Best budget Android phone for T-Mobile Monthly 4G Prepay - might upgrade later

prskier17

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
My wife and I are leaving Verizon after our contract is up in a couple weeks and plan to go the prepaid route and will likely give T-Mobile a shot. Recently we purchased a Nexus 7 (our first Android device) and both really like it. We're on a tight budget which is the main reason we're leaving Verizon along with the attraction of no contract and the ability to use smartphones for less than we're currently paying for our basic phones with texting at Verizon. Anyway... we're looking for the best value "starter" phones knowing that we can upgrade later if we desire. We don't mind buying used and have been looking at the phones on T-Mobile that now include a $50 refill credit. These are the features we'd like:

- WiFI
-GPS
-Speaker phone
-Blue tooth
-Front camera (not a requirement)

My wife is less "geek'd" about smartphones than me so we don't necessarily need the same device. I've been looking at the Samsung Exhibit 4G but also am considering something less expensive (used T-Mobile Prism???) and upgrading if/when I get the itch. She will likely be getting the $30 plan with more minutes and less data and I'd like to try the $30 plan with only 100 minutes but 5g of data... so it would be nice if I could use Groove IP / Google Voice to make calls at least when I'm on WiFi knowing that I can switch plans to Straight Talk or another option if it doesn't work out. Being fairly new to Android and deciding not to plunge headfirst with a Galaxy Nexus... what would you guys recommend as the best value with an emphasis on low cost???

Thanks,
Chris