Is 1 GB ram enough?

conman1395

May 13, 2012
Visit site
So I really want to get the Droid RAZR MAXX HD but unlike its biggest competitor, the GS3, it only has 1 GB of ram. Is this enough for the next two years of my contract? All answers appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd say yes. The Galaxy S 3 and the Galaxy Note 2 are pretty much the only phones that come with 2GB of RAM. (Maybe that new LG phone too.) Every other flagship phone comes with 1GB. More RAM allows more apps to remain open at the same time which can make switching back and forth between multiple apps smoother. It's nice to have, but not necessary. Even huge high-end games like Shadowgun, Dead Space, NOVA 3, etc don't require that much RAM to run.

I suspect that next year 2GB of RAM will become more common as other manufacturers try to check the box to compete with Samsung, but I don't expect it to be necessary to have that much RAM for a long time.

If you want the RAZR max HD then go for it.

Zero Hunter

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
1g is more than enough unless you are a really heavy power-user or gamer, and even then you probably won't notice the difference/

It'll probably be a long while before apps require 2GB and by the time it does, your contract will be up anywyas. +1 for the RAZR

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 7 only has 1GB of RAM. As lightweight as Motorola's customizations are, you should be fine with 1GB of RAM.

Now if the next Nexus has 2GB....

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Now that the LG Nexus has been revealed to have 2GB of RAM that may speed the transition from 1GB being the standard to 2GB being the standard. (Since the Nexus phone is technically the "reference" device for all android phones.) That being said most high-end phones out now have 1GB and that will be the case at least until the next gen phones come out in the spring/summer release cycle.

zeigk

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
1 GB of RAM is enough for now. Since Gingerbread, application handling in Android have been better and better.
Even though you open a lot of applications, the 1 GB RAM will manage to handle it.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
1GB is enough and if you want to expand storage,you can use the sd card.

@Rosaura1234, I may be mis-understanding, but it sounds like you're confusing RAM and storage (both of which are often refered to as "memory"). The OP is asking is 1GB of RAM (which can't be expanded) is enough. The Droid Razr Maxx HD already has 32 GB of storage.

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
1 GB of RAM is enough, if coupled with a fast CPU.
I`ve had a bad-experience with 1GB of RAM, with a lacklustre processor.
It was laggy and painfully slow.
Nowadays, 2GB of RAM is standard.