Phone Not Connecting to Computer Via USB - HELP!!

koolx

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
i got an S3.. and my computer has xp pro. i had to restore my computer recently from a saved image of my system. before i restored my computer, i was able to connect my S3 to it via USB with no problem. but after i restored it, i'm unable to.

i downloaded and installed the MTP driver, which got my computer to recognize my phone before i restore it. but now its not working and i dont see it listed in Device Manager. whats weird is that when i connect my S3 to my computer, the phone doesnt give any notifications that the phone is connected to USB like it used to before. and it also doesnt give me the 2 options of connecting by either MTP or Camera. all it does is charge my phone. how do i fix this?

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
i tried but it doenst work.

I have had similar issues in the past with other USB devices.

No guarantee & it won't mess anything up:

Try this: Create a Restore Point, then Go to device manager in your PC, disconnect all your USB devices, then uninstall all USB devices one at a time from the device manager and reboot.

After reboot without any USB cables plugged in, after it is up it may show adding/ updating drivers let it finish, then
reboot it again still with no USB cables plugged in.

When it's back up running (totally finished then some) try installing your phones MTP device driver (make sure cable is not in unless instructed otherwise) then try it.

Hope that may work

Jarnld

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You never mentioned if you tried switching the phone from charge only to something else....pull down the notifications area and try selecting another option for USB connections. IE. media sync, Disk Drive, etc.

BUT.....if that doesnt work

I was in the music prod and tech for years, and 95% of the time............bad cable. Data pin on the cable could have crapped out on ya. Try another before you lose your mind doing anything time consuming and crazy.

Will it work on another computer?
Will it work in another USB port?

Ez Mansfield

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
You sir are a genius, a true voice of reason ... yes, of course it was the cable (in my case, anyway) ... the lowly cable the last thing most of us -- even me, who once got four brand new defective HDMI cables in a batch of six -- never remember to swap out first ;...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
One other thing a lot of people overlook. There are 2 types of microUSB-USB cables - 2-wire and 4-2wire. The 2-wire cables are for charging only - there's no data connection. They're used for things like headsets that charge via USB. If you have a bunch of cables, figure out which is which kind and label them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My phone is in static mode.this state is started my Samsung admire 2 sch-r830c connected to another Samsung charger. how can i revive it to its original status
Dr.Panduranga

Welcome to Android Central! You may want to start a new thread, since it sounds like your issue is different from the original issue of this thread. You could start a new thread in this subforum, or post here: Samsung Admire - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I don't understand what you mean by "static mode." Do you mean Safe Mode?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara