Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  • 1 Post By SteveCampsOut
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Considering PrePaid and Jumping Ship with AT&T to Straight Talk SIM

Has anyone else done this? I have an Unrooted Samsung Infuse. The Straight Talk operator I spoke to first said I needed an unlocked phone to make the switch, but then backtracked and said I just needed to have access to my phones APN settings (Which I do). Do I need to root my phone to make this jump to Straight Talk? It will save me over $300 even with buying out my contract at $235!! And switching from 450 minutes, unlimited Text and 300 megs data to unlimited EVERYTHING is a nobrainer!

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Default Re: Considering PrePaid and Jumping Ship with AT&T to Straight Talk SIM

It's not unlimited everything. If you use more than the undisclosed limit, your data is throttled to Edge speed. (The limit seems to be 100MB/Day or 2GB/month, whichever comes first.)

Otherwise, order an AT&T SIM and once you change the APN according to the instructions you'll get with the SIM, you should be good. (If you port your current number it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a day or two.)
    Thanked by:
    SteveCampsOut likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Lightbulb Re: Considering PrePaid and Jumping Ship with AT&T to Straight Talk SIM

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    It's not unlimited everything. If you use more than the undisclosed limit, your data is throttled to Edge speed. (The limit seems to be 100MB/Day or 2GB/month, whichever comes first.)

Otherwise, order an AT&T SIM and once you change the APN according to the instructions you'll get with the SIM, you should be good. (If you port your current number it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a day or two.)
    Sorry I never came back and thanked you til now. I forgot about this thread. I did go with Straight Talk in the end and I haven't regretted it! Even though it's not truly unlimited, at half the cost it's still better than $90 a month for only 400 megs data and no texting at all that I had with AT&T!

PS - Long Live Pern!
    paisley99 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Considering PrePaid and Jumping Ship with AT&T to Straight Talk SIM

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCampsOut View Post
    Sorry I never came back and thanked you til now. I forgot about this thread. I did go with Straight Talk in the end and I haven't regretted it! Even though it's not truly unlimited, at half the cost it's still better than $90 a month for only 400 megs data and no texting at all that I had with AT&T!

PS - Long Live Pern!
    Thanks for coming back and sharing your experiences.