1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Security Apps. Needed or not?

What is the best security app out there on the market? And are they necessary?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Default Re: Security Apps. Needed or not?

I have never had any reason to run one. I don't do anything sensitive on my phone, so, not really concerned. And, I'm careful. But, I hear people talk about Lookout, Avast, and, I think AVG is another one. Not sure which is the best. You could check reviews on those. But, those are the names I've heard the most.

Do you mean security apps like anti-virus/malware or security apps that allow you to lock/secure/wipe the phone if you lose it or it gets stolen?

For me, it's nay on the former, yay on the latter.
    Last edited by EvilMonkey; 10-19-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Global Posts
    662 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen 6.1

Default Security Apps. Needed or not?

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Do you mean security apps like anti-virus/malware or security apps that allow you to lock/secure/wipe the phone if you lose or steal it?

For me, it's nay on the former, yay on the latter.
    What do you use for security apps that allows you to lock/secure/wipe phone after loss or theft? What is the most popular one?
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Do you mean security apps like anti-virus/malware or security apps that allow you to lock/secure/wipe the phone if you lose or steal it?
    Good point, my mind went right to AV. I use Mobile Recovery because I have TEC through Verizon.

I use Cerberus for anti-theft protection. Lets you locate the phone, activate the GPS, take pictures, record audio, send a message to the phone, sound an alarm, wipe the phone and a bunch of other stuff. But there are a few other ones around. I was using SeekDroid on my last phone and liked the capabilities but switched to Cerberus a couple of months ago when I got my S3. I think it was because of the recording capabilities if I remember right, but I'm honestly not sure....I know there was a reason I switched.

Thankfully I've never had to use these, other than a couple of times I used the alarm feature to find my misplaced phone (in the couch cushions once and in a pocket of my jeans that was in the laundry once).

Android malware is increasing, and as anyone should expect, the antisocial troglodytes who design it and spread it are getting better and trickier at it. So I think it's wise to protect your phone, even if you think you're only downloading from safe sites. After all, malware continues to be found on Google Play, like this latest one:

I use Lookout, which is pretty lightweight, and is consistently one of the top rated security apps according to various publications. Avast is also supposed to be very good, but I think it slows the system down a little more.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Lol, let me get this straight. You are saying we should get AV protection when the trojan you referenced would never have affected anyone if they never downloaded AV protection?

Ha ha, the irony is noted. But still, this should illustrate how malware is getting trickier and more prevalent in the Android ecosystem, and it's just going to get worse.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Yea, it probably will. One day I might get on board.