The case of the SD Card and the missing 6 GB and core files

wyattspoppa

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys,
My unrooted Moto Droid X2's SD card shows 1.07 GB in use and 758 MB available on an 8GB card? Where?s the other 6+ Gigs? I should add, the last time I patched into it via USB port on my PC, it didn?t show any of the original files that the phone builds when installing a fresh card, so I had to create my own empty files and put the files in the folders (I named them android, music, apps, ringtones etc., only LOST.DIR existed (it?s 0.00MB)
Can you tell me why 6 gigs of my card is not seen by my phone or when plugged into my PC? Also why the card didn?t automatically build the appropriate files once I installed it?
I doubt it?s corrupt or I probably wouldn?t be able to work with it in windows or use it on my phone. I?m willing to empty it and ?reset? or whatever you suggest, I back up all apps and pics to my PC. It's possible I pulled it from my PC without remembering to do a "safely eject". I'll buy a new card if you think it's corrupt, how can you tell?
Thanks so much

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't answer your question, but next time you buy a card, it might be worth the extra few bucks for 3 year in-store replacement. I just bought a 32GB cardfor $40, it was an extra $4 for 3-year unconditional warranty. Just something to think about if you have to shell out some bucks again. ( I went with 3 year, as I figured that matches my current phone contract). Nice title though :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure that your 8 GB card is properly inserted and mounted? I wonder if the device isn't reading it, and if the 1.78 GB in use refers to your onboard internal memory (which is sometimes referred to by the device as "SD card" while the actual SD card you insert is called "external SD card" ) and the 768 MB available refers to application memory.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My unrooted Moto Droid X2's SD card shows 1.07 GB in use and 758 MB available on an 8GB card? Where’s the other 6+ Gigs?

I have an X2 and hopefully can help clear this up. When you go into Settings >> Storage you should have three things listed. Application Storage, Internal Storage and SD Card. Application storage will be space for apps installed on internal storage (will only have available space listed). Internal Storage will be free space for you to use on your internal storage (will have Total Space and Available Space listed). SD Card is external storage (will have Total Space and Available Space listed). What is it saying you have Total/Available for SD Card?

I'm curious as to why it's saying you have 1.07 GB in use and 758 MB Free. Are you getting this number from the bottom of the screen on Manage Apps? If so, that is just a breakdown of the portion of internal storage that is dedicated to Apps (how much available, and, how much you have free. Mine lists 713 MB used and 1.2GB free. That is similar to your 1.07GB used and 758MB free, so, it's possible that is what you are looking at.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense, since the app memory is probably 2 gb. If the external SD card is nowhere to be seen on the Settings/Storage screen, I'd still wonder if the card became unmounted, perhaps because it got jarred loose.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense, since the app memory is probably 2 gb. If the external SD card is nowhere to be seen on the Settings/Storage screen, I'd still wonder if the card became unmounted, perhaps because it got jarred loose.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

It's possible, or it could be corrupt or something. I guess we'll find out when the OP comes back and posts the info I asked for above.

wyattspoppa

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, no, I understand the difference between the phone's internal memory and the added micro sd card. Here's the current sitch. I emptied the card, reformatted in windows and it's recognizing all 7.38 GB of free space, but the files that should be there are gone, only the LOST.DIR remains, I need the other files that the phone should have built automatically when I reformatted the card and reinserted it in the phone. So, it's not loose, not mistaken for internal storage, and likely not corrupted or it would be unusable. Just need the files...Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you say only LOST.DIR remains, I assume you mean after you reformatted the card and reinserted and remounted it in your phone?

What happens if you put a different SD card in? Does the same problem occur?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
but the files that should be there are gone, only the LOST.DIR remains, I need the other files that the phone should have built automatically when I reformatted the card and reinserted it in the phone.

Not sure what files you are talking about. The only files/folders on my SD card are files/folders I put there while using the SD card (pics, music, app data).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Did you try formatting the card in the phone? Mounting it may not create the missing directories because of some glitch, but get the card formatted and filled correctly first.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Did you try formatting the card in the phone? Mounting it may not create the missing directories because of some glitch, but get the card formatted and filled correctly first.

Good point, maybe formatting it in the phone will create the folders he is looking for. But, what folders does Android create when an SD card is formatted by it that are necessary. I know the OP mentioned folders like Android, Ringtone, Music. I don't have ringtones or music in folders like that and they are recognized.

Every SD card I have ever put in my phone has worked (not formatted using Android), and, the amount of space was correct. We both have X2s, so, kinda strange.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Good point, maybe formatting it in the phone will create the folders he is looking for. But, what folders does Android create when an SD card is formatted by it that are necessary. I know the OP mentioned folders like Android, Ringtone, Music. I don't have ringtones or music in folders like that and they are recognized.
Ringtones and music are subdirectories of \mp3.

[/QUOTE]Every SD card I have ever put in my phone has worked (not formatted using Android), and, the amount of space was correct.[/QUOTE]
Me too, but I've seen computers do stranger things.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ringtones and music are subdirectories of \mp3.

Not on my phone. I don't have a MP3 folder on either Internal or SD. I can put audio anywhere on either internal or SD and Android knows where they are. Regardless, I can't see those folders being necessary to use an SD card. Isn't that the OPs issue?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49