 to fix this.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Unhappy Re: Cheapest/Best solution to fix a cracked screen(functional otherwise)

Hey Locool.

well thanks man for even taking the time. I apprec that.

If im looking for the correct thing, which is typing in Samsung Fascinate LCD replacement. I see the word "digitizer' included. Im not sure if this is a common part of the replacement kit I will have to purchase or do i not need this digitizer. Like i said, if im looking at the right thing< the cheapest im findind is 65-75 including shipping.

What is funny is I found a few of this exact phone for 50 bucs. LOL I guess i could buy that. It is just a weird situation. I have a phone sitting here that would be cool just to flash roms and try other with a defective screen only being the problem. But trying tofix it would cost more than the price of an actual used one of these. Dam this sucks

If only there was the perfect (Fix) or (Solve) for this particular threAD://///////> I know I said it before but this sucks..

Locoo....again thank you for trying to help

holy cow....that screen is FUBAR lol

But on a positive note. Yes, you can buy the whole screen assembly from eBay. Just note that it's not OEM...and all the ones there are made by chinese manufacturers. However from what I have seen they DO work and on an older phones, it's just a smarter thing to do.

If you get stumped. Just go to youtube and there are tons of videos that can walk you thru the process.
    If X were here, he would have tried to talk things out first. Unfortunately for you, X isn't here.
    Thanked by:

There are many generic imitation parts out there with very cheap components but we offer the best high quality parts that are specifically designed for your device. We also offer FREE technical support for our customers if they require it. We suggest replacing the touch screen digitizer+LCD combo and we have everything you will need for the repair. You don't have to buy a new phone or pay someone to fix it. Feel free to ask any question on our Live Chat feature at

ROM
    Harmonia 2

Quote Originally Posted by repairsuniverse View Post
    There are many generic imitation parts out there with very cheap components but we offer the best high quality parts that are specifically designed for your device. We also offer FREE technical support for our customers if they require it. We suggest replacing the touch screen digitizer+LCD combo and we have everything you will need for the repair. You don't have to buy a new phone or pay someone to fix it. Feel free to ask any question on our Live Chat feature at
    Whoa, $110 for the assembly is the highest I've seen so far. How old is this phone that parts have to be out of print and expensive?

4g03, you can just buy another phone and doctor yours, but it's just a bit too silly in my opinion to do so.

For reference, the assembly for my phone is about $30, screen and digitizer.

Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    holy cow....that screen is FUBAR lol

But on a positive note. Yes, you can buy the whole screen assembly from eBay. Just note that it's not OEM...and all the ones there are made by chinese manufacturers. However from what I have seen they DO work and on an older phones, it's just a smarter thing to do.

If you get stumped. Just go to youtube and there are tons of videos that can walk you thru the process.
    Thanks for
    Reply. Haha screen sure is. What's crazy is I found this phone in a parking lot, with the actual peel sticker still on the phone from when its brand new. It almost looks like someone purposely removed part of the screen right under the ear piece but I could be wrong. But yeah that's why its so damaged. It was sitting hear for a while and one day I thought about trying to bring it back to life. After I did some looking, its seems some if the LCD screens for sale are almost double the price of the actual used phone I could buy . So I'm clueless on what to do. I so know one thing though, that im not paying 110 for a new LCD.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by repairsuniverse View Post
    I gotcha. I was just making the point that for half the price I would pay you for the kit, I could get the phone with out a cracked screen. You understand what I'm saying? I realize I don't HAVE to buy a another fascinate but when I can get one with an already fixed screen for half of the price I would pay for a kit, see what im saying?

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Locool676 View Post
    Whoa, $110 for the assembly is the highest I've seen so far. How old is this phone that parts have to be out of print and expensive?

4g03, you can just buy another phone and doctor yours, but it's just a bit too silly in my opinion to do so.

For reference, the assembly for my phone is about $30, screen and digitizer.

Hey. Yeah the phone is at least a few years old. I get what your saying. I could just get another phone for HALF the price of the this LCD kit. Wow your saying the thing for your phone is 30? Dam man why is the Samsung Fascinates so much?

Figures..

If it was 50 I would scoop it, but how can pay ever pay any more for it when I can get the same phone with a screen that's perfectly fine for around the same price right?

I realize the dude is just trying to make sale for his business but it gotta be tough for even him to admit that buying his product would be best In my situation.