How can I promote my game? Any help is appreciated!

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: How can I promote my game? Any help is appreciated.

Wait, how do you charge your android devices? The power comes and goes?

Well, due to security reasons which I understand, Google doesn't allow any access to the ratings. The reason is not to be able to manipulate them (like people can't already). My best effort for that was to put the star button in the intro screen, so people who do have an incentive to rate, don't need to look for it. :)

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site

Anyway. Rating-wise, I'm fine now. Surprisingly stars do not count anything in Google Play search. They play so little role that can be ignored. It is just like a good icon for your app! Good reviews! It is only to catch the eyes of users. Once you have 4.5+ stars, it is appealing for the users.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

At work, lol.

Ahh, gotcha. Well, you could still have it pop up every X amount of levels with an option for Remind Me Later/Don't Remind Me. I was playing a game the other day with that built into it.

Yea, I gotcha. I will be sure to rate your game after a couple more plays through. Just played one earlier. Definitely fun.

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for rating! And thanks for playing the game.

The problem is, I don't want to be annoying at all to the user. Personally I hate pop-up messages when playing. So I try to avoid to put them in my game. And I really don't mind about everyone rating my game, because I got enough ratings right now. What I do care is the downloads of the game, and that only relies in mouth-to-mouth spreading (I am already done relying on play search). And for this, I need to make it more and more fun (and bug-less of course), so people are more likely to tell their friends about it.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

No, the power doesn't normally come and go, it's just because of hurricane Sandy hitting a storm front coming from the midwest which knocked out almost all of the east coast. The reason ratings don't count for much is that there are (unfortunately) services that other developers can pay to leave false five star reviews to boost their game's rating to encourage more users to download and install.

Last edited:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for rating! And thanks for playing the game.

The problem is, I don't want to be annoying at all to the user. Personally I hate pop-up messages when playing. So I try to avoid to put them in my game. And I really don't mind about everyone rating my game, because I got enough ratings right now. What I do care is the downloads of the game, and that only relies in mouth-to-mouth spreading (I am already done relying on play search). And for this, I need to make it more and more fun (and bug-less of course), so people are more likely to tell their friends about it.

No problem!!

Ahh, yea, I gotcha. I feel the same way, was just throwing ideas out there.

No, the power doesn't normally come and go, it's just because of hurricane Sandy hitting a storm front coming from the midwest which knocked out almost all of the east coast. The reason ratings don't count for much is that there are (unfortunately) services that other developers can pay to leave false five star reviews to boost their game's rating to encourage more users to download and install.

There are areas around me still without power.

Wow, that's really lame.

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site

I know it's because of the hurricane. But I was just wondering how he can charge his stuff. :)
And yea I have also received emails about these services. I am actually happy that google doesn't count them in for much. I actually got my answer in this phrase:

Google Play is designed for discovery.

This is officially from Google and explains everything. Google Play is designed to give more weight to new apps. So as your app becomes older, it is less likely to get higher in search with the same amount of downloads, than a new app. However, featured app is a different story.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I can charge at work. And, lots of people in my area have generators. The firehouse in my area was also letting people stop in to charge devices, and, I know that some companies, like Verizon, were letting people charge.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I am quite the game freak. I write at a prominent Android gaming site as well.

I haven't played the game yet, but I must tell you one thing - first impressions count. Looking at the screenshots, it looks "dull", in the sense the colours are not vibrant. Mind looking at that and seeing if you can improve on it. Vibrant aesthetics can easily make a game more appealing to a wider audience.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
How does the free app of the day thing work at Amazon? Is it good for business? Have you considered looking into it?

mikencis

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Just played it and actually liked it! Little bit confusing at first but over all its a great game. Don't plan on uninstalling. Maybe have a quick tutorial...

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I am quite the game freak. I write at a prominent Android gaming site as well.

I haven't played the game yet, but I must tell you one thing - first impressions count. Looking at the screenshots, it looks "dull", in the sense the colours are not vibrant. Mind looking at that and seeing if you can improve on it. Vibrant aesthetics can easily make a game more appealing to a wider audience.
You'd be surprised how dull and plain it was before. I have actually worked a lot on making it more shiny. The backgrounds might still be a bit dark, but the contrast has drastically improved. I will work on making it more light. But I can't change the wooden board, because that's part of the original story of the game. That defines the game! :)

How does the free app of the day thing work at Amazon? Is it good for business? Have you considered looking into it?
Well the game is already on Amazon, too (a very very old version of it). But it uses a different billing system (for in-game billing), which I really don't have the time to learn at the moment. I think Google Play has much more users than Amazon anyway, as it comes with every device.

Just played it and actually liked it! Little bit confusing at first but over all its a great game. Don't plan on uninstalling. Maybe have a quick tutorial...
Thanks for your interest. Apart from tutorials (which I will incorporate as soon as possible), if there is anything else you think you like to see, let me know.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I gotcha. Yea, I was going to suggest Amazon, but, I checked for it there and saw it. Just thought it would be another place to catch people. And, the good thing about the Amazon is the free app of the day. It might give your game to a lot of people, but, it gets the word out, ya know? Just a thought.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
OK, I'm quite happy with the game right now. But the problem is, redditors seem to have lost interest in following my posts (or maybe I should be more creative with titles - the ones who do read them give me positive feedback), I haven't received any news from big guys (mods/devs) here, and all other websites are just a waste of time (this one is the most popular). I have also paid already for various online reviews and I can't afford to pay any more for advertisement. So, in one word, I have done everything I could and spent all my budget (money-wise, time-wise, etc) and the game is on its own now.

Last edited:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So, in one word, I have done everything I could and spent all my budget (money-wise, time-wise, etc) and the game is on its own now.

I'll try and post the link around to people I know, see if I can help you to spread it word of mouth. Good luck!!

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Devin! Have you posted the link around? I even had some paid downloads in the past few days!

Edit: Apparently I can't leave the game alone even if I want to! And the new trend of downloads is encouraging. I have just published version 1.8.2. It fixes the old bug when the stretched slime disappeared along with some other changes I will list later in the games sub-forum. I would wait to see if I can find any bugs before I announce it.

Last edited:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
You're very welcome. I think your game is outstanding and I really want to see it be successful.

Yes, I posted the link to some of the AC elite. I hope that gave you a a bump. :)

June_zhang

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
hi,
I'm also a developer,i meet the same problem when i release my game.As we know,without properly promotion.the games are buried in the Google Play Store like so many others.but i still haven't any effective ways.:(:':)'(
i tried your game ,the high rating is very nice but why no reviews?. in my opinion,may be this is a deficiency.Try to guide user review in game.
Hope to communicate with each other

Decoda Hoover

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I have tried your game and it it fun in its own right, but it doesn't really keep me interested. I played it for about twenty minutes and played the two gamemodes on the free version. I love the concept, sound and graphics, but to me it needed something different. I then saw you had a store and realized you had some upgrades that could be added. The only problem was that there is only four and although they are unique to a point they dont seem to change the game enough. I really want this game to succeed so I'm going to leave another post a little bit later and try to find some ways that you could try to improve the game to keep people interested. Which is why I think so many people are uninstalling the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma