Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Tether question

I have an Android 2.3 phone with no service contract. My wife has a laptop with a non-working wifi card.

Question: With an app like PDANet and that phone can I hook the phone to my home wifi and tether it to the wife's laptop and her have internet again?

Default Re: Tether question

yes,

Global Posts
    9,312 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

You can get a wifi card for most laptops on eBay for about $30-$40. It's located under one of the removable panels on the bottom of the laptop. Just remove the wires from the old card one by one and plug them into the new card. Be careful with the stiff wire - that's the antenna cable. Don't bend or kink it.

(Make sure that the wifi switch on the laptop [the airplane mode switch] isn't turned off. I've seen a lot of "bad wifi cards" caused by inadvertently brushing past that switch.)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Aye but I have 3 kids I don't have 40 bucks haha. The question was really if tethering would work without a contract. I can mess with laptops and phones but personally if I am holding a phone it should makes calls rather a company has it in their computers or not. That's just me though. Thanks for the help folks.